Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Goose. said:
Anyone have a pic of the Squatter on their noggin? The brim dimensions on the HD site tag it at 76x73mm. Seems broad. The Fed IV is 63 x 70mm.

It's a traditional Farmer's hat, Goose ;). The Squatter would fit into johnnycanuck's thread on Sun Protection Advice.

hpim0926.jpg

hpim0925.jpg

hpim0924.jpg

The side dents are quite long and push back past the center point of the bow. This, of course, enhances the original taper of the crown.

Good enough until the next thunderstorm or sleet or snow or...........

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
That's a good looking Squatter....Is this one from David Morgan? DM's lists the brim as 3"...Looks like the Squatter from HD is using the old Federation dimensions...

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Colby Jack said:
That's a good looking Squatter....Is this one from David Morgan? DM's lists the brim as 3"...Looks like the Squatter from HD is using the old Federation dimensions...

That 3" quote by DM has always perplexed me, CJ. Chuck Bobuck's Squatter is a DM and he has confirmed that the brim is indeed a 3 x 2 7/8 in. dimensional - or 76x73mm.

What's an 8th of an inch to most people? Well to us here on the Lounge it's significant.

Tone

A-List Customer
Thanks for the head's up on the Squatter's characteristics, guys. I think after so many straight hats it might be a nice change to have one that isn't so focused on that issue. ;) It still looks great on pretty much everyone I've seen wearing one. There's also that variety of different looks depending on how it's styled (as CRH's shows, too) which is great on the Akubra's Town and Country models.

And - they're also expanding on colors with the intro of the Carbon Gray. Nice!

That Fawn just works as an "anywhere" color. I'm not in the market for any new hats but you guys may have sold me to "add one of these anyway". :)

Any more Squatters, please continue.
Thanks!

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
CRH said:
That 3" quote by DM has always perplexed me, CJ. Chuck Bobuck's Squatter is a DM and he has confirmed that the brim is indeed a 3 x 2 7/8 in. dimensional - or 76x73mm.

What's an 8th of an inch to most people? Well to us here on the Lounge it's significant.

CRH, mine was an ebay find, so I'm not really sure where it came from. The DM Squatters have chinstrap holes near the top of the ribbon and mine doesn't. It does have a cream colored liner though. I wish the crown had a little more height for more tweaking potential. :)

Goose.

Practically Family
Yes, thank you Chuck, Dundee, and CRH for the great pics!
Am interested in getting one in Willow Green. Need a green lid. My C.E.O. in Fern was being admired by my father in law a few weeks back. He asked about how to order one...I said, "Happy early Father's Day" and gave it to him. While I liked it, in general, I just couldn't get used to the down-turned brim in the rear.

Thanks for the "Saturn" reference, searched that ( http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=282382#post282382 ). Bummer that the pic of Douglas in his can't be seen. But Rooster has a nice pic in there. Looking like a lot of taper.

Am a bit concerned about the taper and lower crown on my Munster noggin (yes Kiltie, even w/o having a scar like Herman ;) )
But maybe I'll give it a shot. May just be the ticket instead of getting one of those umbrella hats.

umbrella-hat.jpg

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
One other characteristic regarding the Squatter, it's not an oval crown. It's rounder than the Fed or CD, at least it has been and mine certainly was. In a size 59, it was snug compared to my Fed or CD's. I had to stretch mine over my knee on a few occasions. I stretched it into more of an oval shape on the advice of Ron at HD. This hepled with the fit, but may have added a little to the tapered effect. The taper is slight and doesn't bother me much at all. If the crown were taller, I'd push it down into a diamond or 'wrinkle tail', or whatever the correct term is. As is, I am only happy with the centerdent, which is fine, but these are some things to consider.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Chuck Bobuck said:
One other characteristic regarding the Squatter, it's not an oval crown. It's rounder than the Fed or CD, at least it has been and mine certainly was. In a size 59, it was snug compared to my Fed or CD's. I had to stretch mine over my knee on a few occasions. I stretched it into more of an oval shape on the advice of Ron at HD. This hepled with the fit, but may have added a little to the tapered effect. The taper is slight and doesn't bother me much at all. If the crown were taller, I'd push it down into a diamond or 'wrinkle tail', or whatever the correct term is. As is, I am only happy with the centerdent, which is fine, but these are some things to consider.
Thanks for the great pics, stats, and advice on the Squatter, everyone. I didn't realize that it had as much taper as is evident in the photos, and this might keep me from making the purchase. Then again, if the CD doesn't come out in Moonstone after all, I just may give the Squatter a try.
Steve

Goose.

Practically Family
Hey BillySpew...thanks for the thought on the Camp Draft in Bluegrass. I don't see it on the Hats Direct page in that color. But what I immediately noticed was the lack of taper (which I like).

Chuck, your note about the long oval helps...I needed to know that as that is what my noggin is.

This forum is priceless for learning things just as this.

Tone

A-List Customer
Yeah, Goose, the Campdraft almost sounds ideal for you! Plenty of crown to do a number of things with. Carter's got some great examples of variety there. Nice, straight-sides and room to C-crown down into a good-looking height, too.

Does anybody else have a Squatter they styled from its open crowned state who had not reshaped it from the telescopic crease it often ships with?

Any good pics of the Squatter open-crowned?

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:
Hey BillySpew...thanks for the thought on the Camp Draft in Bluegrass. I don't see it on the Hats Direct page in that color. But what I immediately noticed was the lack of taper (which I like).

Chuck, your note about the long oval helps...I needed to know that as that is what my noggin is.

This forum is priceless for learning things just as this.

Definately ask HD a lot of questions. The only Squatter I've ever seen is my own. Akubra could have changed specs for all I know. :)

Tone

A-List Customer
Ahh, found it. So, basically, seems like nobody's sure yet what's coming out of HD in terms of the Squatter until somebody gets one; only that it, too, will be delivered unstyled and that we should expect a decent amount of taper in the crown?

The Squatter from David Morgan seems more of what I'm looking for then in terms of working with an unstyled Squatter.

Found this one. Remembered FDM posted about this one a while ago. Sweet lid! And great work on this one!
fdmsdmsquatter.jpg

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Tone, that photo of FDM's is what interested me in the Squatter in the first place. I believe I've read that the Squatter from DM has a bigger crown. I also remember reading they could be custom ordered in a long oval.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Chuck Bobuck said:
Tone, that photo of FDM's is what interested me in the Squatter in the first place. I believe I've read that the Squatter from DM has a bigger crown. I also remember reading they could be custom ordered in a long oval.

Now it's gotten me interested as well. I only see color choices of mid fawn, moonstone and black, but I will drive over there in the next few days and check it out. Anything anyone would like me to ask about or look into?

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
ScottF said:
Now it's gotten me interested as well. I only see color choices of mid fawn, moonstone and black, but I will drive over there in the next few days and check it out. Anything anyone would like me to ask about or look into?

Can you take a tape measure with you? :D I'm curious what the crown and brim sizes are. Why are there different Squatters? I'm sure I'll be back to edit this later. :D :)

Goose.

Practically Family
Really like that Squatter sombrero on you amigos, but thinking that taper doesn't work for me. And I really like that Willow Green. Oh well.

The EA site indicates a three month wait for a Camp Draft in Bluegrass Green. So, maybe a Camp Draft in Silver Belly. Or just save my coin to buy food.

Thanks again for all the posts and pics :eusa_clap :)

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:
Really like that Squatter sombrero on you amigos, but thinking that taper doesn't work for me. And I really like that Willow Green. Oh well.

The EA site indicates a three month wait for a Camp Draft in Bluegrass Green. So, maybe a Camp Draft in Silver Belly. Or just save my coin to buy food.

Thanks again for all the posts and pics :eusa_clap :)

That's funny Goose! You know you can't wear food on your head. :D I'll try and get some more pics. I think the crown might be a little taller and have less taper than the 'Sydney'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe