Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Selma Hayek dancing in dusk til dawn changed my world!

Just have to say.... "From Dusk Till Dawn" is one of my fave Vampire Flicks. So completely flat-out over the top I just can't help but watch it when its on. Danny Treo and Cheech were marvelous in it.

"Lowly Dog!"

"Satanica Pandemonia"

And Selma wasn't half bad either....

Worf

From Here to Eternity (1953). I'd never made much of an effort to see the movie before because any time it was mentioned the "film pundits" would drone on and on about the love affair between Sgt. Warden (Burt Lancaster) and Karen Holmes (Deborah Kerr) and rarely mention anything else about the movie, so it didn't interest me. I'm glad I finally gave it a chance.

Yesterday, I finally got to see Good Will Hunting (1997). Great performances, including a very moving 'speech' by Robin Williams about mid-way through. Loved it.
I concur. Arguably Williams' best straight (i.e., non-comedic) performance in a movie, and one of the few (as best I can remember) where he doesn't break into his normal schtick at some point.

From Here to Eternity (1953). I'd never made much of an effort to see the movie before because any time it was mentioned the "film pundits" would drone on and on about the love affair between Sgt. Warden (Burt Lancaster) and Karen Holmes (Deborah Kerr) and rarely mention anything else about the movie, so it didn't interest me. I'm glad I finally gave it a chance.

I thought about posting "From Here to Eternity" on the Over-appreciated movie thread, not because I think it is a bad movie - I like it - but because I think it is greatly overrated. It is just a decent movie, with some good themes and characters, but also, too much melodrama, some forced scenes and some boring periods. To me, it is not a classic - as it seems to be viewed - but a fine movie to watch if you have a few hours to kill and nothing more.

I thought about posting "From Here to Eternity" on the Over-appreciated movie thread, not because I think it is a bad movie - I like it - but because I think it is greatly overrated. It is just a decent movie, with some good themes and characters, but also, too much melodrama, some forced scenes and some boring periods. To me, it is not a classic - as it seems to be viewed - but a fine movie to watch if you have a few hours to kill and nothing more.
I can understand that. Having now seen it, I'm having a little difficulty understanding why so many so-called experts focus on the love story between Warden and Holmes--to me it felt rushed, and I didn't think Lancaster and Kerr had any chemistry; I found the love story between Prewitt (Montgomery Clift) and Lorene/Alma (Donna Reed) far more interesting and believable.

Old Rogue

Practically Family

The history teacher hauled us to a theater to see this when I was in high school back in the early 70's. Haven't seen it since, but I remember it being a good movie with lots of laughs. I now realize it was a conspiracy between Hollywood and the government to force unsuspecting teens to actually learn something about U.S. history. I think their plan worked! :)

hatguy1

One Too Many
The history teacher hauled us to a theater to see this when I was in high school back in the early 70's. Haven't seen it since, but I remember it being a good movie with lots of laughs. I now realize it was a conspiracy between Hollywood and the government to force unsuspecting teens to actually learn something about U.S. history. I think their plan worked! :)

Me too. Darn the luck. :spy:

hatguy1

One Too Many
L.A. Confidential. Seen it a dozen times or more. Something about the sets, etc in that movie.... Just makes ya feel like you're right there in the period and alongside the characters.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe