Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxworx

Familiar Face
Dogged hat

197400_10151227235793469_1861998188_n.jpg

Hat is a Stetson Firenze, non-vintage, silk-finished in chocolate.

Dog is an undersized merle Great Dane, who hails by "Tucker." Today was his last romp on all fours, so we wanted a couple of pictures. He loses his right hind leg tomorrow morning.

21907_10151227235908469_785969477_n.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Superb photo set, Al, as usual: a real feast of color for the eyeballs. Perhaps I should refrain from asking, but is that red mark on Baiba's neck a "war wound" from playing the violin? Ouch!

Jaxworx, that's an incredible picture. What's the attribution for the quote?

“Through the years of diligence and praise and the discomfort of the elements, I will walk my tour in humble reverence to the best of my ability.”

Tucker is one handsome canine! (Sorry to hear of the amputation. My wife is a veterinarian, and she's the region's best for that particular surgery. )

Last edited:
Al, Way to go Homburg crazy! It really shows the versatility of the style. Great photo set as usual!

Jaxworx, Really like the silk finish on your Stetson Firenze. Also what a magnificent Great Dane!

Weather update form Maryland (20 miles south of Baltimore) 6:00pm Eastern Time.

Rain and wind have intensified some. Still have electricity but that could change at a moments notice.

Last edited:

Jaxworx

Familiar Face
Jaxworx, that's an incredible picture. What's the attribution for the quote?

“Through the years of diligence and praise and the discomfort of the elements, I will walk my tour in humble reverence to the best of my ability.”

Tucker is one handsome canine! (Sorry to hear of the amputation. My wife is a veterinarian, and she's the region's best for that particular surgery. )

Thanks, randooch. The picture credit belongs to someone at ABC News. The quote comes from the Sentinel's Creed, which guides the guards at the Tomb. It reads in whole:

"THE SENTINEL'S CREED
My dedication to this sacred duty
is total and whole-hearted.
In the responsibility bestowed on me
never will I falter.
And with dignity and perseverance
my standard will remain perfection.
Through the years of diligence and praise
and the discomfort of the elements,
I will walk my tour in humble reverence
to the best of my ability.
It is he who commands the respect I protect,
his bravery that made us so proud.
Surrounded by well meaning crowds by day,
alone in the thoughtful peace of night,
this soldier will in honored glory rest
under my eternal vigilance."

It is commonly attributed to "Simon, 1971." That -- and the fact that all Tomb Guards commit it to memory during their training -- constitute my entire knowledge of its provenance.

One may wonder how many men who walked the Tomb are now interred at Arlington. I suppose someone could break out that statistic, but some things are better fit for wondering.

As for Tucker, he's the biggest sweetheart (and smallest adult male Dane) anyone could ever hope to meet. We're hoping they've caught the osteosarcoma quickly enough that he can enjoy life for a while. He's only three. :(

My respects to your wife. We are valuing veterinary care very highly right now.

Best,

Jack

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
For once, some non-traveling pics. Today I went hiking with my diamond willow walking stick and my Tucker hat in the color of Whiskey, by Art Fawcett. I love this hat.

I could have posted this in the shadow thread, too, as you can see in the background:
DSCN0080.jpg

DSCN0071.jpg

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Great piscatorial photos, Dan and bulldog1935. Makes me wish I was on the water as I write this.

Nice to see you closer to home, Blackthorn. Sometimes these backyard romps can be just as satisfying as trans-continental expeditions.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Best wishes to all for a safe passage through Sandy's wrath and fury. Keep your hats on, and batten down the hatches, Gentlemen!

Thank you as always for your generous and kind comments today. They are sincerely and humbly appreciated!

Alan: Thank you, my friend! This was a great Homburg weekend, as evidenced by the ex-Friedman St. Regis sported by Manfred. Still looking to see if Jared will grace us with a photo of the Homburg he wore as well.

Jaxworx: Note to self: Never take a portrait together with a beautiful woman, an adorable child, or a splendid dog! lol All kidding aside, welcome, and the Stetson looks great on you, but Tucker steals the show! Hope all goes well for him tomorrow and beyond.

Randall: Thanks! Indeed, that mark you see under Baiba's jaw is a violinist's hickey. Often cited as a badge of honor from long and arduous practice, it is actually a physiological response to pressure, perspiration and friction, and can be minimized by modifying posture, chinrest size, and using a cloth to absorb perspiration. Many violinists are completely oblivious to their presence, as they are not generally painful or permanent.

Steve: Many thanks! Homburgs are STILL underrated and under-appreciated for some perplexing reason!

David: Thank you, as always!

tomb1013: I really appreciate your kind words, Tom!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Blackthorn, those are great pics. Yours and casechopper's whiskey hats have got me really thinking about that color. Gotta love that CA chaparral. I grew up in that stuff. Yucca, sage, mustard, and fennel? What part of the state?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Al,
prime choices, all these hats! I'm so pleased to see my favorite St. Regis make an appearance! What a wonderful Day of the Dead installation as well--very cool. It must have been wonderful to meet and hear Baiba Skride. I am going to have to check her out in some detail.

Jaxworx, those are very poignant and special photos. Good luck to you and Tucker tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe