Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buler

I'll Lock Up
"Up north" this weekend. We had to go to one of our favorite places, Soda Pops restaurant in Eagle River, WI. A charming little place with a restored vintage soda fountain. Great food and atmosphere. I have not met the owner but I like him already!

For more info on the restaurant visit www.soda-pops.com and click on "about".

MarkD, welcome to the lounge from a fellow Wisconsinite! Glad to see another here. Both lovely ladies have tremendous smiles!! Your daughter looks great in the cap. She needs to try out a fedora!

B

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I wore my Federation while going on a brisk hike in the hills near my house. No pictures of the trails unfortunately, due to my lack of Mac skills. The hat still looks good despite all of the rough wearing near a whole year's time of ownership:

Natural lighting:

Photoon2010-10-25at18242.jpg

Desk, artificial lighting:

Photoon2010-10-25at18262.jpg

Whaddya think? Should I go for a tapered fedora like the acorn fawn Stylemaster, or the straight-blocked Federation in the tawny fawn color? I'm sold on the looks of the Campdraft and other Open Road style hats too, for that matter.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, the clothes are a bit country looking, there. Flannel shirt with two pockets, jeans, hat even adds a certain something to the effect.

But the problem is, I'm so hung up over finding those perfect hat proportions. Outside of the Fedora Lounge and Chronicles, I have been complimented on it countless times. I think that says something; that the shape and style works. On the other hand, I'm dealing with small things here such as the subtleness of the taper, a somewhat low crown, medium width to wide brim, etc... Upon closer inspection of my photos, one thing I have noticed is that the height of my hat's crown is about the height of my face shown in the pics. Is that supposed to be the way a fedora sits on the head, or should it be proportionally lower for guys like me? Too tall?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Check with Louise at Helmer Haberdasher's in Portland ( here's a limnk http://www.johnhelmer.com/level.itml/icOid/6 ) order the Stylemaster in a Mid-Brown ( it's a GEORGEOUS DARK CHOCOLATE BROWN :) ) and put it on your head and don't take it off till spring :) It will work for dress, with jeans and that leather jacket you have and most everything else!! The pic of it that really shows how it looks ( though it's dk grey) is the one on DM's site. The one on the Akubra site doesn't really show it well. Give it some thought ! :)

Bebop

Practically Family
Upon closer inspection of my photos, one thing I have noticed is that the height of my hat's crown is about the height of my face shown in the pics. Is that supposed to be the way a fedora sits on the head, or should it be proportionally lower for guys like me? Too tall?

I know that people recommend cowboy hats to be the same height as your face but when it comes to fedoras, I personally think a shorter crown height than your face works best. Brim width also has a lot to do with how high a crown should be. I have a similar face shape as yours and I feel most comfortable with a crown that is in the 4 in. range. My face gets lost when I wear my Federation. I just ordered a Stylemaster because the numbers look good as far as crown height and brim width. I also just received a Stetson Roadster that has a 4.25 crown and a 2.5 brim and it looks perfect for my size face and head.
BTW, That Roadster is really a nice hat that I can't seem to take off. I'll leave the details for another thread. :)

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
J.B. I think the Stylemaster will work for you. A little more taper & a bit less crown than your Fed will suit the shape of your face. I tried on a mid brown and an acorn fawn on my lunch break today. Both were very nice, but man, I liked the mid brown.

I also tried on the Hampton in cedar brown (luuurve that colour!!) and while I love the colour & crown, the brim just looks too narrow on a guy my size. The Stylemaster brim just seems to feel right to me. I don't know that I could rock a 3+" brim, like on the CDs etc. and the sub-2" that I was attracted to when first feeling out this whole 'hat' thing now just seem disproportionately small over my 6'4 210lb frame.

One thing that became abundantly clear on my hat shop junket today - the two SMs I checked out had shallower teardrops, shallower side dents & subsequently less taper than my Stylemaster. My hat has been changing shape with use, as the crown seems to get subtly tweaked every time it gets caught in the rain. So now I want to rush home and play with the bash on my hat. Not sure how much the factory bash will fight the change though ;)

C6038256.jpg
[/IMG]

Johnnyphi NOS Adam today. My picture skills are improving.

JB-- I think the Fed looks good on you. I don't really prefer tapered hats myself, but you could try one to see. I think a CD or OR would also work for you. I also like the "rugged" look.

One Too Many
C6038256.jpg
[/IMG]

Johnnyphi NOS Adam today. My picture skills are improving.

JB-- I think the Fed looks good on you. I don't really prefer tapered hats myself, but you could try one to see. I think a CD or OR would also work for you. I also like the "rugged" look.

Hi Sir, You look fine, great and so happy, greetings from S.L.P., México ¡¡¡¡¡

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hatophile, I like that hat; the proportions look good on you, too; and you are on the good way with the pics :D .

The Good, I would suggest you to try a tapered crown before deciding. In my case, once I got used to the classic proportions, I have rarely worn tapered crowns; I have some, from my early hat days, and they do not get much in the rotation.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Last weekend we had a Medieval fair in the district.

DSCN1824.jpg

DSCN1834.jpg

DSCN1833.jpg

They had some "hard hats"... ;)

DSCN1841.jpg

A dangerous-looking fellow:

DSCN1848.jpg

...and his more attractive partner:

DSCN1812.jpg

There was a little exhibition with some not bad looking armour replicas:

DSCN1857.jpg

DSCN1869.jpg