Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Too Late for Tears.

"One night on a lonely highway, a speeding car tosses a satchel of money, meant for somebody else, into Jane and Alan Palmer's back seat. Alan wants to turn it over to the police, but Jane, with luxury within her reach, persuades him to hang onto it "for a while." Soon, the Palmers are traced by one Danny Fuller, a sleazy character who claims the money is his. To hang onto it, Jane will need all the qualities of an ultimate femme fatale...and does she ever have them!"

Aside from the fact that Lizabeth Scott looks like a man in a dress, the plot has more twists and turns than a rollercoaster. :p

images

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Too Late for Tears.

"One night on a lonely highway, a speeding car tosses a satchel of money, meant for somebody else, into Jane and Alan Palmer's back seat. Alan wants to turn it over to the police, but Jane, with luxury within her reach, persuades him to hang onto it "for a while." Soon, the Palmers are traced by one Danny Fuller, a sleazy character who claims the money is his. To hang onto it, Jane will need all the qualities of an ultimate femme fatale...and does she ever have them!"

Aside from the fact that Lizabeth Scott looks like a man in a dress, the plot has more twists and turns than a rollercoaster. :p

images

Like a man in a dress?? Wow...It is quite a film, based on the novel by Roy Huggins, who also wrote the novel on which his screenplay for I Love Trouble (w/ Franchot Tone) was based on.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Last movie watched was Mutiny on the Bounty ('62 version) with Trevor Howard, Marlon Brando, and Richard Harris. Historical accuracy aside I was hoping Capt. Bligh would make it back to Tahiti and hunt down that foppish Fletcher Christian!

I recorded the 1942 movie The Falcon Takes Over on TCM . George Sanders stars (he was later replaced in the series by his brother) in what seems to be the first filming of the Raymond Chandler story Farewell My Lovely. The film is apparently overshadowed by next year's excellent Murder My Sweet by Edward Dmytryk.
Apparently Hollywood's fever for remakes is nothing new. ;)

That's correct, including your last statement...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I saw one of your favorite Poverty Row producing companies. The film was Detour.

"In flashback, New York nightclub pianist Al Roberts hitchhikes to Hollywood to join his girl Sue. On a rainy night, the sleazy gambler he's riding with mysteriously dies; afraid of the police, Roberts takes the man's identity. But thanks to a blackmailing dame, Roberts' every move plunges him deeper into trouble..."

Talk about plot twists and turns.:eusa_doh:
It was another Claudia Drake movie too. :p

Yes, PRC had some "unique" films. Many consider Detour to be the best Film Noir ever made.

Another Claudia Drake film? Which was the other referenced?

Like a man in a dress?? Wow...It is quite a film, based on the novel by Roy Huggins, who also wrote the novel on which his screenplay for I Love Trouble (w/ Franchot Tone) was based on.

Well it is her face. Really manly looking. First my brother in law said she looked like a man---even though I was just thinking it. Then my wife walks in and says it too. :rofl: Reminds me of an Austin Powers quote. :p

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Yes, and an under-rated film when it comes to Welles' "canon."

Just saw The Black Book (a.k.a. The Reign of Terror), and Scene of the Crime, both from '49 and both featuring Arlene Dahl, at the Film Noir Festival at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood. Enjoyed the two of them, although I'm not sure I would call either one Noir. The first, directed by Anthony Mann, filmed by John Alton and released by Eagle-Lion, dealt with the French Reign of Terror, and the end of Robespierre (played very well by Richard Basehart). It was "interesting," to say the least, to see Charles McGraw in the role of a French Hussar; some reviewer referred to McGraw, with his scraggly beard and longish hair, as looking like the leader of a French biker gang. The actor who stole all the scenes he was in, though, was Arnold Moss as Fouche'. He had a natural, almost flippant style that was unique for the time, and is almost a dead ringer for actor Adrien Brody. Intriguing film by Mann/Alton, although most of the actors looked Anglo-Saxon rather than French. The second film dealt with a L.A. detective (Van Johnson) out to avenge the death of another officer, with some of the scenes filmed on location, others on the MGM backlot; not remarkable, but with a great cast including Gloria DeHaven, Tom Powers, Leon Ames, Tom Drake, Anthony Caruso, Jerome Cowan, and Romo Vincent (as "Hippo"). (One interesting scene dealt with a Black shoeshine man who gives Johnson's character some information: the former, despite his race and position, is presented as an intelligent, articulate person, who refers to the detective by his first name. Kind of a rarity for the time.)

The highlight of the evening was listening to the remarks of an actor who appeared in both films (very memorably in the second), Mr. Norman Lloyd (and who sat right in front of me). He told stories of working with Orson Welles in the Mercury Theatre, with Alfred Hitchcock, and of his times as an actor, director, and producer, in the venues of stage, screen, and television. Great memory for a seasoned veteran 97 years old!

Widebrim, I posted my rave for The Black Book back in October when I dvr'd it off of TCM. It's still on the machine for future viewings. This is a remarkable film, a historical story filmed in a noir style. Arnold Moss does indeed commit Grand Theft Acting.

Mystery Liner

Captain Holling is relieved of command of his ship after he suffers a nervous breakdown. His replacement, Captain Downey, takes over the liner just as it is about to be used for an experiment in remote control. Professor Grimson has devised a system for controlling the ship from a laboratory on land. But as Grimson demonstrates the system and the special component that makes it work, a rival group is listening in, hoping to use the device for its own purposes. Shortly after the demonstration, the professor is attacked and fatally injured. Major Pope comes on board to investigate the attack, and he decides to come along on the planned trip. Soon the ship is full of passengers and crew--and at least two of the ship's occupants are really enemy agents."

images

And Astrid Allwyn definitely doesn't doesn't look like a man.:p

images

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim, I posted my rave for The Black Book back in October when I dvr'd it off of TCM. It's still on the machine for future viewings. This is a remarkable film, a historical story filmed in a noir style. Arnold Moss does indeed commit Grand Theft Acting.

Yes, I remember when you reviewed it, Wally. I downloaded it off of Youtube for future re-viewing.

Mystery Liner

Captain Holling is relieved of command of his ship after he suffers a nervous breakdown. His replacement, Captain Downey, takes over the liner just as it is about to be used for an experiment in remote control. Professor Grimson has devised a system for controlling the ship from a laboratory on land. But as Grimson demonstrates the system and the special component that makes it work, a rival group is listening in, hoping to use the device for its own purposes. Shortly after the demonstration, the professor is attacked and fatally injured. Major Pope comes on board to investigate the attack, and he decides to come along on the planned trip. Soon the ship is full of passengers and crew--and at least two of the ship's occupants are really enemy agents."

images

And Astrid Allwyn definitely doesn't doesn't look like a man.:p

images

Sounds like an entertaining film there, JP. And, no, she definitely doesn't look like a man...;)

DesertDan

One Too Many
Rented a few this weekend;

Cowboys and Aliens - Good not great
Conan The Barbarian - meh, the original movie with Arnold and James Earl Jones was much better.
Captain America - Liked this alot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael