Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Thanks. Also, thanks for the welcome, but really, I should be welcoming you to the forum, as I've been a member longer than you (although I've racked up far fewer posts)! ;)

Well look at that,I just seen your post numbers and never even paid attention to your join date.As I posted to VC one night that only means that I have less of a life than the rest of you do.(haha)

Finally gave into the market pressure & got some French/coffin toed boots.
They are comfortable like my other ropers but seem longer...
JustinBoots2.jpg

Those are nice looking boots!--John
Thanks John. They were having a 20% off sale of the Bent Rail Justins.
I haven't bought Justins in quite a few years & these are USA made.
My wife bought me a pair of Lucchese's for Christmas...full quill Ostrich, square toe...will try to find a photo...

These look close =
Lucchese_1.jpg

Last edited:

Bigfoot66

New in Town
I've admitted already that I've been "bitten"...addicted...or whatever...and my wife has as well....but I question trends...what I mean by this is that I am now wanting a pair of caiman..black...matte rather than shiny...mainly because I won't/don't wear boots with khakis or suits....only jeans...for no specific reason.

That said...I've been able to score my small collection via Ebay and have avoided high costs for exotics and have gotten some really great gently worn pairs that have already been broken in. I'd rather the look of worn rather than new.

But when you're out to pull the plug on a really expensive pair, such as a caiman, do you go with square toe, which is in style now, or pointed (or somewhat pointed)...will square toes be here forever? Seems like the pointed ones never go out...just get put in back when squares come in...but I know that they will again return. But will square toes go away and never come back?

What's your take? I know the response will probably be to purchase what you like...but....

What's your take? I know the response will probably be to purchase what you like...but....

I don't & never will do pointed. Roper toe or wide French square to are all I have.
The pointiest boots I have are 2 pairs of Super Ropers, 1 by Justin & 1 by Tony Lama.
They are slightly less round than standard ropers, close to my Lucchese ropers.
I resisted the square toe look for the last few years & only went for it when a Lounger here explained how it helped with the spreading of his foot as he has aged.
I always liked the calvary boots of pre & post War Between the States...
Never liked looking down & seeing points coming out of the end of my Wranglers.
That look is for ladies' pumps, IMHO

illumin8em

A-List Customer
I don't & never will do pointed. Roper toe
I always liked the calvary boots of pre & post War Between the States...
Never liked looking down & seeing points coming out of the end of my Wranglers.
That look is for ladies' pumps, IMHO

I totally agree

I totally agree
To each his (or her) own. Enjoy what you like. I do, points and all. And I'm not a city faux boy either - born in Butte MT and have ridden and worn boots since about 3. Started out round, but went pointy as time went by. Still have some round engineers boots, so I'm not all girly :)

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Hey at least I'm confident with my big ,smelly,hairy a@#ed,trucker girly self and my pointy boots(haha)
[video=youtube;zGLmiWfoJx8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zGLmiWfoJx8#t=18s[/video]

TipTop

Practically Family
I have settled on what is known as a 3/4" (squared-off point) toe. But I hasten to add that I have an E width foot, so to accommodate my width the pointy toe boxes have to be l-o-n-g and can get in the way--literally.

Since we are talking about 3/4 toes, I'll show off my custom Christmas present that Santa at Falconhead/TresOutlaws sent to me recently. The matching 1.5" belt just arrived too. Pardon my bragging, but I think they are magnificent.
16458375-md.jpg

3/4" Toe
16458378-md.jpg

16458376-md.jpg

Merry Christmas all!

Bigfoot66

New in Town
Probably need to clarify....by pointed I mean R toe or equivalent.
I've admitted already that I've been "bitten"...addicted...or whatever...and my wife has as well....but I question trends...what I mean by this is that I am now wanting a pair of caiman..black...matte rather than shiny...mainly because I won't/don't wear boots with khakis or suits....only jeans...for no specific reason.

That said...I've been able to score my small collection via Ebay and have avoided high costs for exotics and have gotten some really great gently worn pairs that have already been broken in. I'd rather the look of worn rather than new.

But when you're out to pull the plug on a really expensive pair, such as a caiman, do you go with square toe, which is in style now, or pointed (or somewhat pointed)...will square toes be here forever? Seems like the pointed ones never go out...just get put in back when squares come in...but I know that they will again return. But will square toes go away and never come back?

Been wearing them since 4, had horses since then too. Regional as well as horse discipline influence at play to. I came up with team ropers, working cow horse, cutters, and reiners. Wranglers and Ropers were like a uniform. When urban cowboy craze hit, the city boys had the dress boots with the pointy toes. Belt buckles were another differentiator. You wore what you won or what came on the belt.
Met some Montana, Wyoming, Nevada horsemen over the years at NRHA futurity. Like their rigs, hat creases, etc., but not going to tuck my jeans in my boots. Don't have the shafts for that.

Never tucked my jeans either. I hated the days when movies made western boots popular. Styles went nutso and the prices went crazy. Had to drive up to Casper WY or the like to get out of the Hollywood boot scene here in LA. I did have a couple crazier pairs in the 80’s. when in Rome... :)

That is about same toe on my Super Ropers. I think J toe when I hear "pointed toe"
I like X and J. They also vary brand to brand. I don't like the ultra pointy and extended toe boxes on some. Way too fashiony and not very comfortable. My dailys are Lucchese rough outs. New soles every few years and they keep on going.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I think for some of us as we get older, we realize that comfort in a boot means a lot to what boot we would want to wear. In part (at least for me) my feet are getting wider and longer with age. Used to wear a 10D just about eight years ago....then 10/2 E..now in a cowboy boot, has to be 11 EE or I can't wear them. Custom made boots have helped a lot. But the roper style or more conservative shape toe does make an off the rack boot feel so much better. My days of wanting boots that are so pointed you could kick an ant in the corner and kill it, are over. They just would kill my feet in the process.

I also find that a working boot makes more sense to be 100 percent comfortable. And there are plenty of nice boots that are considered a working boot that make it in the looks department as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld