Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite Scotch? Your Favorite liquor in general?

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Line Aquavit is my favorite of that type over ice in a tumbler.I am also fond of Lillet with a tangerine wedge.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
My absolut favourit scotch is irish: Jameson 12 year old.
But I also fancy Lagavulin and Laphroaig.
Others: Did never get the name, but in Cuba I had some 15 years old rum.
It was soooo smoooooth. Went very well with the cigar and the sunset.

- Nice subject by the way.

Mojito

One Too Many
As my nick might suggest, I'm another fan of Mojitos - have been fond of them for years, as rum is my favourite spirit. I have South American friends who bring cacha?ßa with them from Uruguay every time they visit - the sort of strength and fire that you can imagine in prohibition-era rotgut. Love to mix it up into a Caprahini, just as they do it in South America. Its close cousin, pisco, was familiar to me from studying the correspondence of Edwardian mercantile marine officers long before my Chilean flatemate in London introduced me to it - it makes a similiar drink when mixed with lime and palm sugar. I transcribed a letter from one young officer (who went on to go down with the Titanic), describing the taste of pisco as "kerasine mixed with cough syrup." He regaled his audience with tales of how intoxicated the crew became on it.

I don't like overly sweet cocktails - left behind cream as an ingredient in any of them by the time I was about 21, which knocks out a lot of the '70s favourites. Too sickly. And I don't like the huge lashings of orange and pineapple juice that abound. Keep it simple with lemon and lime juice or mixers like soda water, and don't overwhelm the spirit. If sweetness is needed to counteract excessive tartness, palm sugar or - last resort - sugar syrup...but usually, with an ingredient like Cointreau or Triple Sec, it becomes unnecessary. Tom Collins and its variations, White Ladies, original Daiquiries, etc.

I like dark OP rum on the rocks or in cocktails - Frigate is excellent in this regard. I'm still mulling through whether I really enjoy the Inner Circle at its various proofs - it's quite a distinct flavour. Fell in love with Bacardi Spiced Rum a few years back, and like the Captain Morgan's spiced as well.

I regarded the introduction of flavour infused vodkas with suspicion, afraid they were going to be a slightly dryer version of the lollywater available pre-mixed in bars, but am now converted to much of the Absolut range, particularly in cocktails. Vanilla is tremendous, and the citrus fruit based ones excellent for Caiprioskas. The new ruby grapefruit is a favourite. I've recently been working my way through the 42 Below range...these seem to be a lot stronger in flavour, and are sometimes a bit too overwhelming. Feijoa, for example, is a distinct taste, and you have to carefully choose what will accompany it unless you're going to have it straight up. I find the Manuka Honey works well - it certainly gives a lovely aroma to a drink.

I found gin drinkers around here seem to gravitate towards either Bombay Sapphire or Tanquey...I can't drink gin neat, but do like Sapphire for mixed drinks.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Mojito said:
I found gin drinkers around here seem to gravitate towards either Bombay Sapphire or Tanquey...I can't drink gin neat, but do like Sapphire for mixed drinks.

I would never turn my nose up at Bombay, especially Sapphire, but I like the taste of Tanquery as my favorite for martinis.

As for Caipirinhas, I made some for myself to taste this drink. The Cachaça I had available from the state liquor stores was 51, but looking now, I see they have Boca Loca, Samba, Pitu, Ypioca Prata silver, and Ypioca Toucano. I'm all at sea about these brands and their relative differences or quality. I thought the drink was OK, and would be willing to try different versions, but I like Mojitos better for that style (so far).

Mint Julips are an excellent drink as well!

jamespowers said:
Now see, I would say that if you like Laphroaig I'll remember to serve you shrimp to go with that briny taste. I just can't get used to what the salt air does to their malt process. :eusa_doh: ;)

Heh, which is why I said to each his own. Mind you, unlike the charcoal, I'd take you up on the offer of shirmp, although smoked salmon on oatcakes might be more traditional. My wife might be inclined to agree with you - she thinks it's like a dead body, wrapped in seaweed and tossed in a bog. I just like the smoky, peaty goodness!

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
On the rocks

I am a big fan of Jack Daniel's especially Gentleman Jack, on the rocks. It is smoother than regular black label. My wife is from Australia and she still thinks that it is "silly" that I drink it with ice.

Mojito

One Too Many
Thanks for not pointing out the various typos in my post, Chanfan - I think I managed to misspell everything except "rum" and "vodka"! (And honestly, I haven't been dipping into any of them today, so no excuse on my part).

Treetopflyer, your post brought me back to the days when Australians and the English thought that Americans used excessive ice in everything. Now Australians seem to have taken up ice more, although I still have many English friends who will take even their soft drinks without any ice. I dated a Scotsman who had lived in the US for many years - he took his whisky and water without ice.

Most of the Australians I know like their scotch and other spirits on the rocks. I like virtually every beverage with a healthy lot of ice, in a chilled glass. I keep the vodka in the freezer. And don't let it sit around so it becomes too diluted with melting ice!

Beer is another matter - living in the UK, I grew to like their beer temps (depending on the beer). Not bathtub warm, of course, but not like the verging-on-zero C that is popular around here.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Chanfan said:
I would never turn my nose up at Bombay, especially Sapphire, but I like the taste of Tanquery as my favorite for martinis.

I prefer Tanqueray in G&Ts, far drier than Bombay.

I'm a whisky and water man as well Mojito, can't stand ice with it, kills the taste too much.

Posted by Mojito:
I don't like overly sweet cocktails - left behind cream as an ingredient in any of them by the time I was about 21, which knocks out a lot of the '70s favourites. Too sickly. And I don't like the huge lashings of orange and pineapple juice that abound.

If any cocktail/tall drink is too sweet, then the proportions are wrong. This is my beef about the Sidecar that all bartenders think they know how to make. (yeah, yeah, again with the Sidecar, but I'm as obsessive about it as Matt is about armholes.) Just remember the magic formla: 4:1:.5

Regards,

Senator Jack

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just yesterday I was bemoaning the fact that I said "Avez-vous Bourbon?" one too many times at a party years ago so even though I miss Old Granddad I rarely drink it anymore.
Favorites:
Military Special Vodka
Bombay Sapphire Gin
Gordon's Gin
Plymouth Gin
Jagermeister
Everclear
Myer's Rum
Tuborg Beer

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Anyone live near Mount Vernon, VA? If so, I'd like to request a bottle of the Mount Vernon Rye when it finally goes on sale. I don't know if it will be sold outside of the museum, but it certainly won't be carried in the Utah state liquor stores.:(

Brad

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
If any cocktail/tall drink is too sweet, then the proportions are wrong. This is my beef about the Sidecar that all bartenders think they know how to make. (yeah, yeah, again with the Sidecar, but I'm as obsessive about it as Matt is about armholes.) Just remember the magic formla: 4:1:.5

if you're ever up in the Boston area, you will find the perfect sidecar at the B-Side Lounge in Cambridge.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Mojito said:
Thanks for not pointing out the various typos in my post, Chanfan - I think I managed to misspell everything except "rum" and "vodka"! (And honestly, I haven't been dipping into any of them today, so no excuse on my part).

Oh, not that I would have considered pointing them out, but it would have required me to notice 'em first. I'm a horrid speller (look what I did to Tanqueray, not that I'd fault anyone trying to spell that one). It's one reason I love Firefox - built in spell-checker.

Senator Jack said:

I know it's a classic, but I can't recall having tried one, much less one of proper proportions.

Mojito said:
And don't let it sit around so it becomes too diluted with melting ice!
From The Savoy Cocktail Book, the famous Harry Craddock agrees with you. "A FEW HINTS FOR THE YOUNG MIXER - …6. Drink your cocktail as soon as possible. Harry Craddock was once asked the best way to drink a Cocktail: "Quickly", replied the great man, "While it's laughing at you!""

Mojito said:
I don't like overly sweet cocktails - left behind cream as an ingredient in any of them by the time I was about 21, which knocks out a lot of the '70s favourites. Too sickly.
Here the man also agrees with you. In the book, about one it 10 or 20 recipies has a comment after it. Some examples of his support for your position:

ALEXANDER'S SISTER COCKTAIL
1/3 Gin. 1/3 Cream. 1/3 Creme de Menthe. Shake well and strain into cocktail glass
Ladies are advised to avoid this Cocktail as often as possible.

BUNNY HUG COCKTAIL
1/3 Gin. 1/3 Whisky. 1/3 Absinthe.
Shake well and strain into Cocktail glass.
This Cocktail should immediately be poured down the sink before it's too late.

Although perhaps it's just the name that's too sweet on that last one.

And by the way, this book is one of my very favorite cocktail books. I have a 1983 Facsimile of the 1930's edition. The cover and illustrations are gorgeous, and the comments amusing throughout.

savoy.jpg
savoyillu.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
I'm going to have to review my copy of the Savoy Cocktail Book, Chanfan! I remember some of the amusing asides (and some rather funny cartoons in my edition - don't know to when they date), but not those particular pearls of wisdom. I like the idea of a facsimile edition of the 1930s title...I'd always half meant to search out one to put beside my well-thumbed 60s printing.

If any cocktail/tall drink is too sweet, then the proportions are wrong. This is my beef about the Sidecar that all bartenders think they know how to make.
I agree, Senator Jack, but sometimes I fear I'm in the minority when in some Sydney bars. I've been served Singapore Slings - made with sweet and sour - that contained so much pineapple and orange juice they nearly made me ill. I had one friend who loved her 'Toblerones' and 'Smarties', and thought a Blue Lagoon (which in any proporitions will rot your teeth) the height of cocktail delight.

Conversely, I've sometimes had people snort and claim that the drinks I've mixed them are 'too sharp' or 'too dry' - and this is after I've tried to get them to specify what they want in a cocktail, and all they'll instruct is 'anything...no, really, anything at all...oh, I don't mind, you make it however you like...'

As a consequence, I try to get people to be as specific as possible in what they want in a drink, explaining that they might get something either too authorative, too dry, too wet, too whatever if they leave me guessing their tastes.

Does everyone else encounter the same prejudice against mixed drinks that contain eggs, even if it's just a dash of egg white? People that drink egg nog will tell me they won't touch anything else that uses this as an element. Is fear of salmonella that rampant? I've seen people turn green when I mixed a Rum Flip, and they ask for White Ladies without egg white.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Hmm, I know it's an issue, but if you are careful, the risk is pretty low. You can still get infected eggs even if the shells are clear, as it turns out Salmonella can be in the ovaries of the hen, and get into the egg before the shell forms.

However - an (admittedly pro egg) site claims:
The inside of an egg was once considered almost sterile. But, over recent years, the bacterium Salmonella enteritidis (Se) has been found inside a small number of eggs. Scientists estimate that, on average across the U.S., only 1 of every 20,000 eggs might contain the bacteria. So, the likelihood that an egg might contain Se is extremely small – 0.005% (five one-thousandths of one percent). At this rate, if you’re an average consumer, you might encounter a contaminated egg once every 84 years.

While I'm not against eggs in my cocktails, I don't recall being overly fond of the recipes I've tried that use them. This may be due to when I was working my way through one cocktail book, trying drinks - and did one called "Swirling to the Beat of the Haggis Wings". Bleh. I got what I deserved!

WH1

Practically Family
While I'm not against eggs in my cocktails, I don't recall being overly fond of the recipes I've tried that use them. This may be due to when I was working my way through one cocktail book, trying drinks - and did one called "Swirling to the Beat of the Haggis Wings". Bleh. I got what I deserved![/QUOTE]

So what exactly are the proportions of oatmeal, sheeps stomach and whisky in this drink?:eek: Bleh indeed!

The egg drinks. Meh. Created for prohibition liquor. I was trying them out as eyeopeners but none of them did anything for me.

I'll mix up a few of the cream drinks in the winter but I use light cream instead of heavy (calories!). Due to the high cost of cream, I see bars have taken to milk. That, of course, is right out, but try to argue.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Treetopflyer said:
I am a big fan of Jack Daniel's especially Gentleman Jack, on the rocks. It is smoother than regular black label. My wife is from Australia and she still thinks that it is "silly" that I drink it with ice.

Shove over Treetop, I'm with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe