Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Never liked the low "walking heel" style boot(I think that's what they call it)to me they don't quite make it as a dress boot.That being said the ones I wear when I'm working around the shack and what not are Canada West Boots and have a low heel,not as many chances to twist an ankle that way.Oh by the way I had a question for you are you related to a Cleve Dean if my memory serves me correct he was or is from Georgia also,world class arm wrestler back in the day?

When I look down I just see the toes but feel the heels...Dress boots need to be as comfortable as my others. JMHO
Don't know Cleve but the Dean's settled SC & GA after the Rev War & is the 4th most common last name.

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
These are going to be my next pair Chippewa Packers,never had a pair of lace up cowboy boots so not sure how
I'll like them but I prefer these to to the Justin Ropers
CBC_29408_R.png
I have two pairs of lacers...love them, as I cannot tolerate the cowboy heel any longer. They also have one with elephant or ostrich in this brand...which I hope to have one day.

Can anyone recommend a good brand that isn't too expensive? I've been looking at some on e-bay (many stores now ship abroad) but the choices are overwhelming. I have seen people selling Laredo and El Presidente boots for what seems like reasonable sums (perhaps too reasonable?). What is a good 'entry level' boot. I dont want anything too fancy, just a well-made pair with nice lines. Like a roper style, or a square toe, no cuban heels though. TIA!

Nocona is owned by Justin & so is Tony Lama, sort of like HatCo owning Stetson, Resistol, Dobbs, Knox, etc.
Some of Justin boots are made in China, wouldn't own them.
Personally, I like Lucchese & Rios of Mercedes. Not sure if they meet your not too expensive criteria but there are some deals to be found.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Yea that's always been the thing about cowboy boots they put all the intricate and pretty parts on the uppers and you cover them with your pant leg.Guess you could tuck them inside your boots then you definitely would get more comments about that instead of the hats you wear.Probably not the best type either.

Last edited:

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
When I look down I just see the toes but feel the heels...Dress boots need to be as comfortable as my others. JMHO
Don't know Cleve but the Dean's settled SC & GA after the Rev War & is the 4th most common last name.
Never really found cowboy boots to be uncomfortable anyway(breaking in period doesn't really count)

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Can anyone recommend a good brand that isn't too expensive? I've been looking at some on e-bay (many stores now ship abroad) but the choices are overwhelming. I have seen people selling Laredo and El Presidente boots for what seems like reasonable sums (perhaps too reasonable?). What is a good 'entry level' boot. I dont want anything too fancy, just a well-made pair with nice lines. Like a roper style, or a square toe, no cuban heels though. TIA!

Stay away from the Laredo's they're real pretty but they're not a well made boot, now that's only my opinion and I've had a couple pairs cause they were cheap, Dan Post,Nacona,Hondo make a decent boot and reasonably priced.Most boot makers have different styles as well so I don't think it would be a problem finding the type your looking for,isn't the shopping half the fun of buying?

Last edited:

MillersCrossing

Familiar Face
Thanks for the tip!

Nocona is owned by Justin & so is Tony Lama, sort of like HatCo owning Stetson, Resistol, Dobbs, Knox, etc.
Some of Justin boots are made in China, wouldn't own them.
Personally, I like Lucchese & Rios of Mercedes. Not sure if they meet your not too expensive criteria but there are some deals to be found.

MillersCrossing

Familiar Face
Thanks, will make a note of those brands!

Stay away from the Laredo's they're real pretty but they're not a well made boot, now that's only my opinion and I've had a couple pairs cause they were cheap, Dan Post,Nacona,Hondo make a decent boot and reasonably priced.Most boot makers have different styles as well so I don't think it would be a problem finding the type your looking for,isn't the shopping half the fun of buying?

TipTop

Practically Family

I would try to find some store that carries your size and try them on. The biggest issue in boots is "rounding the corner" that is getting your instep and heel past the turn to the front. I have high arches and insteps (left is 3/4 size larger and higher too) and so fit is first for me. Also, if you have a wide foot, I'd avoid pointed toes; even though that point is all "decoration", where it begins to taper can cause crimping of your toes.

I really like Ariat riding boots for comfort. They are very reasonably priced and have a cushioned insole and are well "engineered" for real riding. I have a pair made in Mexico that are very good. I purchased them here, cheap at Sierra Trading Post, which ships internationally and has a great return policy. They have continuing sales--at different discount rates (even multiple sales per day at different discount rates), so get on their mailing list and stay tuned. It may take a while for them to come up (they apparently buy leftovers and excess stock), but when they hit, they hit with multiple styles and sizes.

You might also look at Lucchese 2000 and 1896 lines; they are lower pricing from the "Classics", and I think made in Mexico, but the 2000 line has a padded insole etc. That's about all I have familiarity with. You'll find a brand that fits right and stick to it as you work your way up the decorative and exotic leathers chain.

kyboots

Practically Family
Thanks, will make a note of those brands!

Hey Miller: I agree with most everything here. You need to try these boots, so a good trip to Texas is indicated for your research. You still do get what you pay for in most boots. The Justin brands are owned by Warren Buffett thus it is profit above all else. Just after saying that I still find some Tony Lama boots a good deal. If you can find a good full quill ostrich in their "cushion comfort" line you can't go wrong as long as you have a good fit. 10 years ago ostrich boots like this would be $500-$600 dollars, but with the increased availability of ostrich they are less than $300 if not cheaper on sale or on Ebay ( provided you can return ). Don't buy boots on Ebay without a full return policy! These were my everyday go to work boots. The ostrich is extremely soft and comfortable. I love these boots. The Lucchese boots are my overall favorite and some of the most expensive I own, they are special occasion and look it and will last. Tiptop mentioned some lower priced Lucchese like the 2000 series ( cheapest ) and the 1883, these are not bad boots, and fairly available at discounts. They are well worth looking into. I will say as I have gotten older, I am prefering the roper style for comfort and I too like the Ariats here especially those with crepe soles. They extrude comfort and you can't go wrong with the price. Wesco engineers float my boat too so look at a good pair of engineers if you want to go in this direction. Wesco's are too pricey but there are other brands. You can't go wrong with a good pair of boots, they can last forever if good to start. Don't jump into anything too quick, try these on. Don't you have boot stores in South Africa? Where do the hunters go? Good luck. Always available for some advice whether you want it or not!--John

Last edited:

Bigfoot66

New in Town
KY: I followed your lead a few years ago from this site...having never worn a boot in my life... and since have made 5 purchases--all on Ebay--so Miller, he's right on all accounts. But the only thing I'd suggest is either going to a store who sells these brands OR go to a place like Zappos who guarantees free shipping both ways. Make your choice, and then order two sizes. Once you figure each brand out, you know what to do. I will tell you that Lucchese is true to size, as is Justin and Ariat. I don't find Tony Lama and Dan Post to be that...they're somewhat small.

Having been a tennis shoe/loafer type of guy for so long I'm sure I had some shocks and stares..but none of my 5 are flashy...simple elephant, ostrich and caiman. I'd wear them all day, every day if I could. I never thought I could pull them off...and damn they're comfortable...and you feel as if you could lead a roundup LOL.

Hey Miller: I agree with most everything here. You need to try these boots, so a good trip to Texas is indicated for your research. You still do get what you pay for in most boots. The Justin brands are owned by Warren Buffett thus it is profit above all else. Just after saying that I still find some Tony Lama boots a good deal. If you can find a good full quill ostrich in their "cushion comfort" line you can't go wrong as long as you have a good fit. 10 years ago ostrich boots like this would be $500-$600 dollars, but with the increased availability of ostrich they are less than $300 if not cheaper on sale or on Ebay ( provided you can return ). Don't buy boots on Ebay without a full return policy! These were my everyday go to work boots. The ostrich is extremely soft and comfortable. I love these boots. The Lucchese boots are my overall favorite and some of the most expensive I own, they are special occasion and look it and will last. Tiptop mentioned some lower priced Lucchese like the 2000 series ( cheapest ) and the 1883, these are not bad boots, and fairly available at discounts. They are well worth looking into. I will say as I have gotten older, I am prefering the roper style for comfort and I too like the Ariats here especially those with crepe soles. They extrude comfort and you can't go wrong with the price. Wesco engineers float my boat too so look at a good pair of engineers if you want to go in this direction. Wesco's are too pricey but there are other brands. You can't go wrong with a good pair of boots, they can last forever if good to start. Don't jump into anything too quick, try these on. Don't you have boot stores in South Africa? Where do the hunters go? Good luck. Always available for some advice whether you want it or not!--John

kyboots

Practically Family
KY: I followed your lead a few years ago from this site...having never worn a boot in my life... and since have made 5 purchases--all on Ebay--so Miller, he's right on all accounts. But the only thing I'd suggest is either going to a store who sells these brands OR go to a place like Zappos who guarantees free shipping both ways. Make your choice, and then order two sizes. Once you figure each brand out, you know what to do. I will tell you that Lucchese is true to size, as is Justin and Ariat. I don't find Tony Lama and Dan Post to be that...they're somewhat small.

Having been a tennis shoe/loafer type of guy for so long I'm sure I had some shocks and stares..but none of my 5 are flashy...simple elephant, ostrich and caiman. I'd wear them all day, every day if I could. I never thought I could pull them off...and damn they're comfortable...and you feel as if you could lead a roundup LOL.
Hey Bigfoot thanks for the compliment. Somebody listened to me for once. ( better than the undeserved spanking I got supporting American hospitals on another thread ). Glad you got send good boots. Now send in some pictures. You are really into it now! That sound's frightening when already up to five pair!--John

Mercer

One of the Regulars
Here's a pair that I recently ordered:

$(KGrHqZ,!qQFC,oSE1fTBQtowWgRjg~~60_12.JPG

The style is Lucchese 1883 N1596 (tan ranch hand). They're gonna replace the Lucchese 1883 tan mad dogs whose picture I posted earlier. In fact, because I'm selling them on eBay, as well as the pair of Lucchese 1883 chocolate mad dogs (which I also posted earlier): here and here. I'm replacing the chocolate mad dogs because I never really liked the toe (same with the tan ones as well). The snip toes on both boots look nice in the picture, but in person I decided they're a little too pointy for my taste. I learned the hard way that what I really wanted was Lucchese's 7 toe, not the 5 toe (which you can compare here). So a new pair of chocolate mad dogs with a 7 toe is something I also intend to get real soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld