Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Ormazd

One of the Regulars
Bargain indeed. I've never seen that style liner, so will be interested to hear the experts weigh in.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I didn't bid on this 20s hat, but I found the description interesting. The seller states that this hat, as well as the other hats she had up for auction at the time, came from a millinery shop in Parkersburg, West Virginia called McGrail's and that it closed during the Depression. I know it's a long shot but have any of you guys from West Virginia heard of this shop?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/True-Vintag...EyhOd8btSQUVrTIk3LlvI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Great find! LOT5788 would be somewhere in the 1920s, the 2 above likely the width of the sweatband. Can you wear the tiny size?

I was thinking how the silk lining on that hat looked like the lining on my 20s cloches right down to the typefont used to print out the milliner's name and location.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
In all my vintage store and thrift shop diving I have never come across that name, sorry. That town is about an hr and a half north of me though so maybe somebody that lives there has an oral history?
I didn't bid on this 20s hat, but I found the description interesting. The seller states that this hat, as well as the other hats she had up for auction at the time, came from a millinery shop in Parkersburg, West Virginia called McGrail's and that it closed during the Depression. I know it's a long shot but have any of you guys from West Virginia heard of this shop?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/True-Vintag...EyhOd8btSQUVrTIk3LlvI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
In all my vintage store and thrift shop diving I have never come across that name, sorry. That town is about an hr and a half north of me though so maybe somebody that lives there has an oral history?

Thanks. I did a google search when I saw the auction and turned up nothing. I figured that since it closed so long ago that maybe the history behind the store never had a chance to make it onto the interwebs.

ETA: However, I did come across a couple of people with that last name still residing in Parkersburg. I would bet they are related to the owner since that is such a distinctive last name.

Last edited:

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
Great find! LOT5788 would be somewhere in the 1920s, the 2 above likely the width of the sweatband. Can you wear the tiny size?

Nope unfortunately i'm up in the 7 3/8 7 1/2 department when it comes to head size, but i just have this one sitting out on my office table, it will look great at the vintage show i'm doing on saturday!

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Okay, I had this hat on my watch list but wasn't sure about it. As the auction drew to a close I determined that I really liked it, it is from a Parisian milliner and I just imagined Josephine Baker wearing it so I won it for a little over 100 bucks! What a steal! Look at this beauty, I bet there is nothing like it that has survived all these years! The seller advertised it as a 30s hat but I'm thinking this is more of a 40s hat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fre...EyhOd8btSQUVrTIk3LlvI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Okay, I had this hat on my watch list but wasn't sure about it. As the auction drew to a close I determined that I really liked it, it is from a Parisian milliner and I just imagined Josephine Baker wearing it so I won it for a little over 100 bucks! What a steal! Look at this beauty, I bet there is nothing like it that has survived all these years! The seller advertised it as a 30s hat but I'm thinking this is more of a 40s hat.

What a beauty! I really love the wine-leaves, and it seems a very interesting mix of textures. Congratulations! Can't wait to see a Baker-cover-shot ... with wine-leaves in the hair and banana-skirt round the waist ... interesting, indeed! :cool:

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
What a beauty! I really love the wine-leaves, and it seems a very interesting mix of textures. Congratulations! Can't wait to see a Baker-cover-shot ... with wine-leaves in the hair and banana-skirt round the waist ... interesting, indeed! :cool:

I have to admit I'm not really a fan of those double textured hats but I do have a few!

Yup, I could see Josephine wearing that one!

It would be fun to photoshop the hat on top of her picture, lol.

Wonderful find CS :)

Thank you again MOK!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82