Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

cookie

I'll Lock Up
indycop said:
This is the look I am going after, my Penneys Marathon that looks whippetish. It has a 2.5 inch brim, I wear this hat ALOT and though it may not be wide enough it feels right. But if it looks too small then I will go with the 2 5/8.

GEDC0024.jpg

I take your point...that is a nice lid...

indycop said:
While in Monteagle I decided to email Hats Direct from my BlackBerry on the way home from tennesee. They replied before I got home and said they have one left in size 61 and will hold it for me!!!

Now this is a story 'bout a man named Jed.....

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Killing Two Akubra Birds with One Stone

Here's a thought:

I've seen a fair number of posts for a light or med. grey Campdraft, and other posts longing for a high straight crown fedora with a 2-5/8" to 2-3/4" NON-dimensional bound brim (unlike the Fed IV).

What if a vendor (The Hattery, David Morgan, somebody) did a special order for the Campdraft in moonstone or a lighter grey and offered it with a choice of 1-5/8" dress ribbon or 3/8" thin ribbon?

The wide (black or charcoal) hatband ribbon would turn a Campdraft into a pre-war fedora, sort of like a bash-your-own '40s Whippet, while the matching thin ribbon version would provide that country gentleman/rancher look. In both cases the brim binding would be light grey to match the hat.

2-3/4" is a viable fedora brim width; there are many Borsalinos and Miller Guerra-sourced Italian fedoras that are 2-3/4" and up, as were many pre-WWII fedoras. It's almost necessary with such a large-crowned hat.

The upside is that Akubra could make a single hat to satisfy two different market segments by simply putting a different ribbon on it. Some of us would probably buy both.

In my perfect world it would be available in Heritage felt.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Got my hats from EA today. A Mid Brown Campdraft and a Sorrel Tan Boss of the Plains. Both are nicely long ovaled and fit perfectly. Apparently Sorrel Tan from EA is the exact same color as Taupe Fawn from HatsDirect.

Pics Saturday.:p

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
Got my hats from EA today. A Mid Brown Campdraft and a Sorrel Tan Boss of the Plains. Both are nicely long ovaled and fit perfectly. Apparently Sorrel Tan from EA is the exact same color as Taupe Fawn from HatsDirect.

Can't wait to see the pics!

indycop said:

Sweet IC, maybe pictures of your mid-brown campdraft will hold me until mine gets here in APRIL!!!! but I doubt it....

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
A Glen Grey Campdraft!

Hallelujah! Hats Direct has broadened their fedora offerings and colors they keep in stock.

And look what they now stock in a Campdraft:

campdraft-glengrey-large.jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
It says available end of February!

I don't understand how Akubra can offer a new color after a few requests but you can't get a Nostalgia with a 9 ligne ribbon.If it's not a custom then it's an Akubra for me.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
new Hats Direct offerings - wow

It's a great day for folks like me, most of whose wardrobe is black/blue/grey vs. earth tones!

The Campdraft in Glen Grey - a great addition to the lineup. (I have a Stockman that color, a lovely medium blue-grey.)

An actual photo of a Bogart in carbon grey (the mythical beast that Hats By The Hundred didn't ship me after a three-month wait!) I still think it needs a black ribbon for the proper old-time look, though.

The Stylemaster in Moonstone... with a darker ribbon! Talk about an idea whose time has come. (Too bad I've already got a mid-grey one coming from EA.)

carter

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
I said I would order one & I did!!!:D
:arated: We started asking in December 2008 (post 255 this thread) and here it is! Just as Ron at Hats Direct said it would be (post 285 this thread). :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld