Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
gtdean48 said:
Excellent, I couldn't tell much from the swatch on EA & what is mid-Grey? Didn't even see that swatch at all...

I think mid gray is between moonstone and charcoal. It's a darker gray. I think the Stylemaster might be available in mid gray, but I could be wrong about that.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
You've seen this one at Akubra's site too, right?

http://www.akubra.com.au/pdf/Akubra colour swatch card.pdf

We've been through this before. Nobody's ever seen all of Akubra's greys in a single photo with the same lighting. (Now there's a project for you high-volume-owning guys!) I think they go something like this, lightest to darkest:

Moonstone
Cruiser Grey
Glen Grey
Steel Grey (same as Carbon?)
Carbon Grey
Mid-Grey (same as Carbon or Steel?)
Charcoal (nearly black; only from David Morgan)

The top half are more blue-grey, the bottom ones are more black-grey.

Some dealers have the Stylemaster in Steel Grey, some in Mid-Grey... Yeah, it's confusing!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have a feeling that Akubra themselves - not to mention the various dealers - use Carbon Grey, Steel Grey, and Mid-Grey pretty interchangeably. They're essentially all a charcoal grey, darker and with less blue than Moonstone, Cruiser, or Glen Grey.

Again, when somebody here assembles a full range of Akubra grey hats, a group photo under good lighting would be really useful!

BobC

Doctor Strange said:
I have a feeling that Akubra themselves - not to mention the various dealers - use Carbon Grey, Steel Grey, and Mid-Grey pretty interchangeably. They're essentially all a charcoal grey, darker and with less blue than Moonstone, Cruiser, or Glen Grey.

Again, when somebody here assembles a full range of Akubra grey hats, a group photo under good lighting would be really useful!

A great idea, Dr. S. The best way to see the color of a hat is the same way you tell the quality of the felt...hold it in your hand and look it over.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Doctor Strange said:
I have both a cruiser grey hat and a moonstone hat, and the cruiser grey is much bluer than the moonstone, enough that they coordinate with different ranges, shades, and tones of color, especially once you get beyond black/grey/blue. My cruiser grey is very striking with sage green, the moonstone isn't. The moonstone works with browns and tans, the cruiser doesn't.

I don't have any daylight pics of the cruiser grey hat, but here are flash pictures of a cruiser grey CEO, then a moonstone Fed IV Deluxe under the same lighting conditions, followed by the Fed IV Deluxe in daylight. Notice the moonstone's tan undertones in daylight, which the cruiser grey doesn't have.

CEO_1-1.jpg
FedIVDlx15-1.jpg
JohninFedIVDlxLB-2DS.jpg

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
gtdean48 said:
From the sunshine shots of Dr S's glen-grey & JohnnyB's Moonstone, you can definitely see the more bluish hues of the glen-grey, & brownish of the Moonstone. Thanks guys!
And the bluishness of the glen grey is different from the bluishness of cruiser grey as well. I think glen grey is more purplish heather blue in the grey and the cruiser is a *little* more green/blue in the grey.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:
KimC ordered two new baskets the other day....the door swung wide open. ;) And I don't have very many summer hats. lol

I presume you'll be ordering a gray Campdraft since you already have the other colors?
Yes but will wait a few months, I may have to get one for Dee first. Plus I might have to start buying some suits for work.[huh] lol

I really like my mid brown campdraft too!

BobC

I just received an e-mail from Deb at Hatsdirect saying they should receive the gray Campdrafts in a week or so. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

carter

I'll Lock Up
I received an e-mail from Deb Leake at HD as well. She sid they'd be in their hands near the end of the month so we should be receiving hats the 1st week or so of March.

She also said they have a few standard Fed III's in black. IC, is your black Fed III Heritage or Standard felt?

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
carter said:
I received an e-mail from Deb Leake at HD as well. She sid they'd be in their hands near the end of the month so we should be receiving hats the 1st week or so of March.

She also said they have a few standard Fed III's in black. IC, is your black Fed III Heritage or Standard felt?

My mid-grey Stylemaster shipped from EA on Wednesday. Sounds like Akubra is knocking out their orders.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I also got an email from Deb telling me that they now have the Bogart in Carbon Grey in stock and have updated their website to show this.....

Somehow my fingers got stuck in the keys and a carbon Grey got ordered before I could remove them from the keyboard.....lol

Now if only they would make a Brown Bogart.......

FATS88

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
Yes but will wait a few months, I may have to get one for Dee first. Plus I might have to start buying some suits for work.[huh] lol

I really like my mid brown campdraft too!

Hi IC,
My tawny is here, er...at least they are
at my shipp'g address ready to be
picked up.:)

Suits for work!
I hope I'm the first lounger to say:
CONGRATS!!:eusa_clap

Cheers!
Fats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members