Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Adventures of Tintin - amazing; the fluidity and the detail really deliver. Unfamiliar with Tintin, really, so I don't know how true to the original this is. Mrs. Hood liked it a lot. Younger Hoods didn't buy in as much as we did. Is the story set in the 1930s? The vehicles seem to indicate that era. Weren't jeeps and bazookas products of the 1940s? And the tank had modern lines, as opposed to those in the 30s. Captain Haddock looked like they computer-mapped the face of Tommy Lee Jones. When I first saw Tintin with his flip of red hair I thought that PeeWee Herman and Carrot Top had a child.

The motorcycle chase has that one long unbroken shot that is mind-blowing (have I exceeded my superlatives allotment?)

Edward

Bartender
The Adventures of Tintin - amazing; the fluidity and the detail really deliver. Unfamiliar with Tintin, really, so I don't know how true to the original this is. Mrs. Hood liked it a lot. Younger Hoods didn't buy in as much as we did. Is the story set in the 1930s? The vehicles seem to indicate that era. Weren't jeeps and bazookas products of the 1940s? And the tank had modern lines, as opposed to those in the 30s. Captain Haddock looked like they computer-mapped the face of Tommy Lee Jones. When I first saw Tintin with his flip of red hair I thought that PeeWee Herman and Carrot Top had a child.

The motorcycle chase has that one long unbroken shot that is mind-blowing (have I exceeded my superlatives allotment?)

The first book was published in 1930, the last in 1986. The books stay reasonably consistent in style, though certain elements creep in over time that aren't 1930s (for example, in one of the books, I forget which, there are some very clear depictions of an early Triumph Herald 1200 (late 50s). My take on Tin tin world was that it was one like our own, set in a parallel mid-Twentieth century that didn't exactly conform to our own. In essence, it's the perfect Dieselpunk world where the best elements of 30s style never went away, but without rejecting the best of the new either.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
The first book was published in 1930, the last in 1986. The books stay reasonably consistent in style, though certain elements creep in over time that aren't 1930s (for example, in one of the books, I forget which, there are some very clear depictions of an early Triumph Herald 1200 (late 50s). My take on Tin tin world was that it was one like our own, set in a parallel mid-Twentieth century that didn't exactly conform to our own. In essence, it's the perfect Dieselpunk world where the best elements of 30s style never went away, but without rejecting the best of the new either.

I could not have put it better. Well said Edward

Currently, "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World." As a kid, I used to watch it with my dad whenever possible; it was his favorite.

And there is a reason I call karaoke, "scary-okie" and that's because it just shouldn't be allowed in public!

Edward

Bartender
Due to a combined lack of anything decent on tonight and my being too lazy to root out a DVD, I have just been exposed to The Wedding Guest. If that's typical of the Hollywood "rom com" genre, then it is as appalling as when I last paid it any mind, in about 1989.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Not the last film I've seen, but I've just purchased off of ebay a rare Region 0 version of The Last Adventure (Les Aventuriers). I've seen a lot of the film on YouTube, but not all of it, and this DVD should have English subtitles. I'm looking forward to that, and I'll write a review of it later.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Last night it was The Adventures of Tintin. Wow! The animation was spectacular. The adventure was fast paced and I love how they combined three stories into one. The music is what I expect of John Williams and in many parts it borrows heavily from Last Crusade, with a little Harry Potter thrown in in the lighter more mysterious parts. Over all I was well pleased and will watch it again for sure. Can't wait for the next one to come out in the trilogy.
I loved how they tore up a town piece by piece getting down to the port. That part there had the fast paced Indy feel to it and Spielberg action written all over it. Even had a tank for good measure. I think Spielberg did right by this story and cast of characters. He is a huge fan of the comic & cartoons so it stands to reason he would do it a justice.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe