Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Borsalino today
hands down the best modern production hat I own.
bc991e448a5ee22e4db1fb24bc644875.jpg

8f95eed392fcc4cc9b3ccd681f0280eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love that hat. That felt looks like it is very vintage like. Perfect proportions.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I love that hat. That felt looks like it is very vintage like. Perfect proportions.
for a modern hat the felt is shocking ...

I went through probably 10 or 12 of the exact same hat at Bencraft ... same hat ... same size.... same color ... and this was the only one that felt the way this one feels ... all of the others were various degrees of thicker and heavier ... this one is tissue thin and light as a feather

... that is one of the benefits of physically going to the shop when picking a hat

Last edited:
Jep, that happens to me all the time.
When I can I will go through the entire stack of felts to get the one that feels the best.
They will all vary just a tad.

Like my grandmother used to do when buying a pie. If there were 100 pies at the bakery, she needed to know she had the best one. Way to go for the quality, Esther!

She didn't start buying pies until she reached a certain age. ALWAYS made her own before.

Some stunning hat choices out there today and yesterday. And good to see some old faces in the mix again. Many thanks for the notes on yesterday's Tom N Jerry. Someone asked, though I can't find the message, on the age. It is from somewhere in the post war 1940s.

Today an Anton Peschel velour customized for Oviatt's of Los Angeles. I have owned two Peschel velours, twenty plus years between them and remarkably similar. So soft as to be form challenged - the shape has to be touched up each time it goes back on. In this way, quite different than the Borsalino and Hückel velours recently shared. The latter are much firmer to the hand. Despite the softness, though, the Oviatt's hat is incredibly lush velvet felt. Photos don't do it justice - you'll have to take my word for it. ;^)

111116_1.jpg

111116_2.jpg

oviatts3.jpg
Great to see this A.P. Velour. It's from the original Anton Peschel factory in Nový Jičín , Czechoslovakia (was Neutitschein, Austria). The felt characteristic you mention is common with this type of fantastic Velour (similar to JHS Seal Velour). I actually have the liner dye stamp.

21694507893_3d23693963_b.jpg

oviatts7.jpg

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
If you know your measurements you can find some incredible deals on tweeds on Etsy or Ebay. I just received a heavy black and gray houndstooth Harris Tweed that fits me like a glove and is in perfect shape for $50.00. Like you, I'm just waiting for the temps to drop a few more points. Also, with the exchange rate so much in our favor at the present time, you could take a look at the offerings of Walker Slater in Edinburgh. Best of luck.

Thanks for the heads up on Walker Slater! I have tons of tweeds on my ebay and etsy watchlists -- I hope the temp catches up to my appetites before the offerings disappear :)

jackm

One of the Regulars
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld