Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic dinner tonight a Crunk Manor: 1/2 pound hamburger steak infused with garlic and chargrilled, grilled onions and mushrooms, fried squash and potatoes (diced), hot buttered cornbread. Man, I'm full.
I'm stuffed just reading this!

No VC, I don't make my own crust anymore.
I can, but why?
My inlaws had pizza Thursday night, Friday afternoon, Friday night, and my FIL had some for breakfast today.
Last time it was chili that I had made. Homemade is always better than frozen, which is why they are so happy to see me.
They get a week of good food (breakfast and dinner), plus their house gets cleaned, and this time the yard was mowed twice (because of my FIL's surgery). What do I get? A 12hr drive to have a workation, but a small town to piddle around in which is nice enough, especially at Christmas when the town square is decorated.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Tonight we have barbecue pork (leftovers from Big Bob Gibson's) sandwiches with Bunyan's hot mustard slaw (it's a local thang), baked potato salad with bleu cheese, shredded cheddar and bacon bits. Around about midnight we'll start some slow-cooker baked cheddar mac and cheese. Should be ready for lunchtime tomorrow.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Was gonna just finish off the mac & cheese casserole, but the in-laws called and invited us to come help ourselves to my father-in-law's massive pot of andouille and shrimp jambalaya. How could we say no?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Jim & Nick's BBQ.
It wasn't as good as we remembered, but it wasn't too out of the way, I didn't have to cook tonight, and someone else ended up paying for it.
How could I turn that down? :D
It would have been nice if the food was actually what we ordered, and the order was 100% correct.
Oh well, I got a BBQ meat (not the one I wanted), baked beans, and onion rings, to which I added a spicy BBQ sauce. Works for me.
At least my wife learned one lesson...listen to me when I tell you DON'T ORDER A STEAK AT A BBQ PLACE, NO MATTER HOW EXPENSIVE IT IS. The 12oz cooked down to 10oz and it wasn't flavored well or tender. Duh.
From now on we'll go to Flemings or Ruth's Chris if we want a good steak, or Costco and I can cook it myself and save $140 dollars. ;)

Last edited:
I didn't know Jim-n-Nick had spread that far.
I can remember when they were still just a mom & pop type joint. Now they are in every neighborhood around here. I guess they made enough $ to send their kids to marketing school.
I will give 'em credit that their BBQ is decent enough, but it doesn't have the same soul as when it was just a little joint down off hwy 31 south of town. I guess that's always the first thing to go when you get real big like that.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
They have, and yes I think sometimes mass production of a product causes the original to suffer.
The food was okay, maybe it's a quality control issue.
Most of the issue WAS quality control, where we spent 10 minutes asking for items that were supposed to have come with the meal, or that we had requested (extra slaw, chicken ON the chicken salad, and a baked potato with the steak that was supposed to be included).
While I intended on trying the beef brisket, I got pulled pork. In a town where we have 100 BBQ places, I know the difference. :D
One of the family members knew some of the staff by name, and spoke with the waiter several times about this issue.
Yeah, that didn't do any good....
The only reason my father chose this place was because it was close to his house, and his wife had an appointment an hour later literally down the street.
A few years ago we went to J&N and it was great.
Now I know why the place wasn't packed like it used to be.
At some point in the near future, I hope the company sees this and solves the problem.
This is a fierce market, especially with the tourists because they want to go to Corky's.
Tops, A&R, Neeley's (when they were here), Interstate, Central, and a few others that don't come to mind this early, are better choices than Corky's.
Unfortunately we lost one in my neighborhood, because they started cooking with gas. Uh the whole reason you "smoke" meat is to give it flavor, which Tops is REALLY good at. In fact, if you drive by one with the windows down or the "vent" on in the car, the smoke smell WILL get in your car, and you WILL be tempted to turn around. ;) As for the one in my neighborhood, it's gone downhill because they may as well boil the meat if they aren't going to smoke it. Tastes the same. :yuck:

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Marinated/grilled chicken breast on top of a huge green salad with avocado, tomatoes, bacon, cucumber, and hard boiled eggs. Dinner rolls on the side, watermelon or grapes for dessert.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Greek salad, first had it nearly forty years ago, whilst spending a few glorious weeks on the Island of Cyprus.
The only thing we do different is to make a bed of various lettuces to place the salad on.
Feta cheese, red onions, fresh lemon. a chilled glass of white wine........bring it on.

Greek Salad.jpg

Bring it on indeed. Birmingham (Alabama, not England) is home to a sizeable population of Greek immigrants and their descendants, a great many of whom are in the restaurant business. Greek salads are pretty much a staple in this town. No restaurant's menu is complete without one. It must be strange for out of town visitors to find Greek salads on the menu of a barbecue shack or burger joint.

Tonight, in spite of 90+ degree temps out, we are having homemade vegetable soup. Sometimes you just can't fight a craving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken