Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I watched Star Trek Into Darkness on a library DVD, and saw that I had made the right decision when I skipped seeing it in theaters. I thought it was awful, the worst excuse for a Trek movie since Nemesis or The Final Frontier. Sure, it had some cool effects work, but the pacing was bad, the characterizations were terrible, literally nothing in it made any sense, and even the presence of Ben Batch couldn't save it. The "homage to" Wrath of Khan was particularly badly done. Super blood that restores the dead to life? I can accept that in vampire stories where I'm suspending disbelief in the supernatural, but not is something that calls itself science fiction...

This is so NOT Trek to me. I felt that way after the first reboot film, and I thought that literally every storytelling decision in this film was dead wrong. (But hey, what do I know? I've only watched virtually every minute of Trek - apart from some of Deep Space Nine - since the first broadcast in September 1966!)

I watched Star Trek Into Darkness on a library DVD, and saw that I had made the right decision when I skipped seeing it in theaters. I thought it was awful, the worst excuse for a Trek movie since Nemesis or The Final Frontier. Sure, it had some cool effects work, but the pacing was bad, the characterizations were terrible, literally nothing in it made any sense, and even the presence of Ben Batch couldn't save it. The "homage to" Wrath of Khan was particularly badly done. Super blood that restores the dead to life? I can accept that in vampire stories where I'm suspending disbelief in the supernatural, but not is something that calls itself science fiction...

This is so NOT Trek to me. I felt that way after the first reboot film, and I thought that literally every storytelling decision in this film was dead wrong. (But hey, what do I know? I've only watched virtually every minute of Trek - apart from some of Deep Space Nine - since the first broadcast in September 1966!)
Agreed on all of that. It was dreck.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Damage said:
Last night I watched "The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3" which I thought was EXCELLENT in virtually every respect and washed away the bad taste of that "Touch of Evil" which I watched the night before.
ButteMT61 said:
I agree! I didn't want to see it based on the trailers, but was I glad I went to it. We have it on DVD too. It sorta changed my mind on Denzel. I think he's grown a lot and I am now a big fan.
Oh sorry, I meant the original film which was set in 1970s New York and had a great blend of drama, action, and humour. I had forgotten there was a remake!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Strange said:

jamespowers said:
Agreed on all of that. It was dreck.
I suspected as much, after I read an online article which pulled apart all the dumbassery in the film's dumbass story. I have one friend, though, who like Doctor Strange has seen every ST show and movie ever made, who loved this film. I've avoided it thus far and based on your reviews will avoid it altogether. It's a shame a re-boot was thought necessary; what's wrong with new characters?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Scrooged.

I didn't like the reboot either. Why change beloved characters?

I usually agree, but "Scrooged" worked for me and I'm a TOUGH sell on remakes trust me. There are a TON of Scrooges running around Wall Street today... trust me. By the end of that one I was crying too. I just watched Alistair Sim's version and thus far it's still my fave. HOWEVER , upon the recommendation of a VERY kind Lounger I'm recording the 1999 version with Patrick Stewart tonight... I'll let you know what I think.

Worf

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I'm watching the 1999 version now, recorded and time delayed (by me) so I can run through all the dern commercials.
Plus it said "time compressed" ie edited. Lovely....Screw up something your own network made when it made movies. Brilliant.

vintageTink

One Too Many
I usually agree, but "Scrooged" worked for me and I'm a TOUGH sell on remakes trust me. There are a TON of Scrooges running around Wall Street today... trust me. By the end of that one I was crying too. I just watched Alistair Sim's version and thus far it's still my fave. HOWEVER , upon the recommendation of a VERY kind Lounger I'm recording the 1999 version with Patrick Stewart tonight... I'll let you know what I think.

Worf
Oh no! I meant the Star Trek reboot, Worf!

I love Scrooged.

I just finished watching "great rock-n-roll swindle" .... again for the first time in I don't know how long.
Jeez....do I feel old right now.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Jack Reacher" - C-Minus - Ugh.... so badly predictable I almost fell asleep... twice. Faux convolution that I saw through in an instant... Personally, I've known PLENTY of tough little guys, T.C. ain't one of em. Cagney would eat him alive. What a load of absolute cobblers! The "romance" was like fingernails on chalk board. Ughhh!

Worf

Last edited:
"Jack Reacher" - C-Minus - Ugh.... so badly predictable I almost fell asleep... twice. Faux convolution that I saw through in an instant... Personally, I've known PLENTY of tough little guys, T.C. ain't one of em. Cagney would eat him alive. What a load of absolute cobblers! The "romance" was like fingernails on chalk board. Ughhh!

Worf

C- sums it up perfectly! It is popular to dislike him, but I believe Cruise is much better than that movie allowed him to be.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe