Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.(Original Swedish)

I always watch with subtitles in the original language. And sorry I will not be watching the new version.
Shows how a great story outclasses the crash bang and explosive action that fills most of todays films.

wahine

Practically Family
My Week With Marilyn
I enjoyed it, mainly for visual reasons. Also, Michelle Williams did a pretty good job in my opinion.

I liked both Young Guns movies, too, btw. :D

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I have to agree, I found Bridesmaids massively underwhelming when I finally saw it. This is a great leap forward in female-centric romantic comedies?!? Some of the performances were good, but it was remarkably unmemorable.

Frankly, I've been pretty disappointed in nearly every Apatow production. Some of them work to an extent (like Knocked Up and Forgetting Sarah Marshall) - often due more to the performers than the scripts - but many of them just leave me cold. The only one I absolutely love is Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, which hilariously demolishes every musical biopic cliche in existence with laser-guided precision.

Wow its amazing (amazing ah say) how two or 4 people can see the same film and come away with diametrically opposed opinions. I personally thought Bridesmaids was one of the runniest movies I've seen in the past 10 or 12 years. Last time I laughed that hard was with "There's Something About Mary". There were at least three times I wound up on the floor laughing sooo hard I couldn't breathe. What can I say, I don't think I'm "easy".

Worf

Adam Sandler is one of those guys I've never found funny. I've tried to sit through his films to give him a chance but the guy does absolutely nothing for me. While watching him I've found my ability to enjoy comedy decrease..

Sandler like Will Farrell tends to be hit or miss for (well) more mature adults. The younger guys tend to love their work.

Caught Young Guns II on the HBO channel available in the hotel here last night. Better than I remembered it being, despite that awful Jon Bon Jovi caterwauling over the end credits.

both are truly products of the time they were made. Actually, the films are formulaic but the acting by most is good to very good. hey are watchable with only a few winces.

In complete agreement there. Never had any desire to watch them and the bits I have seen annoyed me. Maybe watching them from beginning to end, I would feel differently, but I doubt it.

Trust me. You wouldn't feel different. :p
On the other hand, I saw The Stranger tonight:

"Wilson of the War Crimes Commission is seeking Franz Kindler, mastermind of the Holocaust, who has effectively erased his identity. Wilson releases Kindler's former comrade Meinike and follows him to Harper, Connecticut, where he is killed before he can identify Kindler. Now Wilson's only clue is Kindler's fascination with antique clocks; but though Kindler seems secure in his new identity, he feels his past closing in."

Now that was worth watching without thinking it was some ridiculous formulaic nonsense.

Worf

I'll Lock Up

"Wilson of the War Crimes Commission is seeking Franz Kindler, mastermind of the Holocaust, who has effectively erased his identity. Wilson releases Kindler's former comrade Meinike and follows him to Harper, Connecticut, where he is killed before he can identify Kindler. Now Wilson's only clue is Kindler's fascination with antique clocks; but though Kindler seems secure in his new identity, he feels his past closing in."

Now that was worth watching without thinking it was some ridiculous formulaic nonsense.

Great film, Robinson and Wells going toe to toe in the center of the ring. Amazing film that starkly juxtaposes how America, especially in victory, still didn't and doesn't know, the horrors of war and occupation. Couldn't recommend it more highly...

Worf

Brought my copy of the Prequel - The Thing to a friends house and watched it on the big big screen 120" projection. Since i had only watched it on a laptop , I could finally make out some scenes of the saucer and the souround sound made it resonate.

It is a great homage to Carpenter's and the B&W version too.

Here the head scientist of the Norwegian team is as big an a22h*le as Dr. Carrington in the 1951 version "The Thing - From Another World"

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Wrath of the Titans, with younger teen Hood. Lotta boom boom boom. He dug it. I will say that the cgi is amazing: the way it was shot, with the shakeycam look mixed with the cgi that presents gritty, rocky, textured images, is very good looking. However, for me it was still a lot of really big explosions, dysfunctional father-son issues, sibling jealousy, and really big explosions.

Edward

Bartender
Rented Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides (fourth one). Entertaining. Not great. Won't buy it. I do have an appreciation for Penelope Cruz I never had before...

Actually, I considered it to be the best one since the first film. I liked all of them well enough, but... a Pirates film with Johnny Depp and all the great things about the first three, and shorn of drippy Orlando and that awful Kiera Knightley? GENIUS.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

Yes, and an under-rated film when it comes to Welles' "canon."

Just saw The Black Book (a.k.a. The Reign of Terror), and Scene of the Crime, both from '49 and both featuring Arlene Dahl, at the Film Noir Festival at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood. Enjoyed the two of them, although I'm not sure I would call either one Noir. The first, directed by Anthony Mann, filmed by John Alton and released by Eagle-Lion, dealt with the French Reign of Terror, and the end of Robespierre (played very well by Richard Basehart). It was "interesting," to say the least, to see Charles McGraw in the role of a French Hussar; some reviewer referred to McGraw, with his scraggly beard and longish hair, as looking like the leader of a French biker gang. The actor who stole all the scenes he was in, though, was Arnold Moss as Fouche'. He had a natural, almost flippant style that was unique for the time, and is almost a dead ringer for actor Adrien Brody. Intriguing film by Mann/Alton, although most of the actors looked Anglo-Saxon rather than French. The second film dealt with a L.A. detective (Van Johnson) out to avenge the death of another officer, with some of the scenes filmed on location, others on the MGM backlot; not remarkable, but with a great cast including Gloria DeHaven, Tom Powers, Leon Ames, Tom Drake, Anthony Caruso, Jerome Cowan, and Romo Vincent (as "Hippo"). (One interesting scene dealt with a Black shoeshine man who gives Johnson's character some information: the former, despite his race and position, is presented as an intelligent, articulate person, who refers to the detective by his first name. Kind of a rarity for the time.)

The highlight of the evening was listening to the remarks of an actor who appeared in both films (very memorably in the second), Mr. Norman Lloyd (and who sat right in front of me). He told stories of working with Orson Welles in the Mercury Theatre, with Alfred Hitchcock, and of his times as an actor, director, and producer, in the venues of stage, screen, and television. Great memory for a seasoned veteran 97 years old!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael