Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Another day in the green Mallory

4980312893_b4039aa661_o.jpg

Mixing things up today, wearing my Indy shirt and green Mallory instead of the Fed IV. I really like this combination, especially with jeans.

Randy

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Torpedo said:
Hi Neophyte,

Congrats for the new acquisition! I would suggest tweaking a little more with the crease; deepening a bit the frontal dip, specially. It may be the pic's angle, but the crown looks too tall on you; if you deepen the dent, the frontal "vee", I think it will look better. Thin ribbons do visually add to the crown actual height.

My two cents, anyway.

Regards!

I believe you may be right, Torpedo. I'm just tinkering right now. I want to keep the crown off my head for once, so I've kept it kinda tall for now. However, I am interested in getting some of that Euro vibe going on in my hat (lowish crown, wide brim, slight taper), but we'll see.
Thing is, if I lower the front, then the front of the "dome" on top will rest on the top of my head. Maybe if I seat it higher on my head...

Anyway, thanks for the advice, and I totally agree.

Neophyte

Michaelshane said:
That hat is sweet........:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Isn't it? :eusa_clap

He always calls the ribbon "pea soup" green or "puke" green, but the photos he takes make it look like a golden-green. I like this hat every time he posts it lol.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
I believe you may be right, Torpedo. I'm just tinkering right now. I want to keep the crown off my head for once, so I've kept it kinda tall for now. However, I am interested in getting some of that Euro vibe going on in my hat (lowish crown, wide brim, slight taper), but we'll see.
Thing is, if I lower the front, then the front of the "dome" on top will rest on the top of my head. Maybe if I seat it higher on my head...

On the other hand, though, even though Torpedo is probably right, you sort of have a trademark, at least in my opinion, of wearing insanely tall crowns and huge brims. It's pretty cool to have a trademark. Sometimes doing something wrong, consistently, can make it right. It's when you're only wrong once in a while that people look at you funny. That's my philosophy, anyway.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Neophyte said:

I see. Maybe you should try a style which allows for a "dome", and so increase your head room, a c-crown or a diamond crown?

Regards,

Daniel

danofarlington

babs said:
61329_1628778038893_1219833759_1761393_2089668_n.jpg

61977_1628778198897_1219833759_1761394_8300247_n.jpg

Don't know if the pic will work for all.. FINALLY snapped a pic of the campdraft. Finally found a nice rainy day to get 'r out in the weather. Got a prototype diamond bash going now after it got good and soaked. Excuse my ugly mug.
I'd say the hat is working as planned.

Pompidou said:
On the other hand, though, even though Torpedo is probably right, you sort of have a trademark, at least in my opinion, of wearing insanely tall crowns and huge brims. It's pretty cool to have a trademark. Sometimes doing something wrong, consistently, can make it right. It's when you're only wrong once in a while that people look at you funny. That's my philosophy, anyway.
Style and what's in fashion may create bounderies for what's considered in for a hat or a suit. However, if you read the "how to fit a hat to your face and head shape" guide, which I think is on Miller's Hats website, they describe the idea of looking for a certain balance. If it is a hard and fast set of rules then only a small portion of the populace could wear stingy brims well and most cowboy hats are way too big. We tend to look for symetry and balance as defined by what we are used to seeing. If you look hard enough thru old pictures chances are there were a number of examples of this approach to the crown and pinch. I have my CD set with a front pinch and rather high in the front but it rakes back to low in the back to make a greater angle than "normal" it's a look that I have seen in fims. I think McGraw in Narrow Margin has something like what I describe.

Any way we need people to push the envelope so the concepts of a fedora are not set in stone without personal expression. As you said make it your own. You wear the hat, it does not wear you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust