Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

DNO

One Too Many
Watching the first episode of a new series by Chris Haddock called The Romeo Section. He has written and produced some of the best television ever...Da Vinci's Inquest and Intelligence (the earlier one). He has also produced and written for Boardwalk Empire. This one looks excellent as well!

DNO

One Too Many
I'm serving with the NATO staff on board the Portugal Navy destroyer NPS Dom Francisco de Almeida during Exercise Joint Warrior. Naturally, the wardroom is watching How To Get Away With Murder.

Recorded on the Canadian network CTV.

By a Norwegian officer.

Terrific! Watching an American program recorded off a Canadian station by a Norwegian while on a Portuguese ship...love it.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The more I think about TWD episode, the stupider it gets. How about blowing them all up? Or setting them all on fire? Or burying them (they're already in a pit with failing walls)? Or reinforcing the semitruck barriers with a bunch of other junk? Or building a good ol' tiger trap for when they get past the semitrucks? I know. I caught how the quarry walls were deteriorating (and then of course, it happening right when they are there). Hey, you're half-way there to burying them, then. Go scrounge some explosives. It's not as if building walls out of trees and sheet metal, parking miles of cars, and anything else I might be forgetting was a quiet endeavor. A stupid episode. A stupid plot device. Stupid from A-Z.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Is the, part fact, part fiction, Garrow's Law, screened outside the UK? It's about an 18th century attorney who coined the term: 'Innocent until proven guilty." I missed it when it was first aired, but have been enjoying it second time around.
My other TV addiction at the moment is Murdock Mysteries, (The Artful Detective) Compulsive viewing.

Edward

Bartender
All this talk of the IT Crowd I may have to start it again. :biggrin: Think my favorite was when they all went to the theater. lol

It was a great show in general, so many highlights ("Goddamn these electric sex pants!", "I thought you said you were Iranian", "It's a chance to get an iphone without giving any money to Apple, Jen. It's the dream!"), but the theatre really was superb. The exterior shots (and, I think, quite a lot of the interior too) of the theatre scenes were filmed at the New Wimbledon Theatre in London. "We love willies" still cracks me up, no matter how many times I see it. The whole sequence about tipping the toilet attendant (was that in this episode or another one?) was genius too. "A pound! I paid a pound to not p***!" Beautifully written, from one of the two great minds behind Father Ted.

Indian Summers. I enjoy this, but I wish we were going somewhere more quickly. Not for the pace to change, but fewer elusive cuts and more meat to the story. It spends a lot of time adding little to the established story. Another program that has enough material for a few episodes but needs to drag it into a full season?

I only ever saw the first episode. The plot looked to be dreadfully hackneyed and unimaginative, but the clothes were lovely...

The Walking Dead season opener. I didn't see that situation coming. Kind of a strange episode. Glad it's back, but it felt more like a gift to the special effects and CGI teams than anything else. I'm sort of not buying into the idea that Rick would so suddenly be accepted as the community leader, especially after he shot one of their own, regardless of whether the guy deserved it or not. Anyone else not that interested in Rick's character? They never fully lose me, but it's been a while since I found him a great leading character. I'm honestly more interested in Glenn, and Glenn and Maggie, or Carol.

I've been following the comic book from the off. I said for years they should do it as a TV show, and I was ecstatic when they did. I'm only just starting season five now (watching on DVD; I don't do subscription TV and the free to air channel that normally screens it in the UK slipped it out without any real marketing this year, so I missed it). Superb series. I like how they've made Rick less the central focus that he is in the comic book - hopefully this means the show can carry on even if Andrew Lincoln decides to leave (or perhaps that's part of the design behind Fear the Walking Dead; turning it from a show to a franchise, a la Star Trek).

I'm about a series behind you, I suspect, but it makes perfect sense to me that a leader could be accepted in those circumstances. Some folks just don't want to be in charge or to have to make decisions, and they'll go a long way without questioning those who save them from having to do so.

Also watching the Netflix redux of From Dusk Til Dawn. Stylistically just not as cool as the original film, but nonetheless I'm finding it entertaining enough. In particular, it's interesting to see how they've filled out the story and broadened the universe in which it takes place with the time factor they have to play with in a series as opposed to a film (or, indeed, even a trilogy of films).

Last night I watched the first episode of "Home Fires," the new PBS series about, so far, a group of women in a small English village at the start of WWII and how they are adjusting individually and as a group to the coming war.

As with most quality shows today, the period details are outstanding (I find I'm missing dialogue and have to go back as I get distracted with all the cool stuff to look at), the acting is strong, but the story is only okay and pretty much by the numbers with a little too much 2015 world-view taken by some of the characters. But again, only one episode in and it may improve.

To AmateisGal - have you seen it yet? I think it would be up your alley.

And watched episode two of "Indian Summers." Same as episode I (and same as "Home Fires"): (so I'll cut and paste from above) the period details are outstanding (I find I'm missing dialogue and have to go back as I get distracted with all the cool stuff to look at), the acting is strong, but the story is only okay and pretty much by the numbers with a little too much 2015 world-view taken by some of the characters.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Is the, part fact, part fiction, Garrow's Law, screened outside the UK? It's about an 18th century attorney who coined the term: 'Innocent until proven guilty." I missed it when it was first aired, but have been enjoying it second time around.

Not to my knowledge but the CD series is available-will order, thanks for the tip.

Charles Phillips who defended Courvoisier would prove an interesting law film study.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
It was a great show in general, so many highlights ("Goddamn these electric sex pants!", "I thought you said you were Iranian", "It's a chance to get an iphone without giving any money to Apple, Jen. It's the dream!"), but the theatre really was superb. The exterior shots (and, I think, quite a lot of the interior too) of the theatre scenes were filmed at the New Wimbledon Theatre in London. "We love willies" still cracks me up, no matter how many times I see it. The whole sequence about tipping the toilet attendant (was that in this episode or another one?) was genius too. "A pound! I paid a pound to not p***!" Beautifully written, from one of the two great minds behind Father Ted.

It was the same episode! Noticed the exterior of the theater was the exterior of other places they visited, as well. They used it over and over. :rofl:

Signed up for Hulu last night & perused their selection of British comedy. Saw Father Ted. Will have to watch if it's the same minds involved. So many great lines. "Pedal stools?"

:pound:

And what does IT stand for? I really have no idea.

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Last night I watched the first episode of "Home Fires," the new PBS series about, so far, a group of women in a small English village at the start of WWII and how they are adjusting individually and as a group to the coming war.

As with most quality shows today, the period details are outstanding (I find I'm missing dialogue and have to go back as I get distracted with all the cool stuff to look at), the acting is strong, but the story is only okay and pretty much by the numbers with a little too much 2015 world-view taken by some of the characters. But again, only one episode in and it may improve.

To AmateisGal - have you seen it yet? I think it would be up your alley.

And watched episode two of "Indian Summers." Same as episode I (and same as "Home Fires"): (so I'll cut and paste from above) the period details are outstanding (I find I'm missing dialogue and have to go back as I get distracted with all the cool stuff to look at), the acting is strong, but the story is only okay and pretty much by the numbers with a little too much 2015 world-view taken by some of the characters.

Yes! I watched the first two episodes of Home Fires, but will have to catch up on the third because I'll be overseas. I really enjoyed it. Yeah, not a lot in terms of story, but oh my gosh, the period details are superb and I love Samantha Bond's character - so full of fire and spirit!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Signed up for Hulu last night & perused their selection of British comedy. Saw Father Ted. Will have to watch if it's the same minds involved. So many great lines. "Pedal stools?"

I wish I could remember the name of the British comedy about a young priest, that took over the perish from the former priest that died. It was set, I believe in Ireland, just before WWII. It was so funny! Does any one know the name of the show?

The Walking Dead a few days ago. Right now it's Thursday Night Football, Major League Baseball, and a UFC 185 rebroadcast. When I don't like how my team is doing, I switch channels.
:D
At some point, I hope to get around to Fargo and finish Daredevil and Mr. Robot.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
As the guy who is a season behind (working my way through season 2 on Netflix), I hope this is a one-off as I want to have season 3 to look forward to.

I think it's a one-off. There were a few eps in Season 2 that just weren't as good as the others. The first two eps of Season 3 were superb. And to be fair, the latest episode introduced a new twist at the end that I'm really looking forward to.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I wish I could remember the name of the British comedy about a young priest, that took over the perish from the former priest that died. It was set, I believe in Ireland, just before WWII. It was so funny! Does any one know the name of the show?

I recall "Bless Me Father", set just after the war, but it was set in England.

Ballykissangel also has a young priest arriving in a small village set in Ireland, but it was set in the present (i.e. the time it was made, late 90s as I recall).

Then, of course, there's Father Ted...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken