Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Indy Bash

Sometimes I feel like I post in this thread too much :)

Just got another Federation IV strictly for an Indy bash (more detail on the process over in the "Indy Bash" thread) and thought I'd post a couple pics here. Got to say, after studying the Raiders bash there's no doubt in my mind you can get that look spot on with a Fed IV.

3618344442_fcf24402d2_b.jpg

3618343670_3e0a3163a5_b.jpg

3617583999_1586aecbcb.jpg

Goose.

Practically Family
FurFeltFedora said:
Sometimes I feel like I post in this thread too much :)

Just got another Federation IV strictly for an ...
No, you are doing quite fine so far as I am concerned...almost.

What "I" need now is more cowbell. A pic of the Tugboat Dark Brown next to the Indy Dark Brown. I'd really like to see the top, front, side. And on that noggin of yours'. If not here, in the "Indy" or "I love the FIV" thread...wherever.

Ha ha...I was just going to comment on the color going good with your hair/mug and it reminded me of the first comment my wife made when she saw me in my Moonstone; "I really like how the color goes well with your grey hair". :eek: And I could tell she was being quite sincere :(

Anyway Triple F, get snappin' with my thanks ;)

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Thanks Goose, all those shots should be over on the "Indy Bash" thread but I just noticed that all of my pictures are gone from my posts. Looks like there's some kind of problem with Flickr (where I have all my pictures) so hopefully the images will return soon.

I'll take a comparison of the regular brown against the Indy bash tonight and post here for you.The big difference is that the center dent allows more height and material at the front of the hat to accommodate those deep dents. Otherwise from straight on the look is very similar (with the Indy being taller).

Hopefully my images re-appear.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Regular Fed IV bash vs. Indy (Raiders) bash

Okay Goose I'm a couple of days late with this but you're just gonna have to forgive me :)

First the facts:

Both hats are Standard Federation IVs (although there is a slight difference in colour) size 60.

Regular Bash

Height at front is 5"
Height at sides is 5 1/4 "
Height at rear is 4"

Dent length is 4"
Dent height is 3"

Indy Bash

Height at front is 4"
Height at sides is 4 1/2"
Height at rear is 4"

Dent length is 3 1/2"
Dent height is 2"

And now the comparison pics (Indy on the left, Regular on the right):

Straight on, both hats on books of equal height. Notice the defined triangular shadows in the dents on the Indy.

3626039015_1104d08b3e_b.jpg

Overhead you can see the creases of the Indy are very tight and pretty much equal in all directions:

3626855300_84206542c9_b.jpg

From the back you can see I tried to keep the dent centered, but not necessarily perfect. A little roughness here looks good I think:

3626857148_0b08fec9eb_b.jpg

And from the side. Note the Regular looks like the dents are actually longer than the Indy, this is because of the center crease of the Indy bash leans backwards and it's a bit of an illusion.

3626044385_36d655f980_b.jpg

And as for cowbell Goose I'd suggest Youtube -while you're at it look up Walken playing Colonel Angus :D

Goose.

Practically Family
Dear Fine Feathered Fedora Friend Fur Felt Fedora (or "7F"), thanks!

That helps me a ton in seeing the diff. Now I know why I've never gotten the "Indy" comment even while wearing my Dark Drown Fed IV. Actually, I don't ever get snide comments on my lids...except that "Secret Squirrel" that I'm ok with and has stuck in a small circle buds.

The photos and the dimensions are VERY appreciated by me. Ya never know when I may don a whip and go huntin' for an idol. Gotta have the right look for that :)

FWIW: My Fed IV D Dark Brown is 4.00" front, 3.25" rear, 4.5" side. My other Fed tugboats are 4.25" front with all else being the same.

563684860_7iRKD-Ti-1.jpg

Yep! I gotta fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!!! Or an Akubra ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mie...2CAC6375&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=21

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Thanks Goose - 7F, I like that :D

A lot of people think any fedora is like Indy's but it's not, there really is a certain look to it. What I found interesting in these pics is that the Indy makes the Regular look almost too short, but it's not, the Indy is just that tall. It's the center dent that does it - you need material for the front to get the height and the folds right. I'll be honest I don't wear this one all the time, my regular Feds suit my work attire more, but out on photo shoots (my adventures) I'll be wearing the Indy.

Anything else ya need just let me know.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
The Squatter has landed at Hatsdirect

Oh, Boy! HatsDirect has 'The Squatter' in stock in Willow Green and Carbon Grey. They are serving it up in an open crown and I am just drooling :p.

Don't know the details yet on the felt or the liner or lack thereof but I've shot of an email and I'll post back with the answer.

The Squatter should have a less tapered and taller crown...... but then it wouldn't be a Squatter - a traditional hat worn on rural properties.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
CRH said:
Oh, Boy! HatsDirect has 'The Squatter' in stock in Willow Green and Carbon Grey. They are serving it up in an open crown and I am just drooling :p.

Don't know the details yet on the felt or the liner or lack thereof but I've shot of an email and I'll post back with the answer.

The Squatter should have a less tapered and taller crown...... but then it wouldn't be a Squatter - a traditional hat worn on rural properties.
That Willow Green looks fantastic, CRH...and here I am trying to hold out for a Moonstone Campdraft! We'll see if I break...the hot so. Cal. weather might give me the fortitude to wait on felts for a couple of months...or not.
Steve

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jazzncocktails said:
That Willow Green looks fantastic, CRH...a...

Yup! That Willow Green just rocks. I could see it as a cool to cold weather upland bird stalker :D.

...... it could probably be lost in a duck marsh if need be ;).

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
CRH said:

Interesting! I always wondered why they didn't carry it in the past. Let us know when you get more info. The Squatter's a great hat and you wear it well. :)

Goose.

Practically Family
jazzncocktails said:
That Willow Green looks fantastic, CRH...and here I am trying to hold out for a Moonstone Campdraft! We'll see if I break...the hot so. Cal. weather might give me the fortitude to wait on felts for a couple of months...or not.
Steve
Anyone have a pic of the Squatter on their noggin? The brim dimensions on the HD site tag it at 76x73mm. Seems broad. The Fed IV is 63 x 70mm.

Of course, comparison pics of the two would be appreciated...

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I second the request of a pic of a Squatter on someone's noggin'. Seems like a nice hat and could be my next purchase if there was size 62 available...

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:
Anyone have a pic of the Squatter on their noggin? The brim dimensions on the HD site tag it at 76x73mm. Seems broad. The Fed IV is 63 x 70mm.

Of course, comparison pics of the two would be appreciated...

Here you go Goose. Someone on the Lounge tried on the Squatter once and described it as Saturn. The brim seems broad whenever I put it on and look in the mirror. It never seems as bad to me in the photos. I've thought about trimming the brim, but don't have the heart to.

JR_Sqtr_3-5.jpg

IMG_3447-1.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Chuck Bobuck said:
Here you go Goose. Someone on the Lounge tried on the Squatter once and described it as Saturn. The brim seems broad whenever I put it on and look in the mirror. It never seems as bad to me in the photos. I've thought about trimming the crown, but don't have the heart to.

JR_Sqtr_3-5.jpg

I think it's a good look for you - I like it well enough that I might order one as well.

Tone

A-List Customer
Those Squatters look great, guys!
Chuck, the urge to trim the brim might be there, but really it looks well at home on you the way it is. Removing the binding will free up how the brim bends a bit, but the proportions look great as they are! That's a great hat and I enjoy whenever you bring it up.
JR_Sqtr_3-5.jpg

Dundee, it looks as if it was made for you! Casual and sharp at the same time! Great look! Great hat! Is that Fawn?
DCP_3425.jpg

You guys wear these very well. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap SHARP!

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
ScottF and Tone, I appreciate the kind words. The Squatter reminds me of some wider brimmed European fedoras I've seen on ebay or here possibly. The crown has some taper and is lower than the Fed or CD, but it's certainly a fine hat, IMO. This hat is also very soft and the brim somewhat floppier than my Std. Fed and CD's.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe