Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

A friend came over and I conned him into watching Laura. He was going to watch just some and leave. Well, he finished it because he wanted to know who did it. :p

I'm making an assumption, but if he wasn't already an old movie fan, two things worked. One, you chose well as Laura is a classic for a reason: solid script, well-above-average acting and it is beautifully shot and directed (and even has a hauntingly beautiful leitmotif). And, two, for a non-fan to get into an old movie (and even better, become a new fan), something has to be right in the zeitgeist at the moment they are watching.

I don't know if it's the person's mood or concentration, his or her willingness to see something not from a modern-movie perspective or movie kismet, but something has to be "in the air" at that moment they are watching the movie. I have a few friends who it took three or four tries at watching old movies to get them hooked. One is now such a fan that he saves them on his DVR for when the wife and kids aren't around (they aren't fans) so that he can watch them. And he used to make snarky comments about "those old black and white films with silly plots," but it was "Casablanca" on TCM one night when he was alone that finally did it.

I'm making an assumption, but if he wasn't already an old movie fan, two things worked. One, you chose well as Laura is a classic for a reason: solid script, well-above-average acting and it is beautifully shot and directed (and even has a hauntingly beautiful leitmotif). And, two, for a non-fan to get into an old movie (and even better, become a new fan), something has to be right in the zeitgeist at the moment they are watching.

I don't know if it's the person's mood or concentration, his or her willingness to see something not from a modern-movie perspective or movie kismet, but something has to be "in the air" at that moment they are watching the movie. I have a few friends who it took three or four tries at watching old movies to get them hooked. One is now such a fan that he saves them on his DVR for when the wife and kids aren't around (they aren't fans) so that he can watch them. And he used to make snarky comments about "those old black and white films with silly plots," but it was "Casablanca" on TCM one night when he was alone that finally did it.

Well, he is an old movie fan as am I but the move title and such struck him as a "Chick Flick." lol lol
I think Gene Tierney had something to do with it too. :eyebrows: :p

vintageTink

One Too Many
Jack Frost you say?
This is without a doubt, their finest hour or hour and a half. :D
How could you not like this guy?
View attachment 7248
And quotes such as....
Quick, give him Dutch Elm disease.
A movie that dares to ask the question...will he find the dwarf?
False alarm, it's just Bjork.
Truly a masterpiece.

Tonight will probably be MST3K: Santa Claus conquers the Martians.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Fading Fast said:
...And, two, for a non-fan to get into an old movie (and even better, become a new fan), something has to be right in the zeitgeist at the moment they are watching. I don't know if it's the person's mood or concentration, his or her willingness to see something not from a modern-movie perspective or movie kismet, but something has to be "in the air" at that moment they are watching the movie. I have a few friends who it took three or four tries at watching old movies to get them hooked....
That's a great point and something I hadn't considered before, although from time to time I enjoy 'old' movies and at other times avoid them. I find that quality varies a lot in old movies, just like with modern movies, and I think it's easy to forget that Hollywood churned out a lot of crap in the old days, just as much as they do today.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Since I'm convalescing, I watched Singing In The Rain.
Not a bad movie overall, considering I don't like musicals.
Better than Heidi singing on a hill. :eeek:

Vintagetink, I might get Jack Frost out if I can find it, and watch that today.
I do have my DVD's organized by show, so the MST3K's are in one area.
Makes it easier to find.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Last night I watched "Touch of Evil" which I borrowed from the library. There's no question in my mind this is a well-crafted and acted film, but some of the story elements made no sense and distracted from the overall story, while other story elements were wrapped up in a couple sentences at the end. And Dietrich's character seemed totally superfluous. The version I watched was the 110 min version and was supposedly an attempt to restore the film to what Welles' wanted. Anyway, for me this film didn't live up to its reputation and I won't watch it again.

vintageTink

One Too Many
Since I'm convalescing, I watched Singing In The Rain.
Not a bad movie overall, considering I don't like musicals.
Better than Heidi singing on a hill. :eeek:

Vintagetink, I might get Jack Frost out if I can find it, and watch that today.
I do have my DVD's organized by show, so the MST3K's are in one area.
Makes it easier to find.

Fun! Enjoy the movie.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Last night I watched "The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3" which I thought was EXCELLENT in virtually every respect and washed away the bad taste of that "Touch of Evil" which I watched the night before.

Last night I watched "The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3" which I thought was EXCELLENT in virtually every respect and washed away the bad taste of that "Touch of Evil" which I watched the night before.

I agree! I didn't want to see it based on the trailers, but was I glad I went to it. We have it on DVD too. It sorta changed my mind on Denzel. I think he's grown a lot and I am now a big fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe