Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Another good one:

When you are 32 and you like very much to wash an refresh your getting-out-of-bed-face with water and barsoap in the eary morning and you are nerved, if you forgot it or didn't come by.

;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A lot of foods fall into this category. I enjoy lobster as much as the next guy, but every once in awhile, I look at the thing alive and realize - despite years and years of The Boys in Marketing create a "cute" image for it - the darn think looks like an gigantic and gross bug.

It was originally a trash food -- the dregs of the ocean, eaten only by the poorest of the poor. To this day I have very little use for lobster because it was so often the meal of last resort for us: everybody here knows somebody who lobsters, and you can get the stuff right off the boat for much less than a pound of hamburger. I snicker to myself every time I see a tourist shell out $20 for two dollars worth of lobster meat and a cup of mayonnaise.

And yes, a lobster is nothing more than a big ocean-dwelling bug. It's an arthropod, closer in evolutionary terms to a spider, a centipede, or a cockroach than it is to any kind of a fish. Lobstermen themselves know this -- their working term for the product they catch is "bugs."

lobster meat and a cup of mayonnaise.

And I think, today, it's not much different in Germany, than in older days. If an average German, accustomed on unchanged old-german nutrition, would enjoy the lobster WITH mayonnaise, it will give him probably a nice week on Mr. Ceramic. :D

Last edited:
It was originally a trash food -- the dregs of the ocean, eaten only by the poorest of the poor. To this day I have very little use for lobster because it was so often the meal of last resort for us: everybody here knows somebody who lobsters, and you can get the stuff right off the boat for much less than a pound of hamburger. I snicker to myself every time I see a tourist shell out $20 for two dollars worth of lobster meat and a cup of mayonnaise.

And yes, a lobster is nothing more than a big ocean-dwelling bug. It's an arthropod, closer in evolutionary terms to a spider, a centipede, or a cockroach than it is to any kind of a fish. Lobstermen themselves know this -- their working term for the product they catch is "bugs."

I like lobster, but I like chicken more (which definitely shows I have no taste) - and believe chicken is under-rated because it is, relative to other meats and fish, inexpensive. If it was expensive, hard to get, had some fancy story behind it, I believe it would get much more respect from the foodies / from the general population. I'm glad it isn't those things, as it is a very regular dish at our house and or food budget doesn't have any extra room for chicken to go up in price.

As to the tourists though, the flip side is what do you do - you want to see Maine, you like lobster, you're there for a few days and have no way to learn the ins and outs / the local's special knowledge?

I've been in that situation where you kinda know you are getting ripped off, but heck, you're in Baltimore and want to try some crabs. I lived in Boston for years and know of two restaurants that tourist always go to for "local flavor" that no local would ever go to, but think to myself, how would they know if they aren't tied in / don't have a local friend, etc?

Today, with the internet, you can do pretty well - I found some truly out of the way, "only the locals go there" places when I went to a wedding in Richmond Virginia a few years back, but I spent serious time on the internet well before we got there. Before the internet or if you don't have ample time to do research, it's hard not to get taken a bit when just visiting a place.

and believe chicken is under-rated.

I think, chicken is really nice. But, what about bunny? If I would have to decide between chicken and bunny, I would probably choose bunny. The taste is not bad, to me.

In old West-Germany, there were researches, to get the bunny into the existing "industrial-animal-production", instead of the established chicken. But seemingly, the trials of research were cancelled. Probably market-economies decision.

I think, chicken is really nice. But, what about bunny? If I would have to decide between chicken and bunny, I would probably choose bunny. The taste is not bad, to me.

In old West-Germany, there were researches, to get the bunny into the existing "industrial-animal-production", instead of the established chicken. But seemingly, the trials of research were cancelled. Probably market-economies decision.

The few times I've had rabbit, it was okay, but too gamey and oily for it to be a regular meal for me. Chicken, IMHO, has a "clean" taste that is satisfying on its own, but really shines when seasoned / flavored as it easily takes on those flavors without fighting them.

Also, and this is just a question as I have no idea of the answer, but from an economics point of view - does a rabbit yield anywhere near the amount of meat a chicken does?

Last thought - and this might be a generational thing, but having been raised on Bugs Bunny cartoons, I've always felt bad when eating rabbit, to say nothing of my fear of having an empty basket at Easter.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
If you know where, why and what this kid was doing:

14djy91.jpg

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's not the way we drew a hopscotch grid. Obviously a poseur -- a real pro has much narrower blocks for the one-foot hops.

We also drew ours not with chalk but with discarded carbon rod stubs my uncle brought home from the theatre. Held up much better under traffic and rain. And we used lug bolts for markers instead of pebbles.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
550_hoscotch_diagram.jpg

Ours was more like this, but sometimes we'd go up to twenty squares by repeating the sequence. Hard core.

Actually it was my sisters that mostly played “hopscotch" on the sidewalks.

It was something like this. They used the white chalky rocks that
were abundant in our neighborhood at the time.
This is only an illustration.
6pwyfk.jpg

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Either way, it also depends on how much alcohol you consumed first. :eek:

I once took a shot of tequila straight before going to the dentist.
Worse thing that I could’ve done.

But to this day, the mere thought and I get nausea .

I guess that would be a good thing my tummy was telling me !
Wish it’d told me this before taking that shot.

From “Confessions of Some of the Dumb Things I’ve Done In My Life
That are only mentioned on the Fedora Lounge."

:D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82