Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to do when they just don't get it

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Dogs

I've encountered a number of dogs that were afraid of my hat. I sometimes take it off and put it on the floor so they can sniff it and realize it's only an inanimate object. I take it off and put it back on a couple of times. This sometimes helps. If it doesn't, I usually hold that hat in my hand for the moment.
As far as significant other is concerned, mine really likes my hats, so I'm lucky there. She's not into vintage but likes the couple of outfits I've bought her.
I think the comments about insecurity are probably on the money. A lot of people are threatened when their spouse is interested in ANYTHING other than them. This kind of extreme insecurity can be very damaging to a relationship. I would not be so bold as to offer advice on how to address this issue, tho. But try to be aware of it.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
My wife gets it, and usually loves my hats.

It does drive her up the wall, however, if I wear a brown hat with a grey suit! And, if my shoes and tie are also brown... [huh]

Slowly she turned, step by step....

At first it was " No way, now how", but now,every once an a while, it's "I didn't notice you had it (the hat) on". She's from California, ex-hippie and everything. I'm from New Mexico/Texas and went "back to cowboy" on her several years ago. All my hats are ORs with a Cattleman/Alpine crown, but with a fedora brim. I'm hoping it will be like living next to a railroad track. After a while it's "What train?".

BTW - Thanks Betty, for your input.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
J.T.Marcus said:
My wife gets it, and usually loves my hats.

It does drive her up the wall, however, if I wear a brown hat with a grey suit! And, if my shoes and tie are also brown... [huh]

Brown shoes can go very well with grey.

nulty

One of the Regulars
My Wife hates my hats...but she loves me...

as long as i don't spend the grocery money and I'm respectful of her and our situation ..she's cool about it.....

Tough nut to crack.

People can change their taste in fashion, epsecially if you could find an example of someone they love, like, respect, coo over in a fedora in a good and pleasing way. Perception shifting, that is what you need. ALso try to get her to a hypnotist and get them to implant positive ideas in her head to negate the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe