Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

Metatron

One Too Many
Nils Asther, 1929:

AstherNils_1929_zps112acfab.jpg

Great! I think the late 1920s-early 1930s created the most balanced looks.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
... and we all know how damn rare genuine light-weight, colonial outfitting is. Quite an exciting find. I'll be looking forward to seeing more photos etc.

Cargill's of Colombo, Ceylon (Sri Lanka). Made 11-10-23 for H. V. Stroud. White wool twill lined in white silesia. Buttons are MOP.

No shoulder padding. Serious sleevehead wadding. Shoulder seams show extreme backward slope. Sleeves are cut on an older pattern with equal widths at the lower arms.

cargillscottonjacket1.jpg

cargillscottonjacket2.jpg

Facings extend into the upper chest and arm scye region of the shoulder, a feature that becomes more frequent as manufacture date goes backwards.

cargillscottonjacket3.jpg

Skeleton Lined.

cargillscottonjacket4.jpg

A piece of facing has been removed and replaced with silesia. The piece of the facing has been used to replace the back of the collar which probably became filthy or damaged.

cargillscottonjacket5.jpg

cargillscottonjacket6.jpg

A loop of silk thread to secure the flower stem.

cargillscottonjacket7.jpg

cargillscottonjacket8.jpg

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The philosophy expressed in the advert above is something that the vast majority of people still don't get today; that, generally, cheap stuff is far more expensive than pricey stuff in the final analysis .

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I don't think this is true anymore in most cases. There are not many quality makers left. Often the expensive stuff is the same quality as cheap stuff, only with an expensive label attached. I can't imagine Calvin Klein underwear lasting longer than some no name underwear. As soon as it's a fashion item this rule flies out the window IMO.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes but that's kind of a third factor. Branding. But Harris Tweed trousers made by Old Town will always be more expensive than H&M polycotton trousers made in Bangladesh or something.
Some clothes are expensive because of a reason not just because of branding. People getting used to discounter prices refuse to understand the difference.
I am not a saint and sometimes buy the cheap stuff too. But I learned not to complain when small high quality brands cost more.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Where it really pays off to bite the bullet and spend is in footwear. Goodyear welted shoes from makers that have refurbishing programs will be pricey to start out but pay off big down the line.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Where it really pays off to bite the bullet and spend is in footwear. Goodyear welted shoes from makers that have refurbishing programs will be pricey to start out but pay off big down the line.

As i tell my wife every time she throws another pair of cheap shoes into the bin, whilst I'm still wearing shoes I've had since the 1990s.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family

Employees of the Kirby Lumber Company at the Browndell Saw Mill in Nacogdoches, TX in the 1920s

The Austin, Texas Police Department's Motorcycle Division in 1922

A group of Texas Rangers pose for a photo on the steps of the State Capitol with governor Miriam "Ma" Ferguson on January 20, 1925.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family

Wrestling fans waiting to travel to Houston at the Great Northern Railroad Depot in Taylor, TX in 1921.

August 29th, 1926 in Marfa, TX.

Sunday Drivin' in the early 20's, in Henrietta, TX, or its general vicinity.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Yep - those millworkers are amazing. I like all the varieties of watch chain placement in that photo: where one wore his watch was as much a personal expression as the kind of watch he carried.

great photos Patrick, thanks. i particularly like the first one; it's amazing just how popular boots were for the average man in the 20s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe