Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This may have been asked and answered, if so, sorry ...

But, has anyone determined if Johnny Depp is actually wearing a Campdraft in the many pictures of him in a wide-brimmed, brown fedora with a narrow ribbon and a bound edge?

Or, is it a vintage hat that just looks life a CD?

Just wondering.

Sam:)

Being that the Campdraft is an Open Road clone, I'd venture to say that it's much, much more likely that the hat is an OR, if even that.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
This may have been asked and answered, if so, sorry ...

But, has anyone determined if Johnny Depp is actually wearing a Campdraft in the many pictures of him in a wide-brimmed, brown fedora with a narrow ribbon and a bound edge?

Or, is it a vintage hat that just looks life a CD?

Just wondering.

Sam:)

If I were a betting man I'd say it's a vintage hat rather than a new Akubra.

johnny_depp_hat-brown4.jpg

johnny_depp_hat-brown1.jpg

johnny_depp_hat-brown5.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
That felt of a vintage Borso like Jump Street Johnny is wearing allows for some "pinache to the bash" that a Campdraft just can't...

I bet after twenty years of pretty hard wear, a campdraft will get some panache. I am amazed though, at how different those Alessandrias look from Open Roads, even when the proportions are so alike.

And that brown one is a confirmed Borso. There is an interview in which he said that floating around somewhere. His silverbelly hat is still up to debate though.

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
Some good news to jump-start this thread: received word that my silverbelly CD shipped yesterday from AustralianGear.com ... ought to have it just after New Year's ...

T Rick

Practically Family
WooHoo! Let the bashing begin :D. Mailman (Mail woman actually) just dropped a package from Oz on my doorstep. Bluegrass Green Camp Draft in size 57 is here. Fits fine, a wee bit loose, but not bad and I'm sure it will be fine after just a bit of moisture. Speaking of, where'd I put that spray bottle...?

I was really curious about the color, as in all the pics I'd seen here, it barely looked green at all, more a steel blue or gray on my monitor. I know green can be a difficult color to capture, and I now have evidence. It is most assuredly green! (Love that :cool:). Don't think it'll clash at all with the olive London Fog trench coat I just picked up either. I'm a happy "Camper". ;)

Pics to follow, of course.

T Rick

Practically Family
Sure all you small head people get all the luck. I have to Waite until the end of next month to get mine.

Jeff
Aw, don't think of us as "small headed". Just think of us of having the proclivity to fit into the more abundant hat sizes (or better yet, think of us as that many fewer competitors for the vintage hats that are available in your size :D).

Hope yours gets to you early. And if it's any further consolation, I now want this in other colors. 3 month wait at EA, or pay way more elsewhere. If they have it. Hmm....

T Rick

Practically Family
Okay, the Camp Draft is here, unpacked, wetted, bashed and dried. I've learned a few things. First, it's two words ;) (at least on my hat).

standard.jpg

Open crown, they're a rather imposing looking hat!

standard.jpg

I sprayed it down with distilled water, and went to work. Ten minutes later, this was the result...

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

After it dried, I realized I'd gotten it off center (rotated), so I'll have to do it again. Will do tomorrow, for now I just thought I'd enjoy the hat. BTW, it was just a tad big, but I put it on with my hair wet from the shower, and it conformed in no time. Nice, soft pliable felt and a great looking hat.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
Nice job, T Rick. Almost thought that was the silverbelly -- the BG looked so much darker in other photos posted here. Can't wait for my silverbelly to arrive; should be here shortly after New Year's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe