Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Sound of Music live on NBC last night. I can honestly say that I didn't like it any less than the classic film version.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Sound of Music live on NBC last night. I can honestly say that I didn't like it any less than the classic film version.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
:eeek:
I'm sorry, that didn't come on last night at my house.
It was Top Gear from last week, not a bad show.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
As a confirmed Broadway musical geek, I also watched the live Sound of Music. It was interesting to see how the play differs from the movie (e.g., songs I hadn't heard before), and I give everyone involved tremendous credit for pulling off a fifties-style live TV performance of an extremely complex production without any technical or acting gaffs.

That said, this is far from my favorite R&H show (let's just say that nuns and Nazis didn't appeal to my Jewish parents, even though they were regular Broadway theatergoers in the fifties/sixties), and it definitely shows that Hammerstein didn't write the book: some of it doesn't really work. The cast was also a mixed bag: Carrie Underwood ain't Julie Andrews! But some of those brilliant songs were still powerfully affecting, I got ferklempt more than once...

Season Two - Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

Worf

Hi, what do you think of this entry in the Star Trek family?

I've seen and enjoyed the original Star Trek, Voyager and Enterprise (was disappointed it got canceled so quickly) and have seen, but am not a big fan of, The Next Generation, but for some reason, I've never seen Deep Space Nine.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Deep Space Nine is very divisive. Some Trek fans (especially those who were impressionable teens when it first aired, and particularly those who hadn't encountered the concept of moral ambiguity before) think it's the most flat-out brilliant of the Trek series. Others never warmed to it.

I am in the second camp: I watched it for the first few seasons, but it coincided with my kids exhausting toddlerhood and I couldn't see it religiously (and it's worth recalling that there was no video-on-demand yet then, so if you missed it and you weren't together enough to tape it, you missed it until the reruns and VHS releases). The second half of the series features the most convoluted arc-driven storytelling in Trek, so if you missed a couple of episodes, you were at a loss to figure out what was going on. Also, these war-oriented tales seemed very at odds with the best of Trek, which was about exploring and encountering the unknown, not a political/military conflict. And I have to say that I never warmed to any of the characters, who (by intention) were not the best and brightest of Starfleet on the flagship, but the second-stringers trapped in a faraway outpost that was originally of little consequence.

I have tried to get it into it repeatedly, but it just leaves me cold in a way that the other series - even the very disappointing Enterprise - doesn't. That doesn't mean that there weren't individual episodes I have enjoyed (e.g., "Beyond The Farthest Star" is brilliant), but in general I don't count myself as a fan. And I'm one of those dedicated Trek fans who goes all the way back to the very first broadcast in 1966, so it's rare that I'm not onboard with anything Trekkish (apart from the current film series, which I think completely misses what's essential to Trek, and whose this-timeline-supplants-the-old-one approach effectively invalidates my whole life of Trek-watching!)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I agree that many find DS9 "divisive" but I'm firmly in the former camp. I fell in love with many of the characters immediately. The father son dynamic of Sisko and his son Jake, with the son being EVERYTHING "Weasley" Crusher was not. The Bajoran's trying to piece their world together after 60 plus years of occupation, rape and murder. The fleshing out of the Ferengi and the Klingons as well as the symbiotic Trills and "Spoonhead" Cardassians, lent texture to the entire Star Trek Omniverse. And lastly the entire Founder vs. Alpha Quadrant war was just flat out masterful. In other Trek series you hear of past "interstellar wars" but never see them or their effect on the Federation. I for one never fully bought the whole "peaceful exploration of space" tripe. It ain't in us. While we might not have taken to the stars to conquer we damn sure didn't go into space to get slapped around either. Prime directive yeah... then why are their phasor's and photon torpedo's on the damn ships? As for "moral ambiguity" all life is moral ambiguity... shades of grey... None of this ever seemed to enter in to Rodenberry's world except around the edges... in DS9 you see hard choices every day and during the war people died... the things went wrong and sometimes prayers went... unanswered. That to me is life... DS9 was life but not in some moral utopia where humans suddenly no longer desire wealth, power or status or somehow gave up the will to fight back, but in a real world where one's ideals are challenged daily and the struggle is always in doubt.

Worf

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe