Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
First sorry to Randy for making him put his Moderation Fedora on. Won't happen again. Now for the fun part the unboxing of the new Bluegrass Green Camp Draft.
First the box unopened fresh from Downunder and the Postman
CDunopened.jpg

Then the box opened
CDboxopened.jpg

After that all the contents of the box: Hat, Everything Australian Key Chain, note from Sam, and a small pamphlet from Akubra.
CDunboxed.jpg

and lastly the first dry creasing of the hat.
CDfirstdrybash.jpg

CDdrybachfront.jpg

I love the hat the color is great and like everyone else says just does not come across well in pictures. It was a little tight but I have a stretcher and it did the trick. tonight I wet it down and do the fine points and let it all set.

Jeff

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Looks like you are one of the lucky ones....

First sorry to Randy for making him put his Moderation Fedora on. Won't happen again. Now for the fun part the unboxing of the new Bluegrass Green Camp Draft.
First the box unopened fresh from Downunder and the Postman
CDunopened.jpg

Then the box opened
CDboxopened.jpg

After that all the contents of the box: Hat, Everything Australian Key Chain, note from Sam, and a small pamphlet from Akubra.
CDunboxed.jpg

and lastly the first dry creasing of the hat.
CDfirstdrybash.jpg

CDdrybachfront.jpg

I love the hat the color is great and like everyone else says just does not come across well in pictures. It was a little tight but I have a stretcher and it did the trick. tonight I wet it down and do the fine points and let it all set.

Jeff

.... and got your hat in a decent time and in good shape from Australia. After reading all the tales of woe in the "Australian Connection" as to ordering hats from there, I've held back. Glad to see you are one of the lucky ones. hat looks great and I like your crease alot ( glad you did not "bash" it, wouldn't look good at all :) ) . The other thing about the CD is that it looks like a smaller version of the Bushman so why get one ? JMHO :) Onward thru the fog :)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I don't own a Campdraft or anything (But I do own it's modern Stetson relative I suppose), but I'm wondering just how many more bluegrass Campdrafts there are? Isn't this a limited edition hat? Where exactly do you folks buy this, again? I think Hats Direct and Everything Australian are out of it, last I checked, at least in most sizes for the latter.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You'd have to ask Sam at EverythingAustralian for the details, but this is how I understand it from my conversation with him months ago:

Akubra discontinued the color from its planned production run, but I suppose they decided not to trash the expensive dye. It's obviously not a color that is in high demand among the majority of Akubra's clientele. So, if enough people promise to purchase a hat of a certain color of hat that has been discontinued, such as Bluegrass Green, they will do a limited run (as I understand it, the minimum amount of people required for each run is about 50 to offset costs and such). When that stock runs out, I suppose the process can be repeated again. It's all about supply and demand.

As for where to buy it, the only place that still has limited runs of the BG color is Everything Australian. Apparently there's quite a demand (I suspect we Loungers have something to do with it ;)), as from what I've heard Sam at EA is doing another run.

Last edited:

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
.... The other thing about the CD is that it looks like a smaller version of the Bushman so why get one ? JMHO :) Onward thru the fog :)
The Camp Draft is $22.00 cheaper then the Bushman and comes in more colors. I don't know why David Morgan is so some much more expensive then buy straight from OZ. I have bought from DM in the past and will again or indirectly from him through Delmonico's Hatters.

Jeff

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I don't own a Campdraft or anything (But I do own it's modern Stetson relative I suppose), but I'm wondering just how many more bluegrass Campdrafts there are? Isn't this a limited edition hat? Where exactly do you folks buy this, again? I think Hats Direct and Everything Australian are out of it, last I checked, at least in most sizes for the latter.
JB I sent Sam at EverythingAustralian an email and asked if and when he would have more BG's in size 60 in and said order one and it should be in by late January. So I guess it is ask and you shall receive and knock and the door shall be opened.

Jeff

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
With the exchange rate climbing prices may get a bit more equal :) I agree with you about his model choices and color availability being somewhat limited, but some of that may be "market share" agreements btwn Australian retailers, Akubra, and DM. Also the Akubra's you get from Delmonico's come thru DM. He is the SOLE importer for Akubra here in the States. I got my Mid-Brown Stylemaster from John Helmer Haberdashers in Portland from a reference given me by DM even though he does not retail that color !! But he imports it and wholesales it to others !! From the correspondence I had with him, the CD is an AUSTRALIA ONLY model and he cannot get it to import. So, to get one , one has to go thru all the "Australian Connection" stuff :) Onward thru the fog :)

Gromulus

Practically Family
I ordered a size 60 BGCD (along with a Fawn Capricorn) from EA last week. I was fully prepared to endure the touted three month wait but yesterday I received an email from Sam saying both hats were shipped.

Aside from the Bushman (only available from David Morgan), all of the other Akubras on my wish list are only available from Oz.

Last edited:

Neophyte

I ordered a size 60 BGCD (along with a Fawn Capricorn) from EA last week. I was fully prepared to endure the touted three month wait but yesterday I received an email from Sam saying both hats were shipped.

Don't no why you'd be surprised, as you ordered both hats in the only colors EA has in stock for each lol. Congratulations on the new purchases, and be sure to keep us updated if you have the time :)! By the way, what are the other Akubra's on your wishlist?

Gromulus

Practically Family
Don't no why you'd be surprised, as you ordered both hats in the only colors EA has in stock for each lol. Congratulations on the new purchases, and be sure to keep us updated if you have the time :)! By the way, what are the other Akubra's on your wishlist?

Well until either yesterday or today, the EA website listed the BGCD out of stock in several sizes, including 59 and 60. ( I have been following their website/stock status several times per week for the past couple of months). They must have just gotten in a shipment and/or updated their website. Either way, I got lucky for once!

Over the past few months I have picked-up several Akubras including three StyleMasters (Acorn, Moonstone - my wife's favorite, and Steel Gray). two Camp Drafts (Taupe Fawn and Silverbelly), and two Banjo Patersons (Heritage Fawn and Charcoal).

On my "short" list: Grey Capricorn (depending how I like the fawn model), Cream Rink, Bushman, and I think I will "try" a Dark Brown Fed IV.

Last edited:

Neophyte

That's a great collection of hats! I too am interested in the Rink and the Bushman.
I like the Tawny Fawn FedIV a LOT more than the Dark Brown, but you've already got several fawn hats. Hope all goes well with your future purchases!

...That reminds me, I still need to get a Silverbelly CD.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe