Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1970s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novella

Practically Family
J. M. Stovall said:
Back on topic.

My favorite TV show from the 70's was M*A*S*H. Never missed it, couldn't tape it. It was a show about the 50's without all the Hot Rods, greasers and do wop. It was definitely a high point for that decade. You can't hate this too can you?

MASH is an excellent show. I just started watching it a few weeks ago, and I think I'm still laughing about it. The more I think about the 1970s, the more I realize I like the decade.

jamespowers said:
Obviously you didn't read the previous posts about how the show was a bastardized version of the book and how it was not at all like the real experience. Veterans of the Korean War like my father hated the show. I dislike it because of the cast and the fantasy of it all. Alan Alda? Harry Morgan? Jamie Farr?! Yep, plenty of things to hate there.

I appreciate historical accuracy, but I think if you can produce a show with that much wit, you can be excused for not making sure the toothpaste is circa the Korean War. It's a fictional television show rather than a documentary on the war. James Powers, you spend an awful lot of time considering the 70s for as much as you hate it.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
James has said that he liked the introduction of Proposition 13, which occurred in the '70s. I reckon he also likes the fact that Richard Nixon was re-elected president in that decade.

Going further, I'll bet that he also liked the Bicentennial (the occasion itself, not the festivities). Although ... maybe he did like those dozens of "tall ships" sailing into New York Harbor from all over the world.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
J. M. Stovall said:
Back on topic.My favorite TV show from the 70's was M*A*S*H.

The Bell 47's were nice.:p

thumb_DSCN2756.JPG

Marc Chevalier said:
James has said that he liked the introduction of Proposition 13, which occurred in the '70s. I reckon he also likes the fact that Richard Nixon was re-elected president in that decade.

Going further, I'll bet that he also liked the Bicentennial (the occasion itself, not the festivities). Although ... maybe he did like those dozens of "tall ships" sailing into New York Harbor from all over the world.

Hated Nixon, didn't care about the bicentennial, the only ships I like are Golden Era cruise ships.
Right on Proposition 13 though. The only good thing to come of the era. Thank you Howard Jarvis. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

J. M. Stovall said:
What about the comics Bronze Age? With darker plot elements and more mature story-lines. I for one like my Batman dark and disturbed and not smiling and bouncing off giant drums.:eusa_doh:

Batman was dumbed down and his hard edge was taken off by the 1970s. You want to see the real Batman? Go to the originals in the 40s into the 50s. I think you refer to those as Silver and Gold Age comics. Bronze is for medals. :eusa_doh: :p
Oh and refer to the Shadow as well while you are there. ;)

Regards,

J

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I have all the Batman from the Golden Age collected, along with the Spirit. I really enjoy reading them but I'd be hard pressed to consider Golden Age Batman a "smart" read. The 50's and 60's is where most the superheroes got dumbed down, with the possible exception of Marvel in the 60's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marco21