Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Stylemaster

Wearing my stylemaster today...
32fec1bf.jpg

Now that I am getting a better feel for this, I think the stylemaster has a little more taper than I prefer. I really like my old stetson with little to no taper better - I'm hoping my new campdraft works. From the pictures I've seen it looks like I should be able to give it a bash with no taper that I will like.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Rodkins said:
32fec1bf.jpg

Now that I am getting a better feel for this, I think the stylemaster has a little more taper than I prefer. I really like my old stetson with little to no taper better - I'm hoping my new campdraft works. From the pictures I've seen it looks like I should be able to give it a bash with no taper that I will like.

That looks REALLY sharp! :eusa_clap You look great in all your hats. Did you do any bash modifications to it, or just pop the factory crease back in when you corrected the shipping damage?

Randy

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
theinterchange said:
That looks REALLY sharp! :eusa_clap You look great in all your hats. Did you do any bash modifications to it, or just pop the factory crease back in when you corrected the shipping damage?

Randy
Thanks. I just put the factory crease back in it. I will probably leave it alone for awhile and maybe mess with the crease later if I get bored with it. I got the e-mail this morning that the bluegrass green campdraft I ordered yesterday shipped. That ought to keep me busy for a little while.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Rodkins said:
Thanks. I just put the factory crease back in it. I will probably leave it alone for awhile and maybe mess with the crease later if I get bored with it. I got the e-mail this morning that the bluegrass green campdraft I ordered yesterday shipped. That ought to keep me busy for a little while.

It looks really good is why I asked. I think it works well as is, but know what you mean about tweaking it.

I'm really really fighting the purchase of a bluegrass, but really, I don't know why. [huh]

Randy

Bebop

Practically Family
I like that Stylemaster, Rodkins. I happen to like a little taper and a crown that is not too high. I've been debating purchasing one for about a year now and taking into consideration what your other hats look like on you compared to the Stylemaster, I think I'm convinced that I "need" a Stylemaster. That hat looks very balanced for your face shape.

Panda Moanium

New in Town
Bebop said:
I like that Stylemaster, Rodkins. I happen to like a little taper and a crown that is not too high. I've been debating purchasing one for about a year now and taking into consideration what your other hats look like on you compared to the Stylemaster, I think I'm convinced that I "need" a Stylemaster. That hat looks very balanced for your face shape.

I'd second that, that Stylemaster looks very well. Mind you Rodkins also models a Cattleman with some panache some pages back on this thread. Which has gone some way towards helping me finalise my next number of purchases. At the moment veering toward a pair of Stylemasters in Mid-Brown and Moonstone Grey, a Cattleman in fawn for hiking and outdoor stuff, and finally a Banjo Paterson in Graphite Grey to go with the Heritage Fawn version I have already.

This Akubra stuff sure is addictive!

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Thanks guys. I guess I'll keep it. ;) I'm excited to see how the stylemaster and campdraft compare. I know they are very different hats, but when I first saw the campdraft I thought it was way too much hat for me and now I think I'm going to like it. Randy- even with the tough AU exchange rate the campdraft was still only $106 to the door in less than 10 days since they have the bluegrass green in stock in your size.:D

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rodkins said:
Thanks guys. I guess I'll keep it. ;) I'm excited to see how the stylemaster and campdraft compare. I know they are very different hats, but when I first saw the campdraft I thought it was way too much hat for me and now I think I'm going to like it. Randy- even with the tough AU exchange rate the campdraft was still only $106 to the door in less than 10 days since they have the bluegrass green in stock in your size.:D
I think you'll like the way those hats make you look like the sheriff. I don't have a Campdraft, but I have a vintage Open Road, which the former emulates. Wearing the Open Road, I take on an air of authority I wouldn't otherwise have. I like it.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
danofarlington said:
I think you'll like the way those hats make you look like the sheriff. I don't have a Campdraft, but I have a vintage Open Road, which the former emulates. Wearing the Open Road, I take on an air of authority I wouldn't otherwise have. I like it.
That's probably the same reason I was a bit afraid of them in the beginning. I think I have gained confidence since then and now am very excited to try it out.

danofarlington

Rodkins said:
That's probably the same reason I was a bit afraid of them in the beginning. I think I have gained confidence since then and now am very excited to try it out.
Ditto. I may not have gone for it, had I not just run across it at a flea market, tried it on, and loved it. But you get this "Marlboro Man" kind of feel to the look that I started to like. I may not have wanted one in the era when they were common.

Neophyte

As promised, here are the sunlit pics of the Lightning Ridge. The color is suprisingly different in outdoor lighting, a sort of very, very, very light tan. It does look like sand, just not the "high-end resort" kinda sand lol. I'm glad, as I didn't like the idea of a white hat, at least not for the usage I intend for this hat :D.

Alright, here's the inside. The sweatband, as I said before, is significantly wider than the Imperial sweats. It feels great. The ripples are from placing foam under the sweatband, so don't worry lol:

SandLightningRidgeHat3.jpg

The front profile shot:

SandLightningRidgeHat6.jpg

Here's the hatband and opal stone. The band itself is sturdy leather and has a cool texture to it. The opal stone...just "wow"!

SandLightningRidgeHat5.jpg

The brim width is great, nice and wide, provides lots of shade. Interestingly, the brighter color seems to provide better shade than my darker hats, I suppose because brighter colors reflect more light.

SandLightningRidgeHat8.jpg

I am one happy Akubra fan! :)

SandLightningRidgeHat7.jpg

Neophyte

EggHead said:
Looks good on you.

So this is 'Sand' color, I would guess that Heritage Fawn is a little darker brown?

Thanks so much!

Yeah, I was wondering about that. The darker pics of Sand look like the lighter pics of Heritage Fawn lol!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Rodkins said:
32fec1bf.jpg

Rodkins, great Stylemaster! Might I inquire which color it is? Is it the acorn, or mid-brown one?

KyleK

One of the Regulars
Nice hat in that Lightning Ridge. The shade pics of it do look like sun pics of the heritage fawn color.

Here's an indoor pic of me in my heritage fawn Banjo Paterson. Not the greatest color representation - the image feels a little desaturated overall. The pic does a good job representing the variations in tone from where the light hits it, though.
BP_HF.jpg

Neophyte

KyleK said:
Nice hat in that Lightning Ridge. The shade pics of it do look like sun pics of the heritage fawn color.

Here's an indoor pic of me in my heritage fawn Banjo Paterson. Not the greatest color representation - the image feels a little desaturated overall. The pic does a good job representing the variations in tone from where the light hits it, though.
BP_HF.jpg

Thanks!

I'm curious at how long you've owned that Banjo, it's got a beautiful "worn" look to it that I hope to achieve with the LR. I really, really like that look, too. You really seem to have made that hat your own.

I see you tightened the front pinch, too! :eusa_clap

KyleK

One of the Regulars
Neophyte said:
Thanks!

I'm curious at how long you've owned that Banjo, it's got a beautiful "worn" look to it that I hope to achieve with the LR. I really, really like that look, too. You really seem to have made that hat your own.

I see you tightened the front pinch, too! :eusa_clap

Thanks!
I've had it since the spring but it didn't get too much use in the summer months. A bunch of sweat, rain storms and the pinch - otherwise the wear is just it slowly conforming to my head. It's a size 62 and still a little big at the temples even with felt inserts. I've come to the conclusion that I'm probably a 61 long oval.
It my first Akubra and I like it a lot.

EggHead

Practically Family
My new Sydney

I don't like the bash though, makes the hat look too square on me; And I will replace the ribbon to a lighter gray & wider, perhaps 1.5" - this hat is too dark (charcoal color) - true color capture as I see it en vivo.
Otherwise, very comfortable, fits me well and the felt is smooth.

2m4c5g7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe