Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

T Rick

Practically Family
Looks good T Rick. I'm starting to worry about mine though, I haven't received it yet.

Hmm, yours shipped three days before mine I think (mine shipped on the 8th). But with it so near Christmas, the Postal system is jammed with packages. And we're in quite different parts of the Country (though I'd think they come through CA). I bet yours will show up tomorrow or the next day, if not by Monday I'd suggest sending an email to them and asking about a trace.

Let's hope it shows up tomorrow! :nod:

I bet after twenty years of pretty hard wear, a campdraft will get some panache. I am amazed though, at how different those Alessandrias look from Open Roads, even when the proportions are so alike.

I'm sure the CD will gain some felt character over the years but the Borso's seem to have a head start from the beginning. There was some majic in that old world rabbit felt that Akubra hasn't replicated. JMHO

I'm sure the CD will gain some felt character over the years but the Borso's seem to have a head start from the beginning. There was some majic in that old world rabbit felt that Akubra hasn't replicated. JMHO

Could it also be a functional difference with the hats? Akubra is meant to be an outdoor, all weather hat, whereas the Borsos tend to be more of a dressy hat, although still weather resistant, but not for constant outdoor use, ie, ranching, farming, etc.

Could it also be a functional difference with the hats? Akubra is meant to be an outdoor, all weather hat, whereas the Borsos tend to be more of a dressy hat, although still weather resistant, but not for constant outdoor use, ie, ranching, farming, etc.

Oh definitely. The felt & finish of the Borso was definitely for a more gentile existance than the Akubra. The art of the craft back in the day would still have produced a factory finish for a "work" hat higher than the Akubra just like the dress hats from Borso after the factory move seemed to fall off. They just don't make 'em like they used to....

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I've got to hand it to you, T Rick, those were some of the greenest bluegrass green Campdraft pictures I've seen on this forum. Apparently, many owners say it's a hard color to capture authentically, but is that supposed to be the closest representation to the color as it appears in person? That's a nice hat too.

email68

One of the Regulars
My wife just ordered me a Camp Draft Bluegrass Green for Christmas. This will be my first 'real' hat. Now the dreaded wait for shipping...

I was inspired by the great looking hats on this thread. Thanks!

Tim

T Rick

Practically Family
I've got to hand it to you, T Rick, those were some of the greenest bluegrass green Campdraft pictures I've seen on this forum. Apparently, many owners say it's a hard color to capture authentically, but is that supposed to be the closest representation to the color as it appears in person? That's a nice hat too.
Thanks, and it IS a hard color to capture. Seems a bit darker than my pics to me, the flash sort of washed it out a bit. I'll try and get some natural sunlight pics in the coming days, that usually works best with my watches anyway. I did take some without the flash, but they're really too dark. Maybe if I can find an old copy of PhotoShop around here (my computer that had it died), I can lighten those a bit, probably a more accurate representation.

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
My wife just ordered me a Camp Draft Bluegrass Green for Christmas. This will be my first 'real' hat. Now the dreaded wait for shipping...

I was inspired by the great looking hats on this thread. Thanks!

Tim

Very nice -- you should be able to start enjoying it in early March. I expect my silverbelly CD to arrive shortly after the New Year ... along with the acorn fawn Stylemaster I ordered last week.

email68

One of the Regulars
Very nice -- you should be able to start enjoying it in early March. I expect my silverbelly CD to arrive shortly after the New Year ... along with the acorn fawn Stylemaster I ordered last week.

Ah, don't tell me that! ;-)

We ordered it from Everything Australian and it showed in stock on their website.

-Tim

Link

One of the Regulars
My BGCD finally showed up today. I've put a diamond bash in it, and I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow when I have better light.

T Rick

Practically Family
Ah, don't tell me that! ;-)

We ordered it from Everything Australian and it showed in stock on their website.

-Tim
No worries then! Mine came from there. I got a shipping confirmation email about 2 days after I ordered. I think the hat took slightly over the 10 days listed, but under 2 weeks. It is a really cool hat, I'll bet you'll love it! Mine is still my favorite (I'm really new to all this hat stuff, but have 6 with one more on the way at the moment, and all are within the last 3 weeks. The Camp Draft is my "go to" hat at the moment, it is a joy to wear and was fun to style (bash) also.

My BGCD finally showed up today. I've put a diamond bash in it, and I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow when I have better light.

Congrats, looking forward to the pics!

Last edited:

email68

One of the Regulars
No worries then! Mine came from there. I got a shipping confirmation email about 2 days after I ordered. I think the hat took slightly over the 10 days listed, but under 2 weeks. It is a really cool hat, I'll bet you'll love it! Mine is still my favorite (I'm really new to all this hat stuff, but have 6 with one more on the way at the moment, and all are within the last 3 weeks. The Camp Draft is my "go to" hat at the moment, it is a joy to wear and was fun to style (bash) also.

Congrats, looking forward to the pics!

Cool. I got the notice that mine shipped on the 23rd. I'm guessing the holidays will add to the delay.

Now I need to learn how to bash it, it will be my first.

Looks like most people are doing tear drop or diamond bashes for the Camp Drafts. So I'm leaning to that as well.

-Tim

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Cool. I got the notice that mine shipped on the 23rd. I'm guessing the holidays will add to the delay.

Now I need to learn how to bash it, it will be my first.

Looks like most people are doing tear drop or diamond bashes for the Camp Drafts. So I'm leaning to that as well.

-Tim

Lots of great pics on the Thin Ribbon and Diamond Authority threads. Check them out for ideas. The CD is a great hat.

email68

One of the Regulars
Thanks. Lots of great pics on completed bashes. Not too much on how they got there. Are you guys just spraying them with water and molding them like clay?

You realize, all I can do now is obsess about this since I'm in like day 3 of at least a 10 day wait. :)

Tim

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Your creasing process should probably be as follows:

1) Dry-bash (mold with your hands to the basic shape you want).

2) Wet the felt and fine-tune the areas that need more definition (or if the felt just isn't doing what you want it to do).

3) Let it dry.

4) Wear it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe