Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If I was starving to death on a deserted island I wouldn't eat an oyster. Oysters aren't a thing here. We eat *clams*, either steamed alive in the shell and dipped in butter or dunked in batter and deep fried. Clams were what we ate when we were desperate and couldn't find anybody who wanted to get rid of a few lobsters. My grandfather would grab a hoe and a pail and would go down to the shore, and half an hour later we'd have clams for supper.

And yes, that was the same shore covered with oily deposits, fish guts, and orange waste from the chemical plant. I didn't say they were *good* clams.

As far as liquor goes, I was once in a play where the action called for me to pour a drink and down it in one gulp. Some jackass in the crew swapped the prop gin bottle full of water for a real gin bottle full of gin. I spat the drink out in a ferocious jet that spattered across the stage floor and immediately began to liquefy the varnish on the boards. I'd sooner quaff a glass of Prestone.

There are few foods I just won't touch. If I were in a place where the locals ate bugs, I'd eat bugs. Or rat. Or even cat. (I'd have to be next to death of starvation before I'd eat dog, though.)

During one of Calvin Trillin's appearances on the Tonight Show, back when it was hosted by Johnny Carson, he told of a recent trip to some far-off land where he was served a dish he couldn't identify. On being informed it was double-boiled deer penis, he asked the waiter if perhaps it might be taken back and boiled one more time.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Lobster isn't the sort of thing that's usually available in the Midwest, and when it is, the price of prime rib or a decent steak is usually less. Nevertheless, when I get up to Boston I usually try to partake in it or some other variety of seafood, usually on my own while my wife is attending a conference.

I love that city but I have to give credit where due: the crab cakes in Baltimore are the best seafood I've ever had. My wife dislikes seafood, so eating in Boston with her usually means either Italian food in the North End, or a really wonderful and unique Afghan restaurant in Cambridge named Helmand.

My conspiration-theory:

Here in Germany, the most woman don't like fish, too.
BUT since a long time, I think, it's mostly a "pretense", for not having to roast the fish in the pan at home. The smell and so on... ;)

What do you think?

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
6pwyfk.jpg

Yep, that's how we did it. :)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I've never eaten used chewing gum scraped off a Ports of Call parking lot so I'll take your word for it. :D

The chewing gum under the movie theater seats are best.
Probably because of the enclosed and dark area, they remain moist longer.
And if you find the cinnamon flavor Dentyne gum you’re in luck.
The flavor is still there, even after two years.
And your hit pay-dirt if you find one that was chewed after they ate
popcorn.
Double-licious! :p

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
The chewing gum under the movie theater seats are best.
Probably because of the enclosed and dark area, they remain moist longer.
And if you find the cinnamon flavor Dentyne gum you’re in luck.
The flavor is still there, even after two years.
And your hit pay-dirt if you find one that was chewed after they ate
popcorn.
Double-licious! :p

Agreed but it appears only Ports of Call parking lot gum, comes close to an oyster eating experience. :p

GHT

I'll Lock Up
-
Man, I'll eat just about anything that comes from the sea.
Are you mad? Just like lobster has been described as food for the very poor, so too did the poorest of the poor, in London have a sea food, namely: Winkles, Cockles & Whelks. Winkles were sold by the pint or half pint, the vendor used a beer glass and either filled it or half filled it depending on your order. The winkle is a snail, a tiny little thing, so doused in vinegar that you couldn't taste it. The cockle is a clam, a bi-valve mollusc, it had an agreeable taste. But the whelk, it was gross to look at, gross in texture and the only time I put one in my mouth, confirmed that it was gross to taste. Like a huge piece of cartilage rolling around in your mouth: Others have spoken of the first person to think: "Do you know, I'm going to eat that," what on earth possessed that first person? I give you: The Whelk. And you're welcome to it.
whelk.jpg

...As far as liquor goes, I was once in a play where the action called for me to pour a drink and down it in one gulp. Some jackass in the crew swapped the prop gin bottle full of water for a real gin bottle full of gin. I spat the drink out in a ferocious jet that spattered across the stage floor and immediately began to liquefy the varnish on the boards. I'd sooner quaff a glass of Prestone.

I like gin and would probably have the same reaction if I was expecting to down a glass of water in one gulp and somebody substituted gin. Gin is not structured to be chugged. More broadly, I have never been a fan of practical jokes - not when played on me, but I don't even like seeing them played on others.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
-
Are you mad? Just like lobster has been described as food for the very poor, so too did the poorest of the poor, in London have a sea food, namely: Winkles, Cockles & Whelks. Winkles were sold by the pint or half pint, the vendor used a beer glass and either filled it or half filled it depending on your order. The winkle is a snail, a tiny little thing, so doused in vinegar that you couldn't taste it. The cockle is a clam, a bi-valve mollusc, it had an agreeable taste. But the whelk, it was gross to look at, gross in texture and the only time I put one in my mouth, confirmed that it was gross to taste. Like a huge piece of cartilage rolling around in your mouth: Others have spoken of the first person to think: "Do you know, I'm going to eat that," what on earth possessed that first person? I give you: The Whelk. And you're welcome to it.
View attachment 55797

Yuck! When I was a kid my dad used to take me cockling at Brightlingsea and similar places.

When we got home he used to fill the bath with them and soak them - I think to get the gritty sand to pass through. My mother was not impressed.

Whelks were the worst of all - disgusting creatures!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82