Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Cheviot

New in Town
I recently picked up a vintage Lock and Co. Gray fur felt top hat on eBay. However, what the photographs didn't make clear is that the felt has gotten fuzzy, with lots of flyaway hairs. How can I get this fixed? I'm new to this sort of issue.

Cheviot

New in Town
Hard to say without pictures. Not unlikely it was produced like that. It could be a "suede", "velour", "melusine" - or another longhair finish. Not all felt hats are finely pounced (sanded)

I'll post pictures tonight. I wasn't aware of longhair finishes. I'm very new to all things hats.

Roan

One of the Regulars

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I recently picked up a vintage Lock and Co. Gray fur felt top hat on eBay. However, what the photographs didn't make clear is that the felt has gotten fuzzy, with lots of flyaway hairs. How can I get this fixed? I'm new to this sort of issue.

There was a style advertised as a Coachman's hat with a really, really, flyaway fuzzy finish, but those are pretty rare. I'm not saying that's what you have. Those predate the 1930s, though.

Cavanagh catalog, 1931

Cavanagh hat, date unknown, but probably around the same time.

Brad

Last edited:

Mystic

Practically Family
There was a style advertised as a Coachman's hat with a really, really, flyaway fuzzy finish, but those are pretty rare. I'm not saying that's what you have. Those predate the 1930s, though.

Brad

Brad, do you think the wide stitches at the back of the sweatband are original? My memory fails at times, I don't remember seeing stitches like that before. The holes look professional from looking at the photos but could have been added later.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Brad, do you think the wide stitches at the back of the sweatband are original? My memory fails at times, I don't remember seeing stitches like that before. The holes look professional from looking at the photos but could have been added later.

My guess is that they were added later, but I don't really know.

Looks like it has an overwelt with concealed stitches. Pretty different!

Brad

Cheviot

New in Town
Hard to say without pictures. Not unlikely it was produced like that. It could be a "suede", "velour", "melusine" - or another longhair finish. Not all felt hats are finely pounced (sanded)

Picture time!

VLcR9z0.jpg

zwNQJZX.jpg

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There seems to be a recent influx of new old stock Canadian made Biltmores cropping up on ebay. I found a couple of Homburgs in my size for very reasonable prices with unusually reasonable overseas shipping costs too:

The Canadian made ones seemed pretty decent quality for modern production hats. I'll just have to lose those feathers when they arrive :)

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
I got this on the cheap less then $20 delivered

Does anyone know if this a Stetson no mark on the sweat and no paper label saying stetson but a stetson liner and box, seem fairly old any guess a date?

12630864403_df23065b54_b.jpg

12631179504_5768065ff7_c.jpg

12631172074_105a907716_c.jpg

12630845123_7f2df5e4ce_c.jpg

12630840843_062acf8625_c.jpg

12631158314_7ed3457259_c.jpg

12630702045_13d18760f5_c.jpg

The stamping inside says Lot 5788 and above that 2 81

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member