Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Goose.

Practically Family
Chuck Bobuck said:
That's funny Goose! You know you can't wear food on your head. :D I'll try and get some more pics. I think the crown might be a little taller and have less taper than the 'Sydney'.
Well now I am more confused :eusa_doh: The Squatter pic that Tone posted doesn't exhibit as much taper as the other pics.

Chuck! Post those pics!!! Please ;) Who needs food when one can support the Australian economy and get a lid that will stay with ya longer than a Big Mac?

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Squatter Stuff

I put the Squatter back into an open crown. I was going to show how little taper it had, but I see plenty of taper...

Sq_measure_fr.jpg

Sq_measure_sd-1.jpg

I gave it a dry rebash. A center dent with slight indents. This doesn't look like the Squatter in the photo that Tone posted. That one belongs to FDM (Fatdutchman), who isn't fat at all BTW. My recollection is that FDM's Squatter was a little big for him to begin with. Might want to search that. The crown on his Squatter is bulbous. Mine has taper, like most others I've seen...

Sq_rb_pinch_fr-1.jpg

Sq_rb_pinch_side-1.jpg

Here it is on. The center dent shows taper from side to side looking at it from the front. Looking a tad tall, I want to avoid the dunce-cap look, so I'll work on that later.
sq_rb_jr_f_2-2.jpg

sq_rb_jr_f_3-1-1.jpg

From the side. Some taper, but I can live with that...

sq_rb_jr_sd-2.jpg

Finally, Goose...here's a comparison shot with the Fed. Sorry about the quality, I'm no 3F...

Sq_vs_Fed_frnt.jpg

Sq_vs_Fed_side.jpg

I could use a little nap now. :D

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Chuck Bobuck said:
I put the Squatter back into an open crown. I was going to show how little taper it had, but I see plenty of taper...

Taper shmaper! Excellent comparison and contrast photos, Chuck. I could use a nap too but I have to mow the front lawn first!

Then I reckon I'll have to take the dog out and check on the hatch [angel].

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
CRH said:
Taper shmaper! Excellent comparison and contrast photos, Chuck. I could use a nap too but I have to mow the front lawn first!

Then I reckon I'll have to take the dog out and check on the hatch [angel].

Thanks CRH, I mowed front and back last night! Of course that's urban lawns. :)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Chuck --

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know -- but a diamond crease is often effective at lessening any perception of taper on the crown.

That being said -- I think the hat looks great. (You may want to consider lengthening the side dents just a tad). Honestly, I think that a very slight degree of taper on a crown is a fantastic look. Taper isn't always a 4-letter word (or 5-letter word for that matter...). ;)

Cheers,
JtL

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
jimmy the lid said:
Chuck --

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know -- but a diamond crease is often effective at lessening any perception of taper on the crown.

That being said -- I think the hat looks great. (You may want to consider lengthening the side dents just a tad). Honestly, I think that a very slight degree of taper on a crown is a fantastic look. Taper isn't always a 4-letter word (or 5-letter word for that matter...). ;)

Cheers,
JtL

Jimmy, I appreciate you weighing in and the kind words. I thought a diamond could be too low, but after rebashing I have more height, so I'm going to play around and see what I come up with. I don't mind the taper so much either. Just after a good balance between the brim, crown and my head. :)

Cheers, CB

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Chuck --

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know -- but a diamond crease is often effective at lessening any perception of taper on the crown

This is a game of millimeters with The Squatter. It's a traditional hat and this is it's essence (5 1/4 in. tall).

Sq_measure_sd-1.jpg

How many movies have you seen with young boys and old men, and every age in between wearing a hat like this with varying or missing bow and crease variations?

It is this tradition that enamors me with The Squatter.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
CRH said:
This is a game of millimeters with The Squatter. It's a traditional hat and this is it's essence (5 1/4 in. tall).

How many movies have you seen with young boys and old men, and every age in between wearing a hat like this with varying or missing bow and crease variations?

It is this tradition that enamors me with The Squatter.

You have a valid point CRH, but every time I see a photo of an open crown Squatter, this is the image that pops into my head...

TrueGrit168.jpg

Kim Darby from True Grit. I know...I need help! :D

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Chuck Bobuck said:
You have a valid point CRH, but every time I see a photo of an open crown Squatter, this is the image that pops into my head...

TrueGrit168.jpg

Kim Darby from True Grit. I know...I need help! :D

sjff_03_img1390.jpg

Why the producers of this film would ever let you of all people, Mr. Cogburn, wear such a fresh look'n hat is beyond me.

Goose.

Practically Family
billyspew said:
Goose, if you want a green one I'd suggest the Bluegrass Green Camp Draft, it's a lovely deep shade of green. The thin ribbon might give you some variety too.
Well Billyspew...the EA site showed a 3 month wait for the Bluegrass :(
But I thought about what your post and the variety may be a plus. So, I am thinking my July lid will be a Camp Draft...probably Silver Belly. Funny (odd) how the only reason I have not picked one up yet is that thin ribbon. When I get one (not "if"), and that throws me off too much, maybe I'll replace it with a wider ribbon.

Chuck Bobuck said:

Finally, Goose...here's a comparison shot with the Fed. Sorry about the quality, I'm no 3F...
You deserve a nap and a cool beverage Chuck. I am so very appreciative of the pics you took. And, while no one can top Triple F's pics (amazing, huh?), your pics are perfect and sealed the deal.
jimmy the lid said:
Chuck --
That being said -- I think the hat looks great. ...
Taper isn't always a 4-letter word (or 5-letter word for that matter...). ;)

Cheers,
JtL
What's a little five letter word like "taper" amongst buddies?
Squatter Willow Green ordered about 10 minutes ago.

Thanks to all!

Tone

A-List Customer
jimmy the lid said:
Chuck --

Cheers,
JtL

100% Agreed! Thanks for the pics, Chuck. I was expecting some sort of witch's hat the way people were describing the Squatter's "taper"; but those pics look pretty ideal actually. Seems like it's become a habit to lean too far in the "straight" department that something like the Squatter's block is somehow taboo. Looks just about exactly what I expected. Thank you for confirming that there really isn't anything to worry about.

The Squatter will do nicely! :D

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:
You deserve a nap and a cool beverage Chuck. I am so very appreciative of the pics you took. And, while no one can top Triple F's pics (amazing, huh?), your pics are perfect and sealed the deal.
What's a little five letter word like "taper" amongst buddies?
Squatter Willow Green ordered about 10 minutes ago.

Thanks to all!

Must...fight...urge...to...sleep. Post...pics of new...bash... lol

Congrats on the decision. I bashed this earlier. My standard bash hybrid diamond/wrinkle tail.

Sq_vs_Fed_dmd.jpg

IMG_3637.jpg

sqjr_sd_dmd_crp.jpg

sqjr_fr_dmd_crp-2.jpg

And with a swoop-di-doop on the brim...

sq_dmd_swp_crp.jpg

How's that for Squatter minutiae? I just have to lay my head down for a minuteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevenbmghbbbbbbbbbbb

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Chuck Bobuck said:
Here are some more photos comparing the Squatter to the Fed IV. First from the front...

Every family has weird cousins but I don't have a Fed so I wouldn't know :rolleyes:.

More great comparison and contrast photos!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
The Squatter Specs

Here is my tardy post concerning Hatsdirect's response to the Squatter specs inquiry:

"The Akubra Squatter that we have in stock is made from Imperial quality felt and comes lined."

There you have it.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
A request from Goose

Goose, could you post a photo of your Squatter, after it arrives with a simple center dent - no front or side dents. I think this would be a great look for a Squatter and we haven't seen one yet ;).

Goose.

Practically Family
CRH said:
Goose, could you post a photo of your Squatter, after it arrives with a simple center dent - no front or side dents. I think this would be a great look for a Squatter and we haven't seen one yet ;).
Sure, CRH. I will give it a go. Not certain it will be up to par for you guys...only center dent I've done is my Homburg (comes open crown). But I will post pics of my effort.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
akubra felt stiff?

Hi all, I am new to the forum and actively considering the akubra fed- its a nice looking hat. I like the stove pipe design. I am really confused though. i have read posts here and elsewhere from people saying that the akubra felt is stiff. And that the christy's adventurer is a better hat, both felt quality wise and looks in general. Yet, i have read a lot of bad press on here about them (Christys) as an akubra thread, figured this would be a great place to get some comparison info on the two.

sorry to distract from the pro-akubra rally at the moment :)

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
cybergentleman said:
Hi all, I am new to the forum and actively considering the akubra fed- its a nice looking hat. I like the stove pipe design. I am really confused though. i have read posts here and elsewhere from people saying that the akubra felt is stiff. And that the christy's adventurer is a better hat, both felt quality wise and looks in general. Yet, i have read a lot of bad press on here about them (Christys) as an akubra thread, figured this would be a great place to get some comparison info on the two.

sorry to distract from the pro-akubra rally at the moment :)
I wouldn't call the felt of the Akubras that I have stiff at all. Sure, the Fed IV standard needed a little loosening up when I first got it, but once I'd settled on a bash, it was quite easy to work with. And the Campdraft is even better, in my opinion--it bashed smoothly with no stiffness right out of the box. Since I've had my hands on my Silverbelly Campdraft, my Fed IV has gotten very little head time. Unfortunately, I've never tried an Adventurer, so can't help there.
Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe