Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
This afternoon I been wearing my Buckarro Hatters Harvester.

004jrw.jpg

I LOVE the felt/ribbon color combo. Very well done RBH! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Im finishing up the workday in my 1950's Barrister. Its my daily hat that I wear to work with a Double Breasted overcoat. Today is casual friday at the office, so no tie today.

12102010078.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
RBH, that Harvester colors and style are stunning. Cool!

Josh: no need for a tie to wear that hat. That hat can stand on it's own with you wearing it.

scooter: Welcome to the lounge. There are 5 basic types of hat edges, Underwelt, Overwelt, Cavanagh Edge, welted, and Raw Edge.
First, raw edge is just that, no special edge treatment, like this:
VSWhiskeyownedbyDRBJune1920101513.jpg

Then there is the underwelt: It is difficult to do, most do it with a machine. The edge of the brim is turned down and sewn in place, creating a little ridge that can be seen from below the hat. It is used sometimes on the lighter felts to provide strength to the brim so that it does not become wobbly looking. Look at the underside of this hat and you will see an underwelt:
Dec072010f17.jpg
or
Optimo1000Oct1220101.jpg

Then there is the overwelt. The overwelt is used for the same reason as the underwelt, for stability. Some use it for an aesthetic appeal.

Finally, there is the welted edge: It is just a piece of thin decorative ribbon, which can also add stability to the brim.

Hope this helps: Dennis (DRB)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe