Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

cw3pa

A-List Customer
"Thirteen Women" (1932) on DVD with Irene Dunne, Ricardo Cortez and Myrna Loy. Myrna Loy's half-caste character (Ursula Georgi) goes after her old sorority chums for their racism. Ursula uses mesmerism and murder to get even until thwarted by Police Sergeant Barry Clive.

Myrna Loy in her pre Nora Charles guise.

I think it's also available through Amazon Prime.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Red Tails.
A great story about some great events. But spoilt by the overuse of CGI and things blowing up made the film look like footage from a shoot em up video game. Did Curtiss P40s really have the manoeuvrability of the latest Me 109s or was Lucas going back to his Pearl Harbour days.
He over did the maneuverability of both planes. Talking to pilots, the P-40 had an excellent roll rate, superior to the Zero at speed, and it sure could pick up speed in a dive, which AVG pilots used to great advantage. Biggest problem was lack of combat experience with all the American pilots!

A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014). Co-written, produced, and directed by Seth MacFarlane, so you pretty much know what you're getting before the movie even starts. This is one of those movies that's so stupid you'll find yourself laughing in disbelief that anyone would think it was a good idea, let alone spend the reported $40 million to make it. Lots of "colorful" language and anachronistic dialogue counterbalanced by some truly beautiful scenery, and a list of cameo appearances that include Christopher Lloyd, Gilbert Gottfried, Ewan McGregor, Ryan Reynolds, Bill Maher, Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting (in the unrated version of the movie), Jamie Foxx, and Sir Patrick Stewart as the voice of a sheep. I kinda' liked the movie, but I really couldn't recommend it to anyone.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
"Two Days, One Night," a Belgian working-class drama starring Marion Cotillard as a factory worker about to be cut from her job, who appeals to her friends and co-workers to unite to convince the company's management to keep her. It's movies like this that make up for all the pretentious arty stuff I have to look at.

Is this a Belgian film? Sounds like my kind of movie but I only watch them in original language as I cannot stand dubbed English.

He over did the maneuverability of both planes. Talking to pilots, the P-40 had an excellent roll rate, superior to the Zero at speed, and it sure could pick up speed in a dive, which AVG pilots used to great advantage. Biggest problem was lack of combat experience with all the American pilots!
I'll admit I dont know the full aerobatical abilities of either, it's just that the CGI made the performance of both aircraft look just a little(read a lot) over the top.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Greasy Hands Preachers

This looks good! Hope it comes to my town. [video=vimeo;83660067]https://vimeo.com/83660067[/video]

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
"Thirteen Women" (1932) on DVD with Irene Dunne, Ricardo Cortez and Myrna Loy. Myrna Loy's half-caste character (Ursula Georgi) goes after her old sorority chums for their racism. Ursula uses mesmerism and murder to get even until thwarted by Police Sergeant Barry Clive.

Myrna Loy in her pre Nora Charles guise.

I think it's also available through Amazon Prime.

Saw this a while back. It certainly falls under the classification of "melodramatic." Loy was also cast as Fu Manchu's daughter, so I guess the studio thought her looks lent themselves to playing Asian characters.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Field of Lost Shoes (2014) about the VMI cadets pressed into action at the battle of New Market, in Virginia.

Huk!, which rhymes with "hook", from 1956, with George Montgomery and Mona Freeman. Montgomery returns to the Philippines after fourteen years to see to the plantation of his late father, while Communist peasants revolt. If I remember correctly, the screen play does not mention the Communist background of the "bandit army." They're depicted as rotten marauders with no discernible political viewpoint.

IMHO ever since CGI came into its own, the quality of screenwriting - aka "storylines" or "plots" - has just about went down the tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if it is CGI or the economics of movies - the need to have "huge" opening weekends, which seems to mean attracting teenager - but with a few exceptions here and there - the good story telling is on TV today in some of the well-noted dramas.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Perhaps you're right. It just seems that more and more Hollywierd just relay on wowing the audience with cheesy CGI instead of a credible or otherwise quality plot.

Perhaps you're right. It just seems that more and more Hollywierd just relay on wowing the audience with cheesy CGI instead of a credible or otherwise quality plot.

I claim no real knowledge of the reason, but over the last decade or so, I've gone from being interested in new movie releases (which I was my entire life), to caring much more about TV show's like "Homeland," "Downton Abbey," "Call the Midwife," and "Orange is the New Black." I don't even follow what new movies are coming out as the few here and there that are worthwhile will somehow or other hit my radar, but this way, I avoid having to hear about some car smash-up movie VI or another teenage vampire epic.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And at the opposite extreme, you have "art films," where the point is the presentation not what's being presented. Not to say all such pictures have meandering, pointless stories -- but after ten years of watching "arthouse cinema" for a living, I'll take a cheap Hollywood potboiler from 1937 any day of the week over the latest bloated, incoherent offering from the Terence Malicks of the business. The pictures that bring out the crowds, even in our oh-so-self-consciously-arty town, are the ones that tell real stories simply and well.

Since 2005 our top-grossing attractions have been, in order, "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel," "The King's Speech," and "Juno." They were all well-constructed *stories* above and beyond any artisitc or social-commentary content, and that's still what people want to see. The grown-up moviegoing public wants less pretentious Film School gimmickry and more honest storytelling.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Since 2005 our top-grossing attractions have been, in order, "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel," "The King's Speech," and "Juno." They were all well-constructed *stories* above and beyond....

I missed The King's Speech. And I missed Black Swan, which was edged out by the former for Oscar.
And I still haven't seen the Maine based tale, Bluebird. Or Mister Turner. Moneyball also. :eek:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I must've seen "King's Speech" a dozen times over the month we ran it, and I never got tired of it. I dug up a recording of the *actual* King's Speech depicted in the film and played it over the sound system, along with a bunch of contemporaneous BBC shortwave news broadcasts, during the walk-in for the shows, and people were astounded at how well Firth managed to nail His Majesty's mannerisms without coming across as a cheesy impersonation. We were still getting 150 people a night for it three weeks into the run, which is something no film we've ever had has been able to match.

I never saw "Moneyball" either, but my mother absolutely loved it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld