Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Wow, 96. You know what, I have a great grandmother who is that old, and she lives mainly by herself in Croatia (my family and I even plan to visit her this summer for the first time in ten years). That's a great age to live to, not many people are blessed to live their earthly lives that long. R.I.P. Jack LaLanne.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
If you're implying what I think it is, then yes, I agree, and likewise, for the same reason, I won't truly die either. But I am aware that members here hold differing beliefs and philosophies, so I don't mean to offend anyone.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
He lived not that far from me. Met him several times in Morro Bay. He was an inspiration for us gym rats. May he rest easy now, but knowing him he already has the hereafter on their toes.

Cheers!

Dan

The Good

Call Me a Cab
He lived not that far from me. Met him several times in Morro Bay. He was an inspiration for us gym rats. May he rest easy now, but knowing him he already has the hereafter on their toes.

Cheers!

Dan

It's nice that you were able to meet him. I did not know about him beyond certain commercials for his products, and I do own one, but he seems to have been a nice man, and an inspiration for leading a healthy, active lifestyle.

Pompidou

One Too Many
96 is fitting for someone so healthy. It's probably just experience bias, but whenever I think of a person living to remarkably old age, it's never a health nut. It's the chain smoking, cigar puffing, drinker that defies convention. Him living to near 100 is a validation of what he lived for. I remember, back when I was a kid, always having stomach problems that'd keep me awake all night, and I'd watch his juicer infomercials pretty much every time as a distraction.

EDIT:
@Tom - I'm with you on the whole dying thing. By the time you and I get to the age of average life expectancy (which should only increase), they'll be able to more reliably and inexpensively freeze people for later. That's my plan. Thaw me out in the year 2,500 with a cure for old age and every ailment.

Last edited:

in/y

One of the Regulars
I remember reading a while back that Jack had invented some of the basic equipment seen in most gyms today, notably the cable/pulley machines with the stacked weights.

Apparently he never sought any financial gain from his inventions.

That always made me think a bit more of him.

I also had a Homer Simpson "Doh!" moment listening to him on an online Armed Forces Network program once. He was talking about having a salad at a restaurant. Along with suggesting that you ask for a salad with a lot of vegetables an just a little lettuce (another good idea), he said that he removed the yolks from the hard boiled eggs he got with the salad. Doh!

Now hard-boiled egg white sandwiches (with the surprisingly tasty Veganaise) are a staple in my lunch bag.

Thanks Jack!!

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
John Barry, film score composer extraordinaire passed today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12321610.
His work has been heard by generation and hopefully generations to come. I'll always remember him for his James Bond work, superb.
I can never hear the Theme from On Her Majesty's Secret Service without think about that great ski chase, the music fits the scene so perfectly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe