Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Eric, I've always wondered, how do you keep your hats free from the pine sap?

Good question sir. Pine trees secrete resin as a defense to close wounds from insects or other forces. I choose the end of branches with an abundance of the new growth needles that are typically free of sap. Limbs show more wounds and should be avoided. As in the case of todays pic, our Blue Spruce new growth can be seen by the very brilliant blue-green colored tips. They provide a cool color that can be "tone" filled to contrast the hats felt. When I take a pic against the pine trees the saturation of color adds a lot to the size of the pic (density of color).

I know you are a photo-tog sir and I hope I answered your query.

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Good question sir. Pine trees secrete resin as a defense to close wounds from insects or other forces. I choose the end of branches with an abundance of the new growth needles that are typically free of sap. Limbs show more wounds and should be avoided. As in the case of todays pic, our Blue Spruce new growth can be seen by the very brilliant blue-green colored tips. They provide a cool color that can be "tone" filled to contrast the hats felt. When I take a pic against the pine trees the saturation of color adds a lot to the size of the pic (density of color).

Best, Eric -

THAT was very informative. I love the color saturation in your pics when you use the pines as your backdrop. Thanks for the info!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Hey folks!
Just got back from a day trip inland where it hit 95° (F. for you non-U.S. people) so this Homero Ortega Cuenca was the choice for the occasion.

b7871221b3868372331a27137903ad75.jpg

Have a great day!

Great Cuenca Panama (Van Halen) MOE ! And for non-US friends 0C = 32F , do the Math ... HOT ! 63 or so C , Rock On Moe !

Best, Eric -

Also tree pitch-related... We have Spruce and/or Pine trees around both our home and office parking areas, so pitch is a problem on the vehicles. Waterless hand cleaner (Purell, etc.) removes the pitch quite effortlessly without disturbing the paint or wax!! I don't know how this would work on felt, but I'm confident about straw. Or just keep it in mind for the car.

Green is GOOD, Eliesti!!!

Speaking of wearing the SAME hat, here again is my PHD by Art Fawcett paja toquilla. They told me to back off on the blue tones, but...

DSC05234.jpg DSC05241.jpg DSC05242.jpg
In DERBY LINE, Vermont this week at the lovely Derby Line Inn and Restaurant, located on the 45th parallel, exactly halfway between the north pole and the equator. They need a hat check, though.

And should I have been wearing my new-to-me Mallory DERBY, in Derby?!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe