Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Last night we got through the new Lone Ranger movie and as my friend said it was a good popcorn movie. Lots of (often) silly action, some decent jokes, a surprisingly good group of acting talent, and a pace that moved along and belied its 2.5+ hour length. Brain candy? Yes. Watch, enjoy, forget.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Last night I got tired of NBC's crappy, advertisement-riddled, Americano-centric coverage of the Olympics and watched McQueen in The Hunter from 1980, his last film before his death later that year. The film is average overall, although the first half is quite good and parts of the second half are too; the second half is marred, however, by some drama regarding his character's pregnant girlfriend, and an totally unnecessary sub-plot of some nutbar trying to kill him. There's a great vehicle chase through a cornfield which is will photographed from the air -- I've never seen anything like that -- and McQueen, tired and dying though he was, performs okay. Eli Wallach delivers and a bunch of 1970s character actors make for fun face-spotting. Unfortunately the final final ending is lame and leaves a bad taste. Also, the soundtrack is terrible. Oh well. For USAF flying jacket fans, McQueen wears a MA-1 ground crew jacket in virtually ever scene of the film, which is reason alone to watch the film for some people.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
"Up In The Air" with Clooney. Excellently made movie, slick, smart, well written. Unfortunately it really hit home on a personal level, but I guess that's a sign of a good movie.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The Warriors (1979).
My wife has never seen this one.
Then again, she put Gas Pump Girls on our Netflix cue, and claims she never saw that one either.
Who is this woman? :eeek:

Also watched Field Of Dreams and Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid.
Why?
She had the controller, and I didn't feel like getting up.

Last edited:
"42"

While beautifully filmed and the story is inspiring, at the margin, the feel for me was a bit too Disney-a-fied (and I know it isn't a Disney movie). Yes, there were some real and powerful moments that showed the ugly abuse Jackie Robinson faced and the strain he felt and there were some nuanced moments where some people seemed to question their existing prejudices and show some personal growth: overall, there were a few too many good versus evil / right versus wrong moments that seemed to over-simplify the story.

That said, still beautiful to watch and even in this version, the power of what happened and Jackie Robinson's dignity came through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe