Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neophyte said:
...I may trim the brim some more, but I have to devise a way to do it (you know, as opposed to sending it off to an expert lol ).
I use a sharp pair of scissors then use fine sandpaper followed by ultrafine to smooth out the brim edge.
I make a mark in from the edge measured with a small ruler to the amount I want to remove.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
zetwal said:
Mario, that last one's a really nice portrait. Lots of subtle shades ... :)

Agreed, that's the second time I've seen one of his photos, and both times it's been that exact same posture and expression. The man's a statue, by God!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Neophyte said:
I usually wear it tilted back, and it looks fine that way. The further forward I tilt it, however, and the brim starts to look massive.

It may be that the brim is fine, the crown just needs to be bigger.
I may trim the brim some more, but I have to devise a way to do it (you know, as opposed to sending it off to an expert lol ).

I really think a wee bit less on the brim and a beefed up crown with good straight, untapered sides and a shallow center dent could work magic. You're the perfect candidate for some kind of Indy-like bash.

Look here. Sorta like that:

SquatterBrimTrim.jpg

Subtle differences can sometimes make for a dramatic change... ;)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Neophyte said:
Agreed, that's the second time I've seen one of his photos, and both times it's been that exact same posture and expression. The man's a statue, by God!

Now, now. I swear I'm made of flesh and blood! And I can change expressions! I've not been botoxed yet! :eek:

It's just that some people like to go with their own kind of signature shot. Think JtL or Douglas, for example. ;)

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
Now, now. I swear I'm made of flesh and blood! And I can change expressions! I've not been botoxed yet! :eek:

It's just that some people like to go with their own kind of signature shot. Think JtL or Douglas, for example. ;)
sovereign_gray_07_30_10.jpg
The last photograph does make it appear that you are a Mannequin rather than human flesh.

Neophyte

Mario said:
I really think a wee bit less on the brim and a beefed up crown with good straight, untapered sides and a shallow center dent could work magic. You're the perfect candidate for some kind of Indy-like bash.

Look here. Sorta like that:

SquatterBrimTrim.jpg

Subtle differences can sometimes make for a dramatic change... ;)

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

How in the........what just.....did you just......w-w-w-w-WHAT!?

Well, whatever kinda witchcraft you just invoked, I see your point. I would totally invest in an Akubra Campdraft for this purpose, but all their colors for the Campdraft are just a tad too bright, unless you wanna wait three months...oh well. As cool as Indy is, I don't really want to evoke that image. Plus I wear my hats tilted back on my head, not at the angle in this pic, and I'm not sure at the usual angle what would look better.
Plus, I got a good teardrop/C-crown thing bashed in there, so that's probably where most of the taper is coming from.

I trimmed the brim again, and now it is about 2-3/8" on the sides and back and about 2-1/2" on the front (I like the front at a steep angle).

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
DOUGLAS said:
I dig Mario's portraits. They are painterly and seem to be dream like... very cool

:arated:

Mario has his own distinctive look -- and that is a high compliment. :eusa_clap

Love the look of the Stetson and the Mallory over the last couple of days, Mario. :)

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:
Very sharp, Jimmy. It looks like yours is a little darker gray than my 20, but otherwise a very similar look. How do the felts of the two compare?

Where's Bodie?

First off -- thanks, gents, for the nice comments about the Dobbs 100. I feel incredibly fortunate to have crossed paths with such a lid.

BobC -- the color on the Dobbs 100 is a taupe, leaning in the dark tan direction. You may remember it from Monteagle -- it is the hat that I wore to the High Point.

In terms of comparing the felts, I am a big fan of the Dobbs 20, in general -- very, very nice felt with a smooth finish, and a great look with the Guild Edge. The felt on the "100" is much more dense, and the finish is smooth as glass -- really unbelievable.

And, lastly -- Bodie was busy guarding your Dobbs 20 while I was taking the photo...:D

Cheers,
JtL

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Neophyte said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

How in the........what just.....did you just......w-w-w-w-WHAT!?

Well, whatever kinda witchcraft you just invoked, I see your point. I would totally invest in an Akubra Campdraft for this purpose, but all their colors for the Campdraft are just a tad too bright, unless you wanna wait three months...oh well. As cool as Indy is, I don't really want to evoke that image. Plus I wear my hats tilted back on my head, not at the angle in this pic, and I'm not sure at the usual angle what would look better.
Plus, I got a good teardrop/C-crown thing bashed in there, so that's probably where most of the taper is coming from.

I trimmed the brim again, and now it is about 2-3/8" on the sides and back and about 2-1/2" on the front (I like the front at a steep angle).

Neophyte -- You're not going to evoke the Indy image just because you're going for a certain kind of bash. That kind of crease has been around long before Spielberg came up with the Indy character. Just leave the whip at home and you'll be fine. But if you get any stupid comments: go post 'em!! :D

About the bash: it's usually the center dent that introduces most side taper to the crown. The deeper the crease, the more severe the taper. Teardrops/C-crowns and diamonds (are a men's best friend, don't you know?!) won't taper the sides as much. But if you go with a really shallow center dent (ok, you'll need a hat that can take that crease), the sides will remain straight and the crown will stand bold and tall. And you still can wear your hat tilted back as far as you want. All Indy images aside, I think the way you have bashed your crown at the moment too much resembles your facial shape. Looks like it has been mirrored upside down. You want the hat to compliment your face so maybe you'll need to balance it out with a less tapered crown. Of course it's your decision and you have to go with whatever makes you feel comfortable. Still, I think a taller crown with straight sides and a brim of 2 1/2"-2 3/4" would suit you just fine.

My...well...$0.02...no...my $0.20...! :D ;)

Neophyte

Mario said:
I think the way you have bashed your crown at the moment too much resembles your facial shape. Looks like it has been mirrored upside down. You want the hat to compliment your face so maybe you'll need to balance it out with a less tapered crown. Of course it's your decision and you have to go with whatever makes you feel comfortable. Still, I think a taller crown with straight sides and a brim of 2 1/2"-2 3/4" would suit you just fine.

I think you're right.
SquatterREBORN2.jpg
SquatterREBORN1.jpg

...it does kinda look like I mirrored my face. I was planning on getting a Campdraft and trimming down the brim, but the only color that's dark enough is the Bluegrass Green, and I already have an awesome green hat...I do need a grey hat...maybe I'll give Glen Grey a try.

Neophyte

Tone said:
SquatterREBORN3-1.jpg
SquatterREBORN2.jpg
SquatterREBORN1.jpg

THAT'S why the Squatter's an awesome hat. Looks sharp. Balanced. ;)

Nicely done, Neo.

Thank you very much, Tone. The Hollywood flip has bee incorporated mostly because I didn't cut the front of the brim totally even lol .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe