Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1970s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
He;

Gorillahead.jpg

I;

ElMagnifcoII.jpg

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Maj.Nick Danger said:
You guys look like brothers. :)
Hmmm,...here's something interesting. If I meld your pictures together in Photoshop, the result looks just like your avatar! :D :p

See that, Danger just paid you a compliment, because I'm way better looking than powerboy.lol You owe him a big thank-you.:D

bahahahahahhahahahahahahha

Lincsong said:
The day after Labor Day 1984 at 8:15 a.m. I'm sitting at my desk in Mrs. Sweeney's Algebra class minding my own business. Not bothering anyone, and this guy in a Guess jacket and pants with Speery Topsiders is sitting in the desk in front of me blabbering incessant nonsense. :eek:fftopic: Hey, I have the graduation picture, anyone want to see it?????

Geez, I don't remember it to the last second and day like you do---and its Sperry. :eusa_doh: :p All I remember is the guy behind me who was dressed like a hobo in a T-shirt and blue jeans. ;) :p
I also remember some guy hanging out a window yelling at Sylvino though. [bad]
Geez, those black and white pictures look awful. Didn't you get color ones? :eusa_doh:

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
Nor shaved legs or armpits.

///////ARRRRRGHHHHHHHHHH! [he runs from the room, gasping, screaming, eyes tearing at the sight or thought of it, and CRASHES THROUGH WINDOW, landing in a mangled heap 13 storeys below]

I live in Berkeley, my good Covinan. Only about three years ago did the female undergraduates begin to shave again. Before that, normal female grooming was considered "submitting to the patriarchy," in the cliched and trite, VERY second wave feminist (what decade was second wave feminism? OH, OUR FAVORITE -- THE SEVENTIES!) formulation, still extant in this provincial burg, this backwater, this Bay Area, this Berkeley.

Luckily I have been befriending some of the (heterosexual) (female) radical feminist types who think my manners are charming and quaint and who think that fedoras and ties are a legitimate mode of subversion unto themselves (blah blah blah, whatever). I have successfully gotten one of them to begin to agree that there is something good about masculine style (not overvamped macho style, just classic 1940s style). After this goal has been thoroughly accomplished I shall try to explain that there is also something very good about classic tasteful feminine style (again, classic 1940s or so, not something tasteless or trashy).

She has become a good friend, and is very smart and is someone I respect, so I hope I can pull her away from the ill influences still lingering from that blighted decade.

Doran said:
///////ARRRRRGHHHHHHHHHH! [he runs from the room, gasping, screaming, eyes tearing at the sight or thought of it, and CRASHES THROUGH WINDOW, landing in a mangled heap 13 storeys below]

I live in Berkeley, my good Covinan. Only about three years ago did the female undergraduates begin to shave again. Before that, normal female grooming was considered "submitting to the patriarchy," in the cliched and trite, VERY second wave feminist (what decade was second wave feminism? OH, OUR FAVORITE -- THE SEVENTIES!) formulation, still extant in this provincial burg, this backwater, this Bay Area, this Berkeley.

Luckily I have been befriending some of the (heterosexual) (female) radical feminist types who think my manners are charming and quaint and who think that fedoras and ties are a legitimate mode of subversion unto themselves (blah blah blah, whatever). I have successfully gotten one of them to begin to agree that there is something good about masculine style (not overvamped macho style, just classic 1940s style). After this goal has been thoroughly accomplished I shall try to explain that there is also something very good about classic tasteful feminine style (again, classic 1940s or so, not something tasteless or trashy).

Good luck. You are going into an area where even Captain Kirk wouldn't.
And as for shaving, you mean they got rid of their beards and moustaches too?! :p ;)

Dr Doran

jamespowers said:
Good luck. You are going into an area where even Captain Kirk wouldn't.
And as for shaving, you mean they got rid of their beards and moustaches too?! :p ;)

No no no, just talking about armpits and legs. I have not seen the things you are mentioning.

Dr Doran

jamespowers said:
You aren't looking close enough then. That's not a man baby. ;) :p

I lived in the Tenderloin for 6 years. If anyone can tell women and men apart, it's me. The trannies walking around challenge one's skills daily in this regard.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Geez, I don't remember it to the last second and day like you do---and its Sperry. :eusa_doh: :p All I remember is the guy behind me who was dressed like a hobo in a T-shirt and blue jeans. ;) :p
I also remember some guy hanging out a window yelling at Sylvino though. [bad]
Geez, those black and white pictures look awful. Didn't you get color ones? :eusa_doh:

You're a moron. You know the darn yearbook pictures were all in black and white.:rage: Of course it was first period and the first day of school, which is always the day after Labor Day.:eusa_doh: YOU were the one hanging out the window yelling at your brother Silvino Rodriques.:D and then you pulled the chair from out under that numbskull Mike Santos and tried to blame Danny Pena.:eek:

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:

She has become a good friend, and is very smart and is someone I respect, so I hope I can pull her away from the ill influences still lingering from that blighted decade.

Well if she ever talked to me her only response would be; PIG!:D

Dr Doran

Lincsong said:
Well if she ever talked to me her only response would be; PIG!:D

Not if she "saw" that you actually were expressing an "ironic statement about 1940s male visual/sartorial conformity and the re-appropriation thereof for a more diverse appreciation of the radically socially constructed 'nature' of the American discourse on gender" (or however one needs to gussy this sort of thing up to appeal to various constituencies)
[sorry, i've been in academia too long ... but at least i can talk the talk]

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
Not if she "saw" that you actually were expressing an "ironic statement about 1940s male visual/sartorial conformity and the re-appropriation thereof for a more diverse appreciation of the radically socially constructed 'nature' of the American discourse on gender" (or however one needs to gussy this sort of thing up to appeal to various constituencies)
[sorry, i've been in academia too long ... but at least i can talk the talk]

Well, that too. But I'm positive she'd end it by the phrase; "oink".:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82