Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jauntyone

Practically Family
Great seersucker suit, Alucard73!
All of these summery hats you fellows are wearing look fantastic. I'll have to get myself a straw hat!
I wore my Stetson Nostalgia to-day:
Picture311-1.jpg

Picture312-1.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I ordered an 'Indiana Jones Bao Outback' straw fedora yesterday from the Village Hat Shop. If it looks anywhere near as good on me in person as it does in the picture, I'll post a pic.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Great hat and clever photo Michaelshane. Everyone else...fantastic hats. Too many to mention...! ChanteuseCarey..I think I remember that issue of Life. I certainly remember the Twist. :)

WineGuy

A-List Customer
A Rainy day in NY...maybe last chance to wear my Stetson this season

Ever since discovering the Fedora Lounge, while researching A-2 jackets, I have found my self getting caught up in all things nostalgic. I have this chocolate brown Royal Stetson Fedora that I purchased on a whim from the JJ Hat Center on 5th Ave and 32nd street over twenty years ago (around the same time I found my Avirex A-2, see it under "orphan jackets" thread) I wore it a few times here and there and then lost interest and it just got bumped around the house gathering dust for years occasionally getting some use(but no dignity) while shoveling snow off the driveway. I recently put it back into service by cleaning it off with packing tape and steam ironing the brim, it looked passable but unkept.
Yesterday I had to go into the city for a trade wine tasting and decided to visit JJ Hats after a 20 year break. The place has not changed, it was like walking into a time machine with high ceilings (18 ft?) and two story dark mahogany display cabinets stacked with every hat imaginable, they no longer carry Stetson in favor of a broader selection of Borsalino's.
I asked an older gentleman, who I presumed to be the boss, what could be done with the hat and without a word he took it from me and went over to a counter with all kinds of contraptions that looked like they pre-dated WWII. Herman steamed, rolled, burnished, fluffed, stretched and fondled the hat for fifteen to twenty minutes and when he was done walked over and placed it on my head. It not only looked new it fit better than ever and when I asked him how much this service was going to cost me he simply said as long as our tag is in the hat we will condition it for free any time you visit.

One more reason to add to the list of great things nostalgic...old world service!

EHstetson.jpg

Now can anyone give me some pointers on choosing a summer wear Fedora?

carter

I'll Lock Up
Wine Guy, That Stetson looks good on you. Your recounting of your trip to the JJ Hat Center after a 20-year hiatus is even better. Service for the lifetime of your hat is worthy of applause. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Based on your photo and narrative, you may want to consider a summer hat from the same source.

Their Bebop
0812I.jpg

or Milan
0812H.jpg

might fit the bill.

Personally, I like their Telecoco
0812C.jpg

http://www.jjhatcenter.com/index.php?categoryID=4&offset=0

RBH

Bartender
Great story WineGuy! It looks like a wider brim may be what you would like, look at some of the threads about PanamaBobs hats and also the the milans from Miller hats. That may give you an idea of what to look for at the JJ Hat Center.
Good luck!

Nice hat Carter, I like a regular fedora on you best though... :D

Douglas, that Stetson looks super on you!!! I like a thin ribbon best but that width is my next favborite!!! Well done ! :eusa_clap

carter

I'll Lock Up
chanteuseCarey said:
:eek:fftopic: Names of the roses please... the first yellow looks like its a floribunda. How many roses ya got?? We lost track here after hitting 100...
Unfortunately, I don't know their names. I planted two dozen rose bushes a few years ago and now I enjoy their blooms. The ones pictured are all climbing roses.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
great shots RBH...

But it looks like the roses are so big that we can't see you in the picture!

I'll have to come up with a version of hat and roses too... Was asking Chuck about posing possibilities amongst some of the rose-y places in our gardens just yesterday. One of my favorite roses is one called "Lavendar Pinocchio" that was introduced in the 1940s.

RBH said:
Not to be outdone by Carter...:Davenar
here is mt Strato-lized cocoa Miller milan with one of my roses!

005cyy.jpg

007efi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld