Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Well I kinda like "Svengoolie", yeah he's stupid and silly but he doesn't take himself seriously and I don't take him seriously either. This tradition goes WAY back with m the "Zackerly" used to host monster movies on T.V. on the weekends in NY. I guess I'm just a sucker for it.

WorF
The only horror host that I had watched semi-regularly before was on Los Angeles television from 1969-74, Larry "Seymour" Vincent. He was rather thin and his face was gaunt, so he didn't wear any of the overly-theatrical makeup like modern horror hosts because he didn't need to. Also, as best I can remember, his schtick was more like Mystery Science Theater 3000, heckling the movies before and after the commercial breaks. To be honest, I think I found Svengoolie annoying for the same reason I find commentary tracks on DVDs and Blu-Rays annoying--I just want them to shut up so I can watch the movie. lol

I agree with Worf. Svengoolie can range from somewhat amusing to downright hilarious, depending on the BPV (beers per view) of any given episode. But, more importantly, he is carrying on a long tradition that dates back to the mid 50s, with hosts Zacherley and Vampira. And who among ye that lived through the 80s can forget Elvira?
Oh, I'm familiar with the concept of horror hosts, it's just that I generally don't find them entertaining. Zacherle was one of the better ones (based on what little I've seen of his act, that is; I don't recall seeing him on local TV when I was growing up), but didn't particularly care for Elvira. On a side-note, I've always thought Cassandra Petersen was/is far more attractive dressed as herself than as her alter-ego Elvira.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
She Loved a Fireman. Not very good, but, nice to see the old hook and ladder trucks! There were also some good action footage of Los Angeles Fire Boat No. 2, the Ralph J. Scott.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The only horror host that I had watched semi-regularly before was on Los Angeles television from 1969-74, Larry "Seymour" Vincent. He was rather thin and his face was gaunt, so he didn't wear any of the overly-theatrical makeup like modern horror hosts because he didn't need to. Also, as best I can remember, his schtick was more like Mystery Science Theater 3000, heckling the movies before and after the commercial breaks. To be honest, I think I found Svengoolie annoying for the same reason I find commentary tracks on DVDs and Blu-Rays annoying--I just want them to shut up so I can watch the movie. lol

Oh, I'm familiar with the concept of horror hosts, it's just that I generally don't find them entertaining. Zacherle was one of the better ones (based on what little I've seen of his act, that is; I don't recall seeing him on local TV when I was growing up), but didn't particularly care for Elvira. On a side-note, I've always thought Cassandra Petersen was/is far more attractive dressed as herself than as her alter-ego Elvira.

Seymour was all the rage with my buddies. On Mondays we would waste class time recounting that weekend's antics. I wish those shows were on dvd...
KHJ channel 9 had a sort of "Chiller" monster show, without a host, but with an echo-y voice over ("Hellooo, there..") while smoke wafted around a darkened screen.

Seymour was all the rage with my buddies. On Mondays we would waste class time recounting that weekend's antics. I wish those shows were on dvd...
Most (if not all) of these shows were such low-budget affairs that they were obliterated when the production companies re-used the videotape they were filmed on and recorded over them in an effort to save money. Unfortunately for Maila "Vampira" Nurmi, this worked against her when she sued Cassandra "Elvira" Peterson in the 1980s for infringement--because there was no footage of Nurmi's Vampira act available for review, the court had to base their decision strictly on the physical appearance of the characters, and it was eventually decided that the characters bore a "close resemblance" but that Elvira was not an "actual representation" of Vampira.

Getting back to Seymour, this unused footage might be all that's left:

[video=youtube;SvS9XAr0uZA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvS9XAr0uZA[/video]

I guess I'd forgotten he did skits as well. [huh]

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Just watched Werwolves on Wheels. A biker flic where a 1% Club, the Devils Advocates, get cursed by some satanist. You just have to see a Werewolf riding a Harley Chopper in what must be the worst 'Werewolf' make up seen so far. I first saw this film around 1982 it was crap then and just as bad now. A Classic :)

"The Man Who Never Was" a 1954 movie version of Britain's attempt during WWII to convince Germany to move its defenses of Sicily elsewhere because the allies where planning to invade elsewhere. This is a solid, enjoyable movie - enhanced by Clifton Webb's and Josephine Griffin's outstanding performances. I won't give any more of the plot away in case you aren't familiar with it or the real story that inspired the movie - and he real story is at least as fantastic as the movie.

Also, it was odd to see Clifton Webb in a hero role - which he handled wonderfully even while still bringing some of his usual snark and condescension. And as noted, Josephine Griffin, a British film star of the 1950s, was excellent as the quite, efficient, but passionate aid to Webb.

This movie popped up on some obscure (channel 1230 or something like that) cable channel which is only one of three new channels - at least to my basic-plus cable package (the "plus" is so that I can get TCM) - that play old movies regularly now - glad that is happening, but wonder why it is?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
"The Man Who Never Was" a 1954 movie version of Britain's attempt during WWII to convince Germany to move its defenses of Sicily elsewhere because the allies where planning to invade elsewhere. This is a solid, enjoyable movie - enhanced by Clifton Webb's and Josephine Griffin's outstanding performances. I won't give any more of the plot away in case you aren't familiar with it or the real story that inspired the movie - and he real story is at least as fantastic as the movie.

Also, it was odd to see Clifton Webb in a hero role - which he handled wonderfully even while still bringing some of his usual snark and condescension. And as noted, Josephine Griffin, a British film star of the 1950s, was excellent as the quite, efficient, but passionate aid to Webb.

This movie popped up on some obscure (channel 1230 or something like that) cable channel which is only one of three new channels - at least to my basic-plus cable package (the "plus" is so that I can get TCM) - that play old movies regularly now - glad that is happening, but wonder why it is?

On a side note, one of the cameo roles was played by Captain Ewen Edward Samuel Montagu, CBE, QC, DL, RNR, who thought up Operation Mincemeat. He played an Air Vice Marshal, who doubted the plan would work. "It was described as a "surreal" moment when the real Montagu addresses his fictional persona, played by Webb."

On a side note, one of the cameo roles was played by Captain Ewen Edward Samuel Montagu, CBE, QC, DL, RNR, who thought up Operation Mincemeat. He played an Air Vice Marshal, who doubted the plan would work. "It was described as a "surreal" moment when the real Montagu addresses his fictional persona, played by Webb."

Great inside baseball - I remember the moment in the film, but will look for it the next time I watch it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We're in the midst of a run of "Mr Turner," a biographical costume drama about the English artist J. M. W. Turner. Mike Leigh is a fine director, and Timothy Spall is excellent in the title role -- but at two and a half hours running time, it's quite literally like watching paint dry. Slice out forty minutes, and you've got a much better picture.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, with Duke, Jimmy, Lee Marvin at his always-ready-to-erupt psycho best, and a couple dozen of the incredibly familiar faces that John Ford used all the time. (IMDB says the cast numbers 90)

Snowden the documentary about whistle-blower Edward Snowden. If all the material is true, we're in 1984 on steroids.

White Zombie (1932) and Ouanga (1935) as part of the UCLA Festival of Preservation at the Billy Wilder Theater in Los Angeles this month.

White Zombie was the most recent restoration of the movie, with the best footage and sound taken from five different copies of the movie to fully restore it to the version seen in theaters when the movie premiered in 1932. Bela Lugosi Jr. attended with five family members, and he was kind enough to pose for photographs with some of the attendees in the lobby during the intermission. The version of Ouanga that we saw was the only known copy of the movie in existence; it was preserved, but missing approximately 15 minutes from it's original run time. This movie, actually filmed on location in Haiti and Jamaica, was plagued with problems throughout it's production, including the deaths of five crew members; sadly, the movie is pretty bad and didn't warrant their sacrifice. Exiting the theater after the showing, I was pondering aloud to my friend about whether the missing 15 minutes would have improved the movie or made it worse, which gave everyone within earshot a good laugh.

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Escape from Crime (1942) with Richard Travis, Julie Bishop and Jackie Gleason (who was in it for all of about 5 minutes). ;)

Also White Heat (1949) with Jimmy Cagney, Virginia Mayo and Edmond O'Brian.

RE "White Heat" - Cagney is a huge talent that it took me awhile to appreciate. It wasn't until I saw "One, Two, Three" that I got it - got what an incredible talent he is. Since then, I try and catch every Cagney film I can as, even in the not great ones, he still brings something special to it. It's funny how you can be a fan of old movies for decades, like I have been, and then one movie changes your entire opinion about an actor or wakes you up to his or her talent.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
We're in the midst of a run of "Mr Turner," a biographical costume drama about the English artist J. M. W. Turner. Mike Leigh is a fine director, and Timothy Spall is excellent in the title role -- but at two and a half hours running time, it's quite literally like watching paint dry. Slice out forty minutes, and you've got a much better picture.

Sounds like a lobster roll and a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc are requisite, with a box of popcorn of course; but even with
the length, Turner is an intriguing subject to capture. This is one film I would particularly enjoy.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, with Duke, Jimmy, Lee Marvin at his always-ready-to-erupt psycho best, and a couple dozen of the incredibly familiar faces that John Ford used all the time. (IMDB says the cast numbers 90)

Snowden the documentary about whistle-blower Edward Snowden. If all the material is true, we're in 1984 on steroids.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was a great movie. Duke let Jimmy take his whole future life away from him. Willingly.......:doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe