Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

volvomeister13

One of the Regulars
Help!

I need you guys' expert opinion. I just got this suit from ebay. Having never owned a 20's suit before I jumped at the chance and it arrived today. However, something seems so weird about it. Maybe it just doesn't fit me well? The way it tapers seems really bizarre. The chest seems rather tight as well. Also, there are no front darts it seems.

Maybe it just doesn't fit me? It seems there is some fabric to let out in the jacket.

Maybe it's a mediocre suit? (This isn't one of the dreaded jazz suit variety, is it?) I'm thinking of returning it. It'll cost money to fix the moth holes and if it's not going to look good I figure why bother.

What do you guys think?

image.jpg image2.jpg Untitled.jpg

DamianM

Vendor
It is not a jazz suit. Not even close. Its a 20s suit, its very different in cut and construction. Either you love it or you don't.

Was this the $227 ebay suit that just ended a week or two ago?

what size is it?

volvomeister13

One of the Regulars
It is not a jazz suit. Not even close. Its a 20s suit, its very different in cut and construction. Either you love it or you don't.

Was this the $227 ebay suit that just ended a week or two ago?

what size is it?

Yeah, that's the one. It's 20 inches across under the armpits and 16 inches across the shoulders (bear in mind they're of the 1920's narrow variety).

I'm guessing this is very early 20's?

DamianM

Vendor
Yes this one is early 1920s. Notch Lapel with a bellow effect and tapered trousers.

I have one dated 1923 in my size and with a very similar cut.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The Herringbonekid had a similar situation a few months ago: he purchased a 1920s jacket (after many months of searching for just the right jacket) but found that the cut didn't suit him.
I suspect that many early 1920s suits are so different to what we are used to that they just don't make the wearer feel comfortable with them.

Papperskatt

Practically Family
Help!

I need you guys' expert opinion. I just got this suit from ebay. Having never owned a 20's suit before I jumped at the chance and it arrived today. However, something seems so weird about it. Maybe it just doesn't fit me well? The way it tapers seems really bizarre. The chest seems rather tight as well. Also, there are no front darts it seems.

Maybe it just doesn't fit me? It seems there is some fabric to let out in the jacket.

Maybe it's a mediocre suit? (This isn't one of the dreaded jazz suit variety, is it?) I'm thinking of returning it. It'll cost money to fix the moth holes and if it's not going to look good I figure why bother.

What do you guys think?
It's a two button jacket, right? I'm fairly certain that both buttons are meant to be buttoned and not just the top one as on a modern 2b-jacket.

If you're not used to wearing jackets from the late 10's and early 20's then it's understandable that it will take a little getting used to as the cut is very different from today. However, I think that it looks just fine on you! Wear it around the house for a day or two, or 'til you feel comfortable in it. Then, once you've decided to keep it, shorten the sleeves and maybe let it out a bit in the chest.

cpdv

One of the Regulars
Well I went up to the very limit of my budget at the time. Just wish I had more then as I've been hunting for an early 20s suit like a madman for a bit.

volvomeister13

One of the Regulars
the main problem with mine is the lack of waist (which i wasn't expecting at all) coupled with the flare of the skirt. gives it all a /\ look.

review of mine here:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?69703-1920s-suits&p=1636195&viewfull=1#post1636195

volv, i thought you were looking for a turn of the century sack suit anyway ?

Yeah, I'm also on the market for a sack suit (or quality reproduction), but despite my forays of interest in that era I can't abandon the 20's and 30's. They're all so good in their own ways.

It's a two button jacket, right? I'm fairly certain that both buttons are meant to be buttoned and not just the top one as on a modern 2b-jacket.

If you're not used to wearing jackets from the late 10's and early 20's then it's understandable that it will take a little getting used to as the cut is very different from today. However, I think that it looks just fine on you! Wear it around the house for a day or two, or 'til you feel comfortable in it. Then, once you've decided to keep it, shorten the sleeves and maybe let it out a bit in the chest.

You!!! Guess who made you pay that price! Haha if u don't want it I'll take it.

Papperskatt: That's what I did and I really warmed up to it. Thanks! Just needs a littler altering and moth hole restoration and it'll be good to go.
CPDV: Well played indeed. Sorry, but I'm going to hold onto it. Good luck to you though.

It's really interesting how despite the many times I've seen the late teens and early twenties suits in films from the era, it was never totally apparent just how different they are until I tried this one on. It definitely did take some getting used to. It really shows how the popular perception of "the twenties" is more similar to the late twenties, specifically, or even the thirties. Even "Boardwalk Empire," which I love and which I think captures a great 1920's feel, doesn't always quite get that something about the early twenties that was so different.

DamianM

Vendor
The late twenties are still very different and evolving into the perceived perfection of the 1930s.

Some late 20s garments still held the ^shape.

cpdv

One of the Regulars
Make sure you button that bottom button and get yourself a large flat cap Cordova cap style and it will look great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe