Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TipTop

Practically Family
Went to town on Friday to a friends watch manufactory. It was cold but sunny and I just came on time to pick up my new handmade watch.
It was Borsalino for me on that occasion BTW.... :D

Frank

DSCN2139.jpg

OK Saint, where's the watch? Eager Loungers want to see if it goes with your Borso...;->

BTW, how many long-time manufactures are left in Germany (beyond the reinvented A. Lange & Sohne, Glasshute etc.)

TipTop

Practically Family
That Sir, is a might fine hat. You look like a true southern gentleman with that. I grew up in Houston, but I moved away probably about the time you were born.

+1. I think it is very flattering to your face and the scale is just right for today's market. As for classic, it's "off the scale" VERY nice.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
David, fantastic looking Playboy with great color.

Thanks, Manfred - I didn't know you had a western style hat. It looks good!

+1 on the Dobbs. I like the PB too, DJH.

Cheers, Eric! I really like the Playboy style.

It has rained all day. So, here my brown Borsalino.

Looks as though you and Manfred were sharing the rain today, H. Nice Borso.

I got brave and trimmed 1/8" (or more!) off the brim of my VS chocolate "Indy" hat. Art was right in the beginning when he told me that wide brims don't go well with my face.

Yes, you are a brave man. First to second guess Sir Arthur, then to fix it yourself =) Looks good though!

1950's era Stetson Stratoliner with the true Stratoliner pin, not the one that came with the hat...

Very nice Stratoliner, Tom. I'm lucky enough to have one of those same pins on one of mine - courtesy of Lefty.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
BR, Chepsto, AL, Clossonrr – Thanks.

looks good. bulbous from the sides? from the front view it looks good. the side view is also good. the issue I have with the diamond bash is that it sometimes pushes down the side and creates what looks like a squashed hat to me. IMO.

otherwise i like it. were you able to get similar dimensions with a simple center dent?

I’m a big fan of the squarish-from-the-front hat! I’ve tried a center dent, but I’d have to have a much taller crown to get the depth of crease I like in that style; as it is I hate putting a dome in the hats now. Someday if I can get a tall enough crown with the right shape, I’m going to try the center dent and crease one up like an old photo I have of Governor Floyd B. Olson from the cover of his biography.

If I had a shot from the back, it would be easier to see it mushroom out, the bow sort of covers if on that side. A little work once it gets wet should take care of things. Being oversized, when I shrunk the sweatband down a bit it didn’t do anything to the top of the hat, so there’s some extra felt to play with.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
And here are the results (boy, am I a hat geek, or what?!!!) Anyway, so as to not get too OT---this is the hat I'm wearing today! Still wet from spraying.
downsized_0408021823.jpg

It did come out noticeably different from the last time. Look good.

Just started a complete disassembly of my nostalgia with plans to try and reblock it higher and then re-sew in the sweatband just for fun next month. Thought I might be able to use a hat shaper to set up the design for my own block. Figured I ought to try and do something useful with that nice sovereign felt.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
:rofl:

AL - I've been slacking on commenting of late, but your Chicago shots are fantastic.

Thanks, David, you are most kind!

Congrats on the new Optimo, Al. I like the shorter crown on you and the brown ribbon looks very elegant.

Thank you, my friend! I absolutely adore this lid.

Al I like the classic lines of your final choice.

I really appreciate your kind comments, Ed!

and lastly to "al" those shops of chicago are outstanding!

Today I will sit here admiring your collections of hats! still in my modern whippet.

passing time, why do hats always look sweeter from the side :)

Your Whippet looks outstanding from all angles, in my humble opinion! Thank you for your kind words as well.

Al, fantastic photos as always. Wow, great Hats from Graham, I wish I lived in the US.
Looks, you have a new Panama?. Can I congratulate.

Many thanks for your always nice comments! Graham's fur felt and Montecristis are truly remarkable, and for a hat lover it would be well worth the trip to Chicago just to visit him at his Downtown or Southside locations. If you and your family ever decide to make a trip over to the States you definitely need to include Chicago and Optimo in your itinerary...and be certain to let me know beforehand. We would love to join you there!

Indeed I do have a new Montecristi from Graham, and it will receive a ton of noggin time this Summer. Thanks again, Manfred, and by the way you must have been the most dapper flea market shopper yesterday, despite coming up empty handed! Looking good today as well in the Akubra.

Al, your choice from Graham is as superb as your photos.

My humble thanks, Randall!

Al-

Holy Saturday, indeed!

Congratulations on the beautiful new one-- but ooooh, that Montecristi Homburg always catches my eye!

Thank you, Jeff, and the Monte Homburg caught our eyes as well! ;)

Last edited:

Brando11

A-List Customer
Al- so sorry I didn't get to join you and your family, but thank you so much for getting in touch. Your new Optimo is superb, and your photographs are wonderful as always.

I'll try and connect again next time-

Best-
-Brando

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Ray, David and Al, thank you very much for the kind words and nice comments. I really appreciate them.
I have actually two Akubra. One in black and similar one in sand.

Al, congrats. The Panama looks really good on you.

Jason, good job done, that looks really good.

gtdean, super Strat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe