Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rented a few this weekend;

Cowboys and Aliens - Good not great
Conan The Barbarian - meh, the original movie with Arnold and James Earl Jones was much better.
Captain America - Liked this alot.

First comic book I ever read as a kid was a Conan comic which then lead me to books by Robert E. Howard. This movie was so bad, I turned it off 30 minutes in. Arnold's second movie was better than this new schlock.

Scarlet Street
When a man in mid-life crisis befriends a young woman, her venal fiancé persuades her to con him out of some of the fortune she thinks he has.

220px-Scarlet_Street_p.jpg

Joan Bennet definitely made it interesting:p :
Joan+Bennett.jpg

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
First comic book I ever read as a kid was a Conan comic which then lead me to books by Robert E. Howard. This movie was so bad, I turned it off 30 minutes in. Arnold's second movie was better than this new schlock.

My trek was sort of the opposite: I read all the Conan paperbacks put out by Lancer books in the sixties, and later on read some of the comics. I have only seen a snippet of the movie on TV and don't have a desire to see the whole thing.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Scarlet Street
When a man in mid-life crisis befriends a young woman, her venal fiancé persuades her to con him out of some of the fortune she thinks he has.

220px-Scarlet_Street_p.jpg

Joan Bennet definitely made it interesting:p :
Joan+Bennett.jpg

The ending was incredible, and it allowed the movie to be passed by the Board, since Robinson's character is seen as technically not having gotten away with murder...Yeah, Joan was a corker.

My trek was sort of the opposite: I read all the Conan paperbacks put out by Lancer books in the sixties, and later on read some of the comics. I have only seen a snippet of the movie on TV and don't have a desire to see the whole thing.

What so many do not realize is that Robert E. Howard wrote so much more than just Conan stuff. Sadly, the movies do no justice to his contributions to the world of pulp.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I just finished watching the Chinese movie "The Flowers of War".

It's a Chinese-English production (featuring both languages, and subtitles) about the Rape of Nanking in 1937, during the Second Sino-Japanese War. It focuses on a mortician (played by Christian Bale) in 1930s Republican Nanking, who tries to protect the girls living in a Western catholic convent, whose resident priest has died (who Bale's character was supposed to embalm for burial).

It's a great movie, but it's not for the faint-hearted...it does have some rather gory scenes in it.

Midnight Manhunt
A gangster is shot in his hotel room and manages to make his way to a nearby wax museum, where he dies. A female reporter discovers the body and determines to break the case, but she must maneuver around a rival reporter--who happens to be her boyfriend--who also wants to break the case and the killer himself, who wants to find out where the body is.

And of course---without comment this time:
AnnSavage375.jpg

Ann Savage

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The latest film I watched was "The Lost Prince".

Well, film/two-part miniseries.

For those not familiar with it, it's the true story of His Royal Highness, the Prince John. The youngest, and most unfortunate son of King George V and Queen Mary. He died in 1919 at the age of 13, after suffering from years of epilepsy. A very sad, touching story about a sweet little boy. This is Prince John as he appeared around eight years old:

Prince_John_of_the_United_Kingdom_1913.jpg

His older brothers were, of course, Prince George (later Duke of Kent), Prince Henry (Duke of Gloucester), Prince Albert (Duke of York, later George VI), and his oldest brother, the scandalous Prince Edward (Prince of Wales, later Edward VIII).

It's a very touching and sad story about a boy who was born into the most famous royal family in the world...but who could take part in none of the festivities, lavishness or privileges which that would've afforded him.

When John died in 1919, Queen Mary was devastated.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I saw The Last Picture Show the other night. Odd. Someone here was posting about it Monday or Tuesday, and that very night it was on one of the movie channels.

I hadn't seen the film since I saw it at the theater in 1971. I enjoyed it much more this time. In 1971, I was all of sixteen and only cared about seeing Cybill Shepherd nude. Now, at fifty-six, I have a greater appreciation for what the writer was trying to convey. And I'll keep telling myself that it is better to be fifty-six and appreciate the deeper meaning of films than it is to be sixteen and want to see pretty women naked.

last-picture-show-criterion.jpg

AF

Last edited:

DesertDan

One Too Many
Now, at fifty-six, I have a greater appreciation for what the writer was trying to convey. And I'll keep telling myself that it is better to be fifty-six and appreciate the deeper meaning of films than it is to be sixteen and want to see pretty women naked.
AF

Not me. But then I'm only 48 and still easily amused. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael