Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

J. Hückel ´s Söhne "Flexible Seal Velour", later 1930s.

45719176581_21b7fed10a_b.jpg

45719210431_256d7f1db1_b.jpg

44805251725_57cdd67ebb_b.jpg

45719278901_02cebcd32e_b.jpg

44805335195_8fcf8d9a20_b.jpg

J. Hückel´s Söhne Promotional Pocket Mirror, later 1930s

44946042924_a4bcbcaef1_b.jpg

44756579485_995779490f_b.jpg

Tonight was our community theater's awards night, we call it "Big Night". Wore the NW Hats Navy Longhair. Everyone wanted to pet it! The only picture I ended up with is a shot with one of my favorite actors. More probably will be coming up on Facebook. This is not my wife, but she approved.

View attachment 143195
I love the longhair. That’s quite the smile you’re wearing too. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
+1

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Very nice longhair, John. Pound sign on the price tag, so the UK.
Thanks Stefan!
I did dedude UK from the pound symbol on the price tag. :)
I was referring to the lack of a retailer name on the sweat, so no way to know if a few extra pounds might have been thrown on for buying from a high end London retailer rather than a less prestigious vendor. But regardless, a pricey lid for sure!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Oh my, £186 for a hat, even if it was a Borsalino, in 1980s England was indeed a lot of money. I can't imagine it being sold anywhere other than in or around London. This one being NOS obviously wasn't sold, but others surely were. Only the yuppie, nouveau riche of that time could afford to pay that price. Be interesting to hear where Daniele acquired it.

Thanks Steve!
We would be less well-hatted without Daniele, that's for sure!

$500 is the equivalent of 3,275 Danish Kroner, which funnily enough is what I paid for a brand new Borsalino in Copenhagen a couple of years ago. So £186 for a new Borsa back in the 80s must be about right. Thank goodness for the vintage market today. We wouldn't have a quarter of our hats without it.
I try to explain the origin of "fuzzy" Borsalino and its price. The Borsalino in question is an old stock from a store in southern Italy, precisely in the small town of Surbo - Lecce. The name of the hatshop is clearly seen in the lining. With the arrival of the euro, beginning of 2000, the shopkeeper sold the hat with the indication of a completely wrong currency. He used that of the pounds instead of the euro, which was then little known. Therefore, if you want to see the revaluation of the currency, use the euro as a reference. The hat was never in England and when I bought that Borsalino game they were all new. Thanks for you words about my "Italian hats job";)
Nice, Moe! Those fuzzy Borsalinos are great. I have the 2016 incarnation of that same hat. The only difference is the newer ones do not have the welted edge and stitching on the brim. They are excellent winter dress hats, and the more you wear them, the better they become. The going rate for these Borsalino Peluches run between $400 to $550 depending on where you shop and who you know, so the 30-year price calculation is right on the mark. I'll post a couple and show them to you. I need to take a little time and dig through the attic and pull out some the winter stuff

Here you go. Found a couple of pics. They always come open crown.
31c6b9030eba859b3d701abcb4722f52.jpg
a6458cfc7bcbd298d62d097394762847.jpg

I really like these two Borsalino with short fur. This weekend I made a census of my hats to separate those to wear from those to be sold and I found a pair of very similar Augusta Borsalino. In these days I will do the photographs for comparison. You are all warned that soon I will increase my job as "troubadour and seller of Italian hats"

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I try to explain the origin of "fuzzy" Borsalino and its price. The Borsalino in question is an old stock from a store in southern Italy, precisely in the small town of Surbo - Lecce. The name of the hatshop is clearly seen in the lining. With the arrival of the euro, beginning of 2000, the shopkeeper sold the hat with the indication of a completely wrong currency. He used that of the pounds instead of the euro, which was then little known. Therefore, if you want to see the revaluation of the currency, use the euro as a reference. The hat was never in England and when I bought that Borsalino game they were all new. Thanks for you words about my "Italian hats job";)

I really like these two Borsalino with short fur. This weekend I made a census of my hats to separate those to wear from those to be sold and I found a pair of very similar Augusta Borsalino. In these days I will do the photographs for comparison. You are all warned that soon I will increase my job as "troubadour and seller of Italian hats"
Thank you for the clarification. I missed the part about the retailer being on the liner.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
I'm having a hard time trying to get something figured out with my newest Borsalino project. This is another one that came to me by way of a fellow Lounger. It started out as a size 7 1/8 with a 3 3/8 brim. I took it apart and reblocked it to a 7 1/4 to fit me. I lost only a smidgen of brim width and it's still pretty wide at 3 1/4 for a fedora. It's not put together yet. I'm trying out a few options to see which way I want to go with this. I can very easily trim the brim to 2 3/4 wide and have my self another nice Borsa fedora. The problem with that is that I'll lose the stitched brim edge treatment, and I hate the thought of doing that. I thought maybe going Western or trying an Adventurer look with the wider brim so I don't lose the edge treatment. Still deciding....nothing's put together yet

Adventurer
Black-Borsalino-II-Adventurer-5-B.jpg

Western
Black-Borsalino-II-Montana-3-A.jpg

Decisions. Decisions.

This is such a nice hat and I really like it. I just want to make sure I do something good with it.
Looks good as a fedora too T. The proportions are still nice.

Ryan
Hat size: 7 1/2

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

We can't wait Daniele. Bring it on [emoji4].
Thanks too for clearing up the misunderstanding about the £ versus € sign. Mohawk presumed it was a hat from the 80s, so that's why I didn't think it was a price in euros. That currency came at the end of the 1990s. It's always good to hear of a hats provenance. If it was sold in England in the 1980s, I'd have said Lock & Co were the sellers. However It's 1990s Italian. Thanks again for clearing that up.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Thanks Stefan!
I did dedude UK from the pound symbol on the price tag. :)
I was referring to the lack of a retailer name on the sweat, so no way to know if a few extra pounds might have been thrown on for buying from a high end London retailer rather than a less prestigious vendor. But regardless, a pricey lid for sure!
Yeah, my brains were still on stand-by mode:rolleyes:
Borsalinos were never cheap hats and London retailers ask a premium for hats in my experience. Reading Daniele's explanation makes me conclude he got it cheap (for a full retail that is).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken