Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Word to the Wise- Aero Pocket Modifications

zebedee

One Too Many
Just received a Teamster in seal jerky HH, and made the mistake of getting it with larger inside pockets- these make the jacket uncomfortable to wear and really have affected the line of it. The stitching also seems to be coming away on the inside lowest edge, which is a bit worrying. Ugh. My own fault, though- should have gone with no inner pockets.

Am gonna contact Aero- but, you kids, don't be like Zebedee- keep the pockets roughly normal size, eh?

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Why did you ask for extra large pockets? My experience is that the standard ones are pretty deep. Personally, I abandoned them after my LHB and have never looked back.

zebedee

One Too Many
Ah- I had standard ones on my 1950s HB, and they weren't of any particular use.* On a Highwayman many moons ago, I requested pockets that I could get a novel into and they were absolutely perfect. Happily I sallied forth, Graham Greene and Fitzgerald close to chest (alright, alright sometimes it was Henry Miller, but I was teaching the text).

I over-extended this time and specified dimensions- but I am going to get it fixed. Aero is always top-notch, so all I can do is wait for advice and try not to risk the disappearance of my tailor. It's a great jacket in general and this is definitely my error.

*That sounds bad, but novel-sized pockets are where I'm at.

Last edited:

AlexB

A-List Customer
I’m pretty sure Aero could do something about it. I had my Boardracer made with inside pockets and without outside chest pockets. After a while the frame printed through and became visible on the outside.

I reached out to Holly and she asked production to remove the pockets. As expected Aero did an outstanding job. They replaced the entire inner frame and even reused the existing stitch holes.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

zebedee

One Too Many
I’m pretty sure Aero could do something about it. I had my Boardracer made with inside pockets and without outside chest pockets. After a while the frame printed through and became visible on the outside.

I reached out to Holly and she asked production to remove the pockets. As expected Aero did an outstanding job. They replaced the entire inner frame and even reused the existing stitch holes.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Cheers- Aero are an excellent outfit- I am fairly sure that it'll just be a matter of shortening the pockets by a bit. It may be that it becomes less of an issue as the jacket gets worn in.

Edward

Bartender
Be interested to hear more about this. I'm planning a Shackleton next year, and I'm going to want a pocket in it big enough for my passport-wallet.

zebedee

One Too Many
Be interested to hear more about this. I'm planning a Shackleton next year, and I'm going to want a pocket in it big enough for my passport-wallet.
As always, Aero were great and the prob's being fixed. I think that inner pockets are a great idea that might be odd in execution: the larger gun pockets are excellent in my HWYM (I can get an iPad mini in on one side and a novel in the other and both are totally invisible- lined in cotton drill, I think- thin and smooth olive material), but I think fqhh might make for better pockets than mid-weight hides, which seem to 'pull' more. I didn't bother with inner pockets on a Stockman or LHB; the Stockman I could have made use of them in, but in an LHB they'd be redundant. I think the trick is to have them lined in as thin a material as possible, angled to prevent things falling out and without a fastening if possible.

Edward

Bartender
As always, Aero were great and the prob's being fixed. I think that inner pockets are a great idea that might be odd in execution: the larger gun pockets are excellent in my HWYM (I can get an iPad mini in on one side and a novel in the other and both are totally invisible- lined in cotton drill, I think- thin and smooth olive material), but I think fqhh might make for better pockets than mid-weight hides, which seem to 'pull' more. I didn't bother with inner pockets on a Stockman or LHB; the Stockman I could have made use of them in, but in an LHB they'd be redundant. I think the trick is to have them lined in as thin a material as possible, angled to prevent things falling out and without a fastening if possible.

Thanks. I quite like the idea of one each side with one fastened and one not,e but I suspect with a buttoned garment that right hand side only will be an option. My wallet and other bits shoul fit fine into the other pockets on a Shackleton, but the passport I want safely tucked away!

zebedee

One Too Many
Thanks. I quite like the idea of one each side with one fastened and one not,e but I suspect with a buttoned garment that right hand side only will be an option. My wallet and other bits shoul fit fine into the other pockets on a Shackleton, but the passport I want safely tucked away!

I carry passports all over the place. Outer chest pockets are always best for them on their own.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I tend to travel in an A2 during summer because the patch pockets mean my wallet, phone & passport are always to hand and I know where they are.

Edward

Bartender
I carry passports all over the place. Outer chest pockets are always best for them on their own.

I think the cstandard lower outer pocket on a Shackleton would probably be fine for that. Most of my longhaul flights, however, are to China, and I carry the passport in a leather cover that houses pen, arrival/ immigration cards and all the rest of it. Don't think the standard chest pockets are uite wide enough for a passport; I know they won't take my phone. Toyed with the notion of an A2 pocket on the outside, but I think that would overly compromise the look of the whole.

zebedee

One Too Many
Yup- HWYMN outer pockets were good for passport(s) - I found the problem with long haul flights was that I'd forget to check where my passport was supposed to be (when I used other pockets) until I was pretty much off the plane. Leaving it in the outer pocket on its own, I just never worried. Having said that, I don't use outer chest pockets for much else- occasionally the mobile if I don't just stick it in the inside pockets. I find the inside pockets really useful if I am transferring, have layover days, etc. and don't want to keep checking bags. Used to know a guy who kept everything on a lanyard round his neck- in the event of a Shanghai moto-grab, you'd hope that lanyard would snap...

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
These pictures might give you some idea of the carrying capacity of a Shackleton's outer pockets.Not suggesting it's ideal smokers wear but Senior Service ought to fit.

Attachments

• P4010049.JPG
    P4010049.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 493
  • P4010046.JPG
    P4010046.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 493
  • P4010042.JPG
    P4010042.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 498

Edward

Bartender
These pictures might give you some idea of the carrying capacity of a Shackleton's outer pockets.Not suggesting it's ideal smokers wear but Senior Service ought to fit.

Tha is useful - my wallet would easily fit in one chest pocket, and my p3 player in the other. I suspect my phone would have to be relegated to the lower pockets. Are the top ones deep enough for a pen, btw? Passport wallet *might* fit in the lower pockets, though I suspect I might want someting inside still, to tuck away from pickpockets.

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
Tha is useful - my wallet would easily fit in one chest pocket, and my p3 player in the other. I suspect my phone would have to be relegated to the lower pockets. Are the top ones deep enough for a pen, btw? Passport wallet *might* fit in the lower pockets, though I suspect I might want someting inside still, to tuck away from pickpockets.
Hi Edward
The depth of all the pockets is just over 6 inches.The width of the top pockets is circa 4 inches and 4.5 inches for the lower pockets.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe