Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

scooter

Practically Family
TipTop and Bulldog, those boots are at opposite ends of the ornate spectrum, but both classically beautiful in their own right. I love cowboy boots, though I only have 2 pair. I recently found a pair on Craigslist and purchased them form a lady who told me her father had bought them on a trip to visit her over 30 years ago. he wore them once or twice, and her son wore them once. He left them at her house and she used them as decoration, for more than 30 years and finally decided to let them go. Except for minor scuffing on the sole, they look like they're a week old. I'll post a pic when I have more time. Gotta go to work shortly.

TipTop

Practically Family
TipTop and Bulldog, those boots are at opposite ends of the ornate spectrum, but both classically beautiful in their own right. I love cowboy boots, though I only have 2 pair. I recently found a pair on Craigslist and purchased them form a lady who told me her father had bought them on a trip to visit her over 30 years ago. he wore them once or twice, and her son wore them once. He left them at her house and she used them as decoration, for more than 30 years and finally decided to let them go. Except for minor scuffing on the sole, they look like they're a week old. I'll post a pic when I have more time. Gotta go to work shortly.

First things first: Get some Bick #4 leather conditioner, and some CREAM polish on those babies immediately! Good luck with them; can't wait to see 'em.

TipTop

Practically Family
I grew up in New York state, in a small town 2 hours north of NYC. Being from New York, people always expected me to dress in Urban style (baggy clothes, backward baseball hat, sneakers), and to even have a Bronx accent!

I is really more accurate to describe it as "Rural" vs. Urban" wear, and the same goes for accents in speaking.

If I rode horse in a dry environment, I imagine they would work well, and occasionally I will wear cowboy boots on a motorcycle as well, leather soles and all.

I have just found that smooth leather soles don't seem to work well in the mud, snow, and ice I have encountered in places I have lived. I have wound up flat on my back more that once wearing leather soles on an icy day :)

Anyhow, your mileage may vary, but this has been my experience and my observations. Feel free to disagree if you do - I am curious to hear other opinions on this topic.

All absolute truths! Growing up 2.5 hours north of NYC (Saratoga County), I know exactly what you mean. I recently went to a rodeo outside of Saratoga (big horse country) and it was the only place I saw boots all summer long. I wore my most plain J-toe moderate heel, as it was my first visit to the weekly event. And they are probably appropriate for any future visits...pretty conservative crowd. Based on that, I might say, rather than "rural" that you could say "country" as that wold include country-western music fans, square/line dancing fans etc. In sum, rodeo looks to be the centrer stage for cowboy wear. In fact, the fancy flaming youths below, were purchased from an online shop that was closing down, run by the wife of the head of operations and marketing etc. for the Pro rodeo circuit. She kept urging me to come out to Las Vegas for the big end of the year show.

As for NE weather, I get my boot-wearing in at this time of year. The minute we get snow/ice, I put them away. Last winter, was very dry, so I got a lot of mileage out of them, but they are truly treacherous, and actually very cold in low temps. I guess that shows how they can be comfortable in Texas heat.:eusa_doh:

I also had a rubber sole applied to a new pair of Falconhead Flaming Youths for motorcycle use. The heel isn't as cumbersome as I anticipated, but I will not wear leather soles on a bike.

bulldog1935

Suspended

scooter

Practically Family
I'll take your advice on the leather conditioner. In the meantime, here are a couple pics of the boots I told you about.

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Those boots are art work. Wow, really nice. I recently ordered some custom made boots, waiting for them so I can get some pictures when they arrive.

bulldog1935

Suspended
gorgeous boots.

I went to John Marshall HS in San Antonio, which even when I was there had a history and reputation as the ag school.
My older sister went through a phase where she only dated rodeo cowboys. (It didn't last, she's married to a VP of an oil company.) (and don't think redneck, she's an accomplished pianist.)
But what Tony Lama used to call professional ropers had traditional taller heel, though round toe, with short tops and a deep cut in front and back.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tony-Lama-F...ited-For-Dress-Or-Work-Antelope-/130780454595
here's a pair that I'd buy if they were in my size.
The reason the tops are cut like this is that your pants are inside your boots against the horse, and outside your boots on the outside.
Protects your pants and keeps them snug and out of the way.
I grew up thinking it was so cool watching guys walk around wearing them that way - in on the inside, out on the outside.

Last edited:

texan

New in Town
jimmer_5,

"Cavalry-cut" is actually called "Cavalry boot-cut". Boot cut jeans are jeans that are f l a r e d at the bottom, over the top of the boot instead of cinching up around the boot itself. You could say 'bell bottoms' which is close, but cav boot-cut are a wee bit shorter. Here's a pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18176393@N00/8071190084/in/photostream

You will notice that boot cut are slightly longer at the bottom, a full 1/2 in. (and in some cases 1-2 in.) more width on the cuff. They call it "boot cut" but I grew up with the term "cavalry-cut" from my parents and rodeo/ag folks I ran with in high school and later in law enforcement. The term is no longer used and I have yet to see a sign at Cavendar's or El Patron describing it this way.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
jimmer_5,

"Cavalry-cut" is actually called "Cavalry boot-cut". Boot cut jeans are jeans that are f l a r e d at the bottom, over the top of the boot instead of cinching up around the boot itself. You could say 'bell bottoms' which is close, but cav boot-cut are a wee bit shorter. Here's a pic:

You will notice that boot cut are slightly longer at the bottom, a full 1/2 in. (and in some cases 1-2 in.) more width on the cuff. They call it "boot cut" but I grew up with the term "cavalry-cut" from my parents and rodeo/ag folks I ran with in high school and later in law enforcement. The term is no longer used and I have yet to see a sign at Cavendar's or El Patron describing it this way.

Texan - Thanks for the explanation - I had never heard that name before. I wear boot cut jeans exclusively, and let me tell you, it is a much abused term. The majority of the "boot cut" jeans on the marketplace are nothing more than straight leg jeans that were named "boot cut" for marketing purposes. To check, I always lay the jeans flat and fold the leg up so that the hem is laid across the knee. If the hem is not at least 0.5" wider than the knee (1" larger in true circumference), I don't consider them truly "boot cut". I wear a lot of Levi's 527's and 517's, and some newer Wranglers as well. The thicker the denim, the better.

kyboots

Practically Family
Wow I have not heard the term "calvary cut " for years. I never really knew what it meant. What a trip to the past. I agree "Boot Cut" now is marketing, They should be flared to be "Boot Cut". Most of these are just a little longer to reach the vamp, but pile up on the outside of the boot. Cool if you are young and thin, but not when "Mature". John

TipTop

Practically Family
jimmer_5,

Interesting Western Factoid (doubt they were ever marketed in the east that way), but I would call them stovepipe or straight leg, especially now that skinny and tapered is the sorta norm for fashionable jeans. I have some Mason's IceBreakers (Italian, no less) that are cut like that and they look GREAT with boots. That's as opposed to the floppy overrun look of bell bottoms. If you can get boot cuts at your precise length, they look great but most a flared long bells and break terribly across the vamp...and if your vamps are fancy, that's countger-productive.

TipTop

Practically Family
I'll take your advice on the leather conditioner. In the meantime, here are a couple pics of the boots I told you about.

IMG_0681.JPG

WOW! Those butterflies are ready to take flight! Gorgeous. Any brand name in them? I'd guess those came from a top-flight maker; magnificent inlay and stitch work. Congrats and wear them proudly.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
What nobody's gonna run out and buy themselves a pair of 125th Anniversary Lucchese boots...$12500.00,they'd go perfect with the BBrent Black $25000.00 Panama hat.But that's just my opinion,I'll stick to my Boulets,Tony Lamas,Dan Posts and such.

Last edited:
These are going to be my next pair Chippewa Packers,never had a pair of lace up cowboy boots so not sure how I'll like them but I prefer these to to the Justin Ropers...
I have 2 pairs of lacers, roger style = Justin & Ariat. (heels are too high on the Packers for me). They are good for ankle support but make my ankles & lower legs sweat too much. I only wear them in winter if at all. In BC, you have the right climate for them.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I have 2 pairs of lacers, roger style = Justin & Ariat. (heels are too high on the Packers for me). They are good for ankle support but make my ankles & lower legs sweat too much. I only wear them in winter if at all. In BC, you have the right climate for them.
Never liked the low "walking heel" style boot(I think that's what they call it)to me they don't quite make it as a dress boot.That being said the ones I wear when I'm working around the shack and what not are Canada West Boots and have a low heel,not as many chances to twist an ankle that way.Oh by the way I had a question for you are you related to a Cleve Dean if my memory serves me correct he was or is from Georgia also,world class arm wrestler back in the day?

Last edited:

MillersCrossing

Familiar Face
Can anyone recommend a good brand that isn't too expensive? I've been looking at some on e-bay (many stores now ship abroad) but the choices are overwhelming. I have seen people selling Laredo and El Presidente boots for what seems like reasonable sums (perhaps too reasonable?). What is a good 'entry level' boot. I dont want anything too fancy, just a well-made pair with nice lines. Like a roper style, or a square toe, no cuban heels though. TIA!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld