Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool Eric... and on a Mac too. :eusa_clap

In my experience, milans tend to be on the heavy side of straw, and the radial construction can make the brims do some strange stuff in humid weather. Yours looks great. Here's to summer!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Not many things can compare to a fine, vintage, natural straw Milan. Except for, I assume, Optimo's Milans. But Eric and Alan: both fine looking summer lids!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Alan and Jlee for the well wishes. As to whacky warm humid antics - I look forward to learning about them. I love my felted hats, but last summer I struggled staying comfortable wearing them. Send all the advice you think I need as I am a novice in this catagory of hats.

Admitted novice milan/straw hat wearer, Eric -

Last edited:
Alan, Your Knox Premier Milan looks fantastic!

Jared, Steve... thanks. Here is an interior shot - the sweat is 2".

knox_milan4.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I really like the blocking of you BBP.
I agree, nice BB Dave.
David, Good looking BB, I like the proportions, crown height and brim width.
Hi David,
Have you posted close-up images of this panama? It looks nice.
cheers,
Alan

Thanks guys, this Brent Black was an eBay find that I took a chance on - poor photos - but the price made it worth the risk.

What arrived wasn't my dream hat, but it is fast becoming a favorite for warm weather.

The packaging was poor and the hat squashed so I had to try and get some shape back into the hat. I basically sprayed the heck out of it and reblocked it open crown, then put in my usual center crease instead of the original teardrop. The brim was all over the place as well, so I fought with it for a while.

Alan, I've not had a chance to take any photos as yet, but I will. Considering the ordeal the hat went through it is in pretty good shape. Biggest problem is that it has a very thin cheap sweatband (surprising considering how much Mr Black charges for his hats) which was dry and splitting in a couple of places. I'm thinking I'll ask Tom Gomez if he can replace the sweatband at the end of the straw hat season, the ones he uses are a thousand times better than the BB one.

I love your Knox milan, Alan - I still have nightmares caused by you beating me in that eBay auction last year! :D

David, looks fine the BBP.

Thanks Manfred. This hat is my first Montecristi - it won't be the last!

Eric - two super hats for you today. I especially like the milan which reminds me of my Disney one. You are going to enjoy straw hats; be careful though, it can easily get addictive!

Joe - nice new hat from Art!

DJH great Panama, as usual great collection.

Thanks, Javier. I like your Dobbs milan. Looks as though this has been a good straw hat day all around.

TPD166

One Too Many
Well, the day started with my Stetson Milan Stratoliner. But during a trip to Paris Hatters after work (with no intention of buying a hat), the day ended with new Open Road-style panama straw that Abe has made for his store. Very happy with it - nothing like my Stetson "straw" OR.

Paris_hatters_Panama_OR.jpg

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Such a splendid day of hats, gentlemen!

David: Beautiful Montecristi. Summer is not nearly long enough...

Eric: An outstanding double-header today. I sense more fine straws are in the offing for you this Summer!

Alan: One of my favorite Milans of all time. That pug is stellar, simply incomparable!

winter_joe: I like the rakish way you wear your new VS. Congratulations!

JAVIER: Excellent Milan, but where is the noggin shot? ;)

Robert: Very nice! I found your comment: "But during a trip to Paris Hatters after work (with no intention of buying a hat), the day ended with new Open Road-style panama straw that Abe has made his store" to be both hilarious and oh so prophetic.

Steve: Another knock-out. That Velourette finish looks like incredibly smooth suede.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe