Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

nihil

One of the Regulars
The Big Sleep. An extremely good movie.
I watched The Maltese Falcon a few weeks ago or the first time as well.
I can't believe I haven't acquainted myself better with mr. Bogart and his excellent movie career.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
One, Two, Three. Again.

James Cagney is just great here, carrying the whole film almost single-handedly, even though Hotte Buchholtz (whom Cagney immensely disliked), Pamela Tiffin and Lilo Pulver are absolutely wonderful in their own right. I think Cagney never had so many lines in a single film before - and at such a speed, too!

Sitzen machen!

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Murder Ahoy, a Miss Marple mystery from the sixties starring Margaret Rutherford who is always worth watching. Last week, Murder At The Gallop another Agatha Christie story with the same star. For some reason I never saw these before.

Speaking of The Big Sleep I have a DVD with the original 1945 version as well as the recut 1946 version everyone has seen. The 1945 version is a better picture if you ask me. The movie was recut and new scenes added to play up the Bogart/Bacall romance but it doesn't do the story any good.

By the way the movie might make better sense to a modern viewer if you told him (or her) that in the old days it was police policy to protect the victim of blackmail from exposure if at all possible. This explains why the police recommended a private eye for the job, to keep the Sternwood name off the police blotter and out of the papers, why Marlowe was so cagy with the cops, and other things in the movie that are otherwise puzzling.

Connery

One Too Many
Incredible movie. But, that pie scene is sure to become a classic moment in cinema!

Great movie all around..:D

minny-at-the-door-with-an-apology-a.jpg
lollollol

nihil

One of the Regulars
Speaking of The Big Sleep I have a DVD with the original 1945 version as well as the recut 1946 version everyone has seen. The 1945 version is a better picture if you ask me. The movie was recut and new scenes added to play up the Bogart/Bacall romance but it doesn't do the story any good.

By the way the movie might make better sense to a modern viewer if you told him (or her) that in the old days it was police policy to protect the victim of blackmail from exposure if at all possible. This explains why the police recommended a private eye for the job, to keep the Sternwood name off the police blotter and out of the papers, why Marlowe was so cagy with the cops, and other things in the movie that are otherwise puzzling.

Interesting. I'll definitely watch the movie again sometime in the not too distant future. I'll try and find the 1945 cut. It would be a good touch if it could be a little 'tighter' which was the only thing I could put my finger on.

In the same vein, I saw Angels With Dirty Faces today. Terrible movie if you ask me. The kids were just plain annoying, and I didn't like Cagneys performance. The story were too predictable, and much of the performances from the minor cast was just awful.

Off to watch Swing Kids. Sounds promising.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe