Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

And at the opposite extreme, you have "art films," where the point is the presentation not what's being presented. Not to say all such pictures have meandering, pointless stories -- but after ten years of watching "arthouse cinema" for a living, I'll take a cheap Hollywood potboiler from 1937 any day of the week over the latest bloated, incoherent offering from the Terence Malicks of the business. The pictures that bring out the crowds, even in our oh-so-self-consciously-arty town, are the ones that tell real stories simply and well.

Since 2005 our top-grossing attractions have been, in order, "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel," "The King's Speech," and "Juno." They were all well-constructed *stories* above and beyond any artisitc or social-commentary content, and that's still what people want to see. The grown-up moviegoing public wants less pretentious Film School gimmickry and more honest storytelling.

Could not agree more. And, yes, those are probably three of my five favorite films over that time period. I think "Shutter Island" would get me up to four and I'd have to think to find a fifth one and I know I could not get to ten as I have not truly enjoyed ten movies in the last ten years.

And, like you, I would take many movies from the '30s and '40s to most of what is put out today.

Edit add: But I still argue that TV shows like the ones I mentioned earlier and "True Detective" or "The Blacklist" have real story telling and real character development. "True Detective" is the closest to modern film noir that I've seen in a long time.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
See a picture called "City Island," an extremely likeable drama from 2009 about a working-class New York family and the various people that float in and out of its orbit. It's funny, poignant, and honest, and while it wasn't a top-ten attraction here it did very well for us in the week that we had it. Of all the films I've shown over the last decade, it's one of my personal favorites. If I ever made a movie myself, it would feel very much like this one.

See a picture called "City Island," an extremely likeable drama from 2009 about a working-class New York family and the various people that float in and out of its orbit. It's funny, poignant, and honest, and while it wasn't a top-ten attraction here it did very well for us in the week that we had it. Of all the films I've shown over the last decade, it's one of my personal favorites. If I ever made a movie myself, it would feel very much like this one.

I have seen it and really enjoyed it: Well-drawn characters and good plot development. Occasionally strayed a bit too far into goofy / screwball-ness for me, but still was impressed. Also, after nearly three decades of mainly working / living in NYC, I am always amazed at how many niche enclaves with their own subcultures still exist - thankfully.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've seen it too. A very pleasant little film.

I grew up just north of the city in Yonkers, and we frequently went over to City Island for the seafood restaurants. Friends of my parents had a summer house there, just three houses away from the big Victorian house where they shot the exteriors in Sidney Lumet's film of Long Day's Journey Into Night. Some years later, I took a sailing course there. City Island is a remarkable place even by NYC standards: it really is like a little coastal New England village plopped down in a corner of the Bronx!

Strangely? Actually a fond memory. When my wife and I got married 38 years ago, it just so happened that the then annual broadcast of "The Wizard of OZ" was our first night together. So we watched "The Wizard Of OZ" on our honeymoon. Hey? You gotta keep your priorities in order. It is still one of my favorite movies.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Based on someone else's recommendation on here (can't remember who tho) I watched "Field of Lost Shoes" about the VMI cadets who fought in the CW Battle at New Market. Good flick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
gilda.jpg

I sat through this. I just don't see what the attraction for this film was though. But then...I was never a Rita Hayworth fan.

OTOH, I did love Hotel Berlin, which I saw next. Wonderful film. :)
543e26865dc6fc6cb72322fbd9565c56.jpg

Last edited:
Roman Holiday

Currently the following rule is being considered for the "What is the Last TV Show You Watched" thread. Perhaps we should consider it for this thread as well. See proposed rule below.

vmtrevino2 - what did you think of "Roman Holiday?"

Proposed Rule
"The Jamespowers" rule: one must post, at minimum, a one sentence comment / observation / opinion about the show or movie they are posting that they have watched.

All meant in good fun - it's great to hear the opinions of our members - even if just a blurb - of the movies and TV shows that they posted that they just saw.

Last edited:

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
If you can't understand the draw then I just can't help you. :p

You mean Rita Hayworth? Oh man, I think there were a LOT pretty women in that era than Rita Hayworth. Like Dorothy Lamour, Hedy Lamar, and Linda Darnell. Just to name a few. I know a lot of folks like Rita, but I just wasn’t a fan.

th
th
th

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe